You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

• Staff

Been a busy week so far, but here are two more videos:

Abstract Ideas involves taking a photograph and applying filters and adjustments to create an abstract image. ProPhoto vs sRGB focuses on editing in a wider colour gamut, and how to convert that back to sRGB before exporting to ensure your images display accurately across all devices/displays. Hope you find them useful!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Been a busy week so far, but here are two more videos:

Abstract Ideas involves taking a photograph and applying filters and adjustments to create an abstract image. ProPhoto vs sRGB focuses on editing in a wider colour gamut, and how to convert that back to sRGB before exporting to ensure your images display accurately across all devices/displays. Hope you find them useful!

here is some further information about color profiles for starters

Color Profiles /management (e.g. sRGB/ AdobeRGB)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33820-color-profiles-management-eg-srgb-adobergb/?p=165094

cheers

Just a quick post to say I've updated Soft Proofing - it's now more comprehensive and looks at how to use gamut check (as well as exploring the rendering intent options).

Have a good weekend!

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32516-soft-proof-in-practice/?p=158109

I also made a writeup on this topic and can assure that it works really well in practice  :)

cheers 

In order to find new documents it is useful adding the date to individual entries.

The date was present in the past but it is now missing.

Thank you

I second this. Being able to quickly look at the tutorial at the top of this thread and see what was new or update from the date tags was very useful. I don't always read every post to this thread. I could have easily missed you soft proofing update and never have known about it.

Hi, I have just completed viewing all of your tutorials and I have found them extremely useful and enjoyable. Some of them obviously were over and above my needs of a home user but still interesting. I would advise any one new to photo editing to go through them.

I heard about Affinity Photo, but at the time it was for MAC only. As soon as it came out for windows I tried it and bought it. I am really pleased with it and with the training videos which have given me a real boost. Great product.

The only little niggle I have is that at the end of each video it lets you know that you can pose questions in the members forum - yes you can but they are not always answered. I understand that some of the questions are very basic and forum members may not feel inclined to answer. As it appears to the only way to contact the Affinity team, it would be nice if any unanswered questions could be flagged up to the team, so they could give some kind of response, instead of leaving it unanswered. After all, the person posing the question obviously wanted an answer, or they would not have gone to the trouble of posing the question and (whilst it may be simple or a silly question) it may be the one thing they are stuck on and cannot get any further.

I am a long standing Serif user - since purchasing the very first edition of (PagePlus and) PhotoPlus renewing both every 3 years. PhotoPlus was a good product but you had to know your way round editing and its terminology to get its full potential. Documentation and training videos were either poor or non-existent. When I moved from a, point and shoot camera, to a DSLR I became despondent with the programme, so two years ago I moved to Adobe Elements as there were a ton of "How to" videos on UTube. Needless to say I have now abandoned Adobe

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forms, RealAle. :)

The only little niggle I have is that at the end of each video it lets you know that you can pose questions in the members forum - yes you can but they are not always answered. I understand that some of the questions are very basic and forum members may not feel inclined to answer. As it appears to the only way to contact the Affinity team, it would be nice if any unanswered questions could be flagged up to the team, so they could give some kind of response, instead of leaving it unanswered. After all, the person posing the question obviously wanted an answer, or they would not have gone to the trouble of posing the question and (whilst it may be simple or a silly question) it may be the one thing they are stuck on and cannot get any further.

As on the old Serif forums and on CommunityPlus, if your question gets overlooked you should simply 'bump' the thread by posting to it again. (I see that MBd has now posted a reply to your 'X-Rite ColourChecker' thread.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hello all, hope you had a good weekend. Got five more videos to share with you, but this latest addition also marks a bit of a milestone: there are now 200 Photo tutorials! (discounting the Windows ones). Here's to the next 100...

The star trail effect video is my favourite, it looks at using two types of stacking and compositing them using masking to achieve a clean foreground and starry sky.

Hope you find them useful!

Just adding a note here that I've uploaded my notes on all the tutorials as of 14 Mar 17. Details and .pdf in the post below:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37281-notes-on-in-house-affinity-photo-video-tutorials/

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

I've been following the vimeo tutorials, but I am having a little trouble with the cutting of a piece of an image to put into another.  As I understand it, it should be a reasonably simple procedure of simply selecting the area that I want to paste in the other picture, copying it, then pasting it in the new picture.  I have been trying to do this, using the selection brush, but so far it's just been pasting the entire picture that I am trying to cut or copy from.  

It's getting kinda frustrating, because I have been trying to do this simple thing for the past year, with no success.  I need to be able to do this for a business I run (I need to be able to show the product, not whatever the heck is in the background).  Time is running out, and I am on the verge of saying 'stuff it', deleting Affinity and getting Photoshop instead, as I simply have no more time to waste on the matter.  This should be a very very very simple procedure, but as yet I have got nowhere.   I have viewed every single tutorial out there on the matter, read every article, tried what they have said, and gotten absolutely nowhere.

I am a little annoyed because I have spent good money on this product, and I cannot get it to do what I want.  I am no stranger to computers, or graphics design.  I have used them extensively, focusing on programming and graphics design since primary school and I am 40 years of age.  I repeat, this should be a simple case of cut and paste, but has not been the case at all.

Some tutorials mention Background Layers, that appear upon importing an image to a newly opened file.  I have been simply dragging, dropping and arranging images onto the canvas, so whether that does something different I don't know

At a bit of a last ditch effort here, don't want to waste any further time on the matter and would hate to think that this application had ended up being a total waste of my money.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, meanie. :)

I've been following the vimeo tutorials, but I am having a little trouble with the cutting of a piece of an image to put into another.  As I understand it, it should be a reasonably simple procedure of simply selecting the area that I want to paste in the other picture, copying it, then pasting it in the new picture.  I have been trying to do this, using the selection brush, but so far it's just been pasting the entire picture that I am trying to cut or copy from.  

If you go to the Layers panel, you'll find that the layer you're working on is identified as being of type 'Image'. This type of layer is treated as a single object, so you can only perform global changes such as transforming it or applying layer effects.

To work at the pixel level so that you can do things like copying selections, you need to right-click the layer in the Layers panel and choose 'Rasterize'.

Alfred spacer.png

Ah.  Now you see I finally got somewhere!  All these tutorials and written tutorials online and that simple description seems to evade them.  The right click is a little fiddly to achieve on my tablet (I got rid of the mouse a while ago now as there were too many issues between the mouse, the tablet and my iPad.  I have also found just using the tablet makes it harder for other household members to get at my computer as I am always carrying the stylus)

Thank you very much for the help.

Thank you very much for the help.

You're very welcome. :)

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Hey folks, it's time for some new tutorials! (And an updated one)

Had a heavy focus on doing light painting and astrophotography recently, so the videos reflect this:

Hope you find them useful! Even if you're not into light painting or shooting the stars, there are some useful techniques explored in these videos that you could apply to other types of imagery.

非常想学亲和照片视频教程,没有中文字幕真的很遗憾。希望管理员可以看到并得他的回复,谢谢

Without at least some basic knowledge in English language its impossible to get a foot in photo editing in first place - please be considerate 

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Great Video Tutorials. But I have a simple request, could you show the finished product near the beginning of the tutorials so that we can see what the video is all about? Often I'll watch a long video only to get to the end and be a bit disappointed with the result (meaning I don't see myself even wanting to do such and such effect). Just a simple "we took this beginning photo and converted into this dazzling artistic piece of work" would work very nicely.

Keep up the great work!

• Staff

Hello all,

Just to let you know that I've gone back and updated three older videos to improve them - the Image/Canvas resize video has also now been split into two separate videos, covering document resizing and canvas resizing separately. Here are the updated videos:

Hope you find them useful!