You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

Golfer11, you will not master it that quickly, of course, as Madame points out. Mastery takes time and effort.  But you can learn to use it efficiently, prolly not in 10 days, but there is a comprehensive in-app Help section that will answer any question you might have.  And the online videos are a fantastic learning tool, showing you how to do not only the things you want to do but the ones you had no idea you could do.  It's worth the time and effort and will make your photography much more satisfying.  Use your 10 days to sample what's possible and then...I would recommend...just buy the app and dive in.  This is an extremely knowledgable and helpful forum and there will always be someone willing to answer your questions and help you figure it out.

I am very pleased to have switched from PSCC to Affinity Photo as soon as 1.5 came out; think it excellent and grateful for clear and apposite video tutorials.  I would like to add my voice to the production of text - not minding if it is in the form of an ebook and I can print what I need.  I am what you might call an everyday camera club member who likes to try occasionally to produce something a bit like I think a good photographer might produce!  Text helps me find information that I once learned but forgot because I don't do it all the time.

To those 'beginners' who comment above about not getting to grips with the software - I fear some may think a powerful programme such as this is a one-button producer of effects instead of a toolbox or paintbox.  The fun is creating one's own thing - otherwise just buy Topaz or Nik or ON1 and click on what their designers do for you.  That's great for some things but I find it less satisfactory.  Happy days!

I could not understand how you can add the image (14:12) and make the perspective distortions (I cannot do this with AD)!?!?!?

Can someone tell about this?

UX/UI Designer & Affinity Designer user on Facebook | on Behance | on Dribbble

AMD FX-9370 Eight-Core (Vishera)/ 4.4GHz/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB/ SSD/ HDD1TB / DDR3 2x8GB

• Staff

Hi FriendDesign,

This is achieved through the use off a Live Perspective Filter (that can only be created in Affinity Photo) which can then be edited/manipulated in Designer as if you were in Affinity Photo.

To create it you can switch the document between the two programs using the menu File ▸ Edit in Photo/Designer (depending on the program you are in).

Hi FriendDesign,

This is achieved through the use off a Live Perspective Filter (that can only be created in Affinity Photo) which can then be edited/manipulated in Designer as if you were in Affinity Photo.

To create it you can switch the document between the two programs using the menu File ▸ Edit in Photo/Designer (depending on the program you are in).

Is there a video where I can watch the process?

Thks!

This Video?

AMD FX-9370 Eight-Core (Vishera)/ 4.4GHz/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB/ SSD/ HDD1TB / DDR3 2x8GB

• Staff

No, that one doesn't use a Live Perspective Filter. The distortion you are seeing in the billboard is just a simple skew/shear which can be accomplished in Affinity Designer alone. To achieve that you have to create two designer documents: one for the design itself and another with just the Image/billboard.

Then save the design document  and drag it (the afdesign file) from the Finder (or Windows Explorer) to the billboard document you have created to embed it there. You can then close the original design document. Now double-click the embedded document on canvas to open it in a new document tab/window (on the Mac you must go to the menu Windows ▸ Separate Mode to be able to see both documents at the same time as in the video). Edit the embedded design document as you see fit and the billboard document will be updated in real-time as in the video. To adjust the embedded document to the billboard image, change to the Move Tool, select the embedded document, scale it as if it was a regular object then use/drag the middle bounding box handles to skew/shear it to adapt it to the billboard.

No, that one doesn't use a Live Perspective Filter. The distortion you are seeing in the billboard is just a simple skew/shear which can be accomplished in Affinity Designer alone. To achieve that you have to create two designer documents: one for the design itself and another with just the Image/billboard.

Then save the design document  and drag it from the Finder (or Windows Explorer) to the billboard document to embed it there. You can then close the original design document. Now double-click the embedded document on canvas to open it in a new document tab/window (on the Mac you must go to the menu Windows ▸ Separate Mode to be able to see both documents at the same time as in the video). Edit the embedded design document as you see fit and the billboard document will be updated in real-time as in the video.

Thanks, I'll try and after show the result =)

==============================

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!! I understood!! Thank you kind man! I just used the usual perspective tool, but I need a live perspective filter !!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great tutorials! I wonder if it's possible to fix the "Autoplay next video" order in Vimeo? The main list of tutorials appears to be organized fairly well but the Vimeo autoplay order is random or seems that way. I like to get on my exercise bike and run through these videos just to get an idea of what's available in Photos. (I'll probably have to watch them again, maybe more than once, when I really want to use something, but this is a great way to get an overview.)

thanks

• 1 month later...

These videos are great! Extremely helpful. 

Most of the photos that I am working with are of glass. And it is very difficult to photograph. Most of the problems I run into is the reflection from the light source. Is there an easy way to remove the reflection? Also I will catch myself in a reflection as well. I know that using different lens and really expensive lights, and other equipment would stop a lot of the problems that I`m having, but I don`t have the money to buy all of it. 

Here is a sample of one of my photos. It is in jpeg, but I normally edit them in a raw format. And this one hasn`t been edited yet.

IMGP3504.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

James,

Your Tutorials are extremely helpful and you have the ability to give the user the feeling that post processing is easy although it is pretty complex.

What I'd like to see in an other tutorial in which you post process images of the Northern Lights.  I am going up and down on this.  I would be great if you can start with RAW development and then further process it in Affinity Photo.  

Your Pin Stars sharp video helps, but it effects the lights dramatically, so it is not an option.

I am looking forwards a tutorial on this subject.  If you have no image..please let me know and I can share one with you.

thanks.

Cheers.

Really like the series of tutorials listed here. It's great to be able to access them sequentially. Is there any list like this that points to the same tutorials on YouTube? I'm having considerably problems with playback of the Vimeo files. They don't load the entire video, only during playback, and often playback is faster than download so it stalls, or worse the whole screen goes green.

Anyway to see these in order on YouTube?

Thanks very much.

1 hour ago, TomWolsky said:

Really like the series of tutorials listed here. It's great to be able to access them sequentially. Is there any list like this that points to the same tutorials on YouTube? I'm having considerably problems with playback of the Vimeo files. They don't load the entire video, only during playback, and often playback is faster than download so it stalls, or worse the whole screen goes green.

Anyway to see these in order on YouTube?

Thanks very much.

The OP to this thread includes the following links, but I've no idea whether they're in exactly the same order:

Vimeo - http://affin.co/PhotoVids
YouTube - http://affin.co/photoyt

If you click on the link in the bottom right-hand corner of the description box for one of the Vimeo videos (see attached screenshot) you will be taken to a page which displays your chosen video on its own and includes 'Download' and 'Share' links.

APh-Vimeo.jpg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you very much. That's very helpful. I'm afraid the horrible YouTube software has made finding the material sequentially a mess. It's just a jumble of Affinity videos. I'm sure many are very useful, but finding your way through them in a sensible progression is impossible. It's not quite as bad as Facebook's software, but it's close. 

• Staff

Hey all, just a quick post - during a dry spell I rerecorded Live Perspective Projection (better example) and did a new video on Dual Perspective Correction. Here are the links:

Live Perspective Projection

Dual Perspective Projection

They've also been updated/added to the first post. Hope you find them useful!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

There was a time not that many years ago when corporations provided user manuals and instructions for their products. The tech industry has led the way in the elimination of this valuable aspect of a product. Without instruction manuals, many, many products -- PARTICULARLY tech products -- are completely worthless. As others have commented, video tutorials are not adequate. There is no easy way to look up the information one needs because there is NO topic index referring users to the correct videos and time on the applicable videos to lead users to the information we need. Furthermore, I know from using videos to teach online courses that the excuse that constant updates are necessary is not adequate. It is MUCH easier to edit text than it is to edit video. In fact, instructional videos require scripts, and those scripts are initially text. Since the text must be produced and revised before the videos can be produced and revised, it simply makes no sense that at least an online manual can't be made available and kept up-to-date more quickly than video tutorials.

As a consumer, I'm sick of paying corporations for products and then having to conduct research, buy expensive manuals, or simply muddle through learning how to use the products. It is fantastic that consumers often post instructions on YouTube. But I'm not paying the consumers to teach me how to use products; I'm paying corporations to do so.

Our economy is increasingly unconcerned with consumers and, therefore, quality and service. What a delightful culture technology has created.

On 17/10/2017 at 1:58 AM, TomWolsky said:

I'm afraid the horrible YouTube software has made finding the material sequentially a mess. It's just a jumble of Affinity videos. I'm sure many are very useful, but finding your way through them in a sensible progression is impossible. It's not quite as bad as Facebook's software, but it's close. 

To TomWolsky and Alfred

I remember starting on here and finding a James Ritson post that helpfully pointed to an alternative Affinity YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZN-kIrZUQyoTnexM3jJAw/playlists?sort=da&flow=grid&view=1

This has the videos helpfully grouped by theme into playlists that progress you from beginner onwards. In the top right corner, if you click Sort By and choose Date Created (Oldest), you can just work your way down the page as you see fit.

I think this alternative Affinity page deserves to be made the default YouTube portal. It is more useful in getting to grips with the programme.

R

59e86c81efffd_APYouTubeplaylist.thumb.jpg.ff9177c14e79286fb834e01bdca1f4de.jpg

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey all, stay tuned for some new videos soon - in the meantime, I've started experimenting slightly with the way the tutorials on the first post are formatted. To start, I've begun adding links to both Vimeo and YouTube versions, as it's clear that Vimeo doesn't work too well for a number of people. Additionally, I've also tried adding descriptions and keywords for the videos - the idea being that you can do a browser page search and hopefully narrow down what you're looking for.

What I'm not sure about is whether this justifies "muddling" the layout (see the Beginners section which I've formatted). Imagine all 200+ tutorials looking like this - I'm worried it will become too overwhelming. Any thoughts from yourselves as customers would be much appreciated! Perhaps take away the description and just have the keywords? What do you think?

Thanks all, looking forward to posting some new videos soon.

> Imagine all 200+ tutorials looking like this - I'm worried it will become too overwhelming

Yes.

In my opinion you need a way to collapse the new information, so that when I first look at the list I see only the titles, maybe in front of the titles the icon that links to vimeo and youtube. 
Also in front of the title a + sign or "details" or "more"; when I click on that I see the 3 additional lines.
Plus a button "expand all" / "collapse all".

• Staff
1 hour ago, manu schwendener said:

In my opinion you need a way to collapse the new information, so that when I first look at the list I see only the titles, maybe in front of the titles the icon that links to vimeo and youtube. 
Also in front of the title a + sign or "details" or "more"; when I click on that I see the 3 additional lines.
Plus a button "expand all" / "collapse all".

Ah, the issue is working within the constraints of the forum software unfortunately (including image limits per post for the YouTube/Vimeo icons!). Hmm, this will require some more thought...