You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

Affinity photo called my attention when I noticed it includes Fourier Transform capability .  Many of us would like to be able to manipulate images in the Frequency Domain for different reasons however after installing Affinity Mac I only found options to paint out offending frequencies of Periodic Noise but nothing else . The same transform could be used for Sharpening or Hi or Low pass filtering and more . I did not find a way to do any of that .

In spite of that,  the program seems prommising and perhaps more functionality will be added in the future. Wavelet Transforms and Richardson Lucy algorithms would me most welcome . For now , based on what I see,  I have recommended your program on our Facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/Light-Impressions-222381884501510/ 

PS. 10 days testing period is definitely not enough to adequately get to know a complex program and make an informed purchase decision , particularly when you could get a FREE  "RawTherapee"  program that already includes Wavelet Transforms and Richardson Lucy and works very well , although is just as poorly undocumented.

LUIS A GUEVARA 

LIGHTIMPRESSIONS.ORG

• Staff

Just a quick tutorial to keep you going for now: Diffuse Glow Filter

Thanks for the feedback Luis, I'll pass it on to the developers. Photo does have a high pass filter that you can use as a live filter, so you can alter the blend mode and filter strength on the fly.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

OK, a new video for the weekend: Raw Conversion Quality

This one is quite close to my heart (!) as I see a lot of criticism over Photo's raw development quality. This video aims to tackle why that seems to be the case (Photo does not automatically clean up and refine raw images) and talks you through some procedures that you can use generally for every image in order to get a good result.

Have a good weekend,

James

• Staff

Hey all, just to point out that there's a new stickied thread at the top of this Tutorials forum called "Affinity Photo Beginners videos"! It's a set of (currently five) videos aimed strictly at beginners, fully subtitled, with practice files for the videos that require them.

You can see that thread here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/22003-happy-birthday-photo-affinity-photo-beginners-videos/

Thanks!

Dear Acapstick,

I am Jason, a head of a training center in China. 

Affinity Photo is a amazing software, many netizens in China are interested on it. I think no doubt it will have a good future. However, there is no Chinese version user guide or learning materials to reference now. I watched your "In-house Affinity Photo Video Tutorials", it is really excellent. But I saw a message said that you have not a plan to produce French version. So I am wondering to ask would you have a plan to produce Chinese version tutorials in a short time?

I ask this because we are interesting to produce one, looking forward your answer. :)

Regards,

Jason

Help please,

fairly new to AP, but anything has to be better than Adobe PS on Mac.

I work offshore, where wi-fi can be non-existant.  

I'm trying to download the videos in the links provided in the OP of this thread, so that I can watch and learn after shifts, next time I go to work.  However, I'm now finding that section 8 videos on Vimeo are failed links?!?!

I've enough memory/storage on my Mac.  Even tried a power off/on.

WI-Fi is stable at 40Mb per sec.

Any ideas folks?

• Staff

Help please,

fairly new to AP, but anything has to be better than Adobe PS on Mac.

I work offshore, where wi-fi can be non-existant.  

I'm trying to download the videos in the links provided in the OP of this thread, so that I can watch and learn after shifts, next time I go to work.  However, I'm now finding that section 8 videos on Vimeo are failed links?!?!

I've enough memory/storage on my Mac.  Even tried a power off/on.

WI-Fi is stable at 40Mb per sec.

Any ideas folks?

When you say failed links, is that the download link that Vimeo provides? If so, have you tried downloading after registering an account and logging in? Several people have reported issues downloading the video files - the ability to download them is out of our control, but please let me know if you're still struggling with Vimeo and I'll see what I can do!

When you say failed links, is that the download link that Vimeo provides? If so, have you tried downloading after registering an account and logging in? Several people have reported issues downloading the video files - the ability to download them is out of our control, but please let me know if you're still struggling with Vimeo and I'll see what I can do!

James,

seems to be ok now.  Not sure if it is time related, but I've managed to DL sect'8 and most of 9 before the failed links cropped up again.  Will try again later on and if the links are still failing to DL, then I'll look to open an account on Vimeo.

Will let you know either way. B)

• Staff

Glad to hear you're able to continue downloading. I'm not really sure what causes the Vimeo downloads to stop working sometimes. All I can suggest is trying a different version of the download, so if Original doesn't work, try 1080p or 720p. The quality won't be as good but it's better than nothing to watch!

Glad to hear you're able to continue downloading. I'm not really sure what causes the Vimeo downloads to stop working sometimes. All I can suggest is trying a different version of the download, so if Original doesn't work, try 1080p or 720p. The quality won't be as good but it's better than nothing to watch!

I did try downloading other versions of the vids (higher and lower resolutions) when I first encountered this problem, but I noticed that ALL videolinks were failing, when this happened.

All downloaded now, so can watch at my leisure without the need for wi-fi.  

All at 1080p at minimum too, so can even watch on the 65" 4K wideboy in the living-room B)

Sorry, joking aside, it definitely seems that there is a time issue relating to the amount of videos you download.  It may be an anti-bot measure that the Vimeo devs have put in.

Now to watch these vids for a few days, then start practicing on my own images. :blink:

Visiting this web is one of my daily tasks to know if you are uploaded new videotutorials. It is great to have such variety of videos helping us to understand how Affinity Photo works. Now, with the practice files you are going a step forward to help even more your users to understand videotutorias.

Thanks a lot for your support. This software worths every penny I have pay for it.

"The lack of a complete user manual. I don't understand the idea among developers that their job begins and ends with the software and users will fumble and stumble and guess their way to a working knowledge of the program."

I love the program, but it does have a learning curve.  I'm waiting on "Affinity for Dummies" to come out. 

New to photo editing and to Affinity Photo. I've just started watching these videos. They are very clear, concise and understandable; in a word, superb! I feel I've found an amazing piece of software with a set of tutorials to match. Well done and thanks!

• Staff

Good afternoon all,

Here's another couple of tutorials, I quite enjoyed preparing these as they involved dabbling with something I haven't touched in a long time (I used to work with 3D engines quite heavily):

Bit of a departure from editing photography, but I hope they will be of use to people!

Cheers,

James

Greetings from Australia

I need some help please.

I am vision impaired (no sight in left eye and only 0.5% in right eye) so for me to get the best out of AP I have downloaded the tutorial original mp4 videos with the exception of the following 5:

Layer Concepts,

Lab Colour Mode,

Vector Architecture: Worked Example,

Text: Branding/Watermarking and

Maximising Raw Latitude.

Step 1:Selecting the tutorial then Step 2: selecting download takes me to the download page where Step 3: I select "original" which would normally clear the screen and show that the file was being loaded.  When the message has been completed Step 4: I right click and select download file. The download indicator tells me the file (video) is downloading the Viemo numbered Affinity Photo file with the extension mp4.

However for the five videos listed above I get to Step 3 when my download indicator (top right on my iMac) shows downloading the Viemo AP file but it has no mp4 extension.

All other 115 or so videos downloaded perfectly – so can you advise why I can not download these five videos?

The videos by James Ritson are very good and I did enjoy the beginners series which were very well explained and demonstrated.

Can I show some of the videos to my Camera Club?

Many thanks

Warren (stickman)

• Staff

Hi Warren, I've just tried to download the originals for those, and you're correct, there's no extension - very odd. The file however should be complete, you can just add the .mp4 extension onto the end. If you find the file in your downloads folder, you can select it, hit return on the keyboard to rename it, then add .mp4 to the end. Finder will ask you if you're sure you want to add the extension - just click Add.

As for showing the videos, fill your boots as they say! I hope people find them helpful.

• Staff

Hello all, to tide you over until the weekend here's one of three new tutorials: Edge Detection for Masking

This covers creating a mask from the Detect Edges filter and using it for various purposes (anti-aliasing, line thickening, etc).

I love the tutorials and always do what is told with the video, I take a screen take and use that to apply.. Works mostly sufficient, but.. in a video as today the screentake is to blurry to have aliasing edges. So I wonder, is it possible to download that file somewhere for a better quality in doing the practice?

Overal, thank you very much for these videos, I watch them reguarly over and over again. Nice voice and way of talking too.

Hi James

Many thanks for a very quick response. Much appreciated. Have now downloaded the five videos and renamed with extension .mp4. All is fine so again many thanks for your excellent tutorials using Affinity Photo. I also had a look at your web site which I liked vey much. Was good to see your work.

Warren

• Staff

Glad it worked for you, Warren!

Elsea, downloadable practice files are something that need to be discussed internally, the hope is that something might come of it, do stay tuned!

Here's tutorial two of three, Changing Eye Colour.

It covers two techniques that you can use to alter colours in a subject. One is an adjustment-based masking approach, the other a pixel-based blend mode approach.

• Staff

Here's the third and final tutorial for this week, Making Images Pop.

This short video looks at increasing local contrast via the live Unsharp Mask filter and adding a Lighten blend mode. This combination helps bring out some subject separation with busy or tonally flat images.

Please be aware that an image of a garden spider is used from 2m11s onwards (there are warnings in the video and description) if you're averse to arachnids!

Thank you again for the excellent videos James.  

Your videos have explained them so well but I have a question about channels for you.  

Is there a way that you can use more then one colour channel.  For example, can you create a grayscale map for the blue channel and then apply or combine it with the information in the red channel?   

I have been studying some videos about LAB colour where effects are made using more then one channel.  Is this possible possible in Affinity Photo?