You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

Thank you for the tutorials, they are pretty helpful in general.

I wish though that they were some more "workflow" examples for those who have not that much photoshop experience.

I have been an Aperture + various plugins user (OnOne, NIK, etc.) with pretty good results.

I am exited about Affinity since it is a true Adobe contender.

I struggle with the choice of tools and when to apply them...hence: workflow. The sample photos in Affinity help a bit...still.

It would be nice to have a few common examples that feature best practise approaches from Raw developing over tweaking/fixing the image in Affinity to export.

Thank you.

I am from Aperture too!

AP is definitely a very strong photo editing software with a very high learning curve...quite intimidating for those with no layer experience!

Certainly look forward to some detailed step by step tutorial from raw to final save or export with sample photo.

Thanks,

Chris

• Staff

Hey again,

Three more videos for you this week, hope you find them useful!

Technicolor Emulation

Non-Destructive Dodge & Burn

Channels: Creating/Storing Selections

Thanks,

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks for the new tutorials!

The channels one was very nicely explained and the technicolor approach was interesting as well!

- scripting would be huge for such things like the technicolor emulation but I´m currently wondering if one could also get this effect with adjustment layers, not sure yet though, you´d have probably showed it if it were possible 

I´d like to add some words to the non-destructive D&B (just quickly outlining them)

- you can also use two curves adjustments (drag one down and one up) and invert their masks and paint on them

-- maybe you´d want to add a HSL/ vibrancy adjustment to both of them (using their masks) and increase the saturation of the highlights and decrease the saturation of the shadows a tiny bit to compensate for the color difference that occurs by dodging and burning them

- you can use blend ranges/ blend if on either the curves adjustments or the 50% grey layers to restrict their effects to the shadows/ highlights/ midtones like the D&B brushes have the options to chose from

- for a very quick way you can choose a hard small brush and paint white over the highlights (on a separate pixel layer) and black on top of the shadows and then add some huge gaussian blur to those layers, play with opacity and blend modes (and blend ranges) and you can get some decent and especially fast results 

How to use blend if/ blend ranges:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/17364-blend-if-blend-ranges/?p=79182

@JamesRitson - I must be missing a step somewhere. I was trying to follow the "Channels: Creating/ Storing Selections" and at the 1:10 mark in the video, you show Pixel Red, Pixel Green and Pixel Blue beneath the Composite Alpha channel, but I don't see it. Is there something I need to do to generate those channels? Or perhaps there's a setting that has been disable? What am I missing?

• Staff

Hi maritan,

The "Pixel" bit comes from the name of the layer, if you select your Background layer you should see "Background Red/Green/Blue" channels. Apologies for the confusion as "Pixel" is the name given to merged layers (if you flatten a document or merge visible layers). If you've just developed an image, it's called "Background".

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Lost my Photoshop (Adobe) License (CS4) when upgrading my MAC operating system to El Capitan and doing a files backup via Time Machine.  Went through unbelievable hoops trying to get the Adobe License reinstated.  Couldn't manage this; no way to talk with a human or get any kind of helpful hearing from Adobe.  Became totally frustrated by the options left to me by the money-grubbing Adobe machine.  Did some digging to see if I had access to any alternatives to Photoshop, and discovered Apple App "Affinity Photo".  Bought it, installed it, and am in the process of learning the similarities and differences.  I am so grateful to the Affinity development team.  Your software is amazingly good, and your initial video tutorials are great.  You have a sincere fan in this retired University instructor.

Please could James sling a quick video tutorial on the fft fast fourier transform filter.

It would be really helpful, for the target image, to use one that has both unwanted noise (a screen) and repetitive features that will be retained (railway lines would be a brilliant subject for this - apply an fft filter and the sleepers tend to vanish).

It might be that the fft filter's only able to reduce all repetitive patterns, perhaps ...

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James, I want you to know how great all the videos you do. I've been a digital artist for many years and your videos are the very best. I use Painter 2016 for most of my work. Even though I've taken years of courses to learn Painter, your videos for Designer and Photo are fantastic. I was a photographer for many many years and never got use to photoshop. Affinity is straight forward-LOVE THEM BOTH!!!!!!!. I've just finished doing some panoramas, thanks to your videos. I've had the photos since 2004 and finally after about 1/2 an hour I finally got my panoramas!!!! I've also been putting new skies in old photos. Having a great time!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN!!!!

Ray

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hello all,

We've got four new videos for you to enjoy over the weekend, inspired by our time at the Photography Show this year and comments from this thread:

Aligning Images

Tricky Panoramas

Flexible Defringing

FFT Denoise

Stay tuned for a specific beginners set of videos which are also being worked on!

Thanks,

James

Thanks James, useful as usual.

I'm surprised though with the one about FFT. I don't see when you might have to deal with such images, except may be on scanned magazines ?

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

Hi jmac, 

Sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the lack of a user manual.

The focus has been predominantly on getting our Help and Video Tutorials correct. It has been essential that we reflect the UI and functionality in these deliverables up to release.
The good news is that were giving more focus to planned handbooks now.

I'm also concerned that you feel the Affinity Photo Help is not comprehensive enough or that it lacks information. You should find that all tools and panels are documented and can be accessed from the contents or searched for using the search box - if you're not seeing this please let me know.  

Could I ask if you would be able to point out some of these omissions and we'll have a look and get onto improving them.

How do you learn best? 

Regards
Andy 

A printed manual would be very helpful. As you said, you don't expect to print one on paper, but something that could be loaded into iBooks as a pdf would be perfect. Since I'm on a Mac and using the Photo app (not iPhoto), I'd personally be most interested in written or video tutorials for the photo editing extensions. I could build from there, but that would be the basic information I'd need. I believe that others who bought Affinity Photo from the app store must feel the same way. If this is a difficult request, please have a way to access affinity help directly from the photos app. Thanks.

• Staff

Thanks James, useful as usual.

I'm surprised though with the one about FFT. I don't see when you might have to deal with such images, except may be on scanned magazines ?

Hi yakk, some common repeated patterns arise from photographing screens/monitors, fixed pattern noise on imaging sensors (not so common nowadays but some earlier digital cameras exhibited it, especially at high ISOs) and image captures where there has been some external interference to the sensor (aerial/satellite captures for example). Most photographic situations will never need it, but it's there if required!

A printed manual would be very helpful. As you said, you don't expect to print one on paper, but something that could be loaded into iBooks as a pdf would be perfect. Since I'm on a Mac and using the Photo app (not iPhoto), I'd personally be most interested in written or video tutorials for the photo editing extensions. I could build from there, but that would be the basic information I'd need. I believe that others who bought Affinity Photo from the app store must feel the same way. If this is a difficult request, please have a way to access affinity help directly from the photos app. Thanks.

I, too, would love an epub manual.  The online Help is very very good.  I have no quibble with it.  But I only use it when I run into a problem.  But a manual, whether printed or pdf or epub, is something that I would read cover to cover for the sheer interest of it.  That is how I learn best.

James - Thanks for the tip on editing the adjustment layer mask, I wasn't aware of that and had been creating a separate mask when I could have used the built-in.  One thing I do notice is that if you create a new mask layer you have the "refine mask", "edit mask", and "release mask" commands available via the contextual (right-click) menu, while the built-in one for the adjustment layer doesn't have them.  Ah - just found that at least "refine mask" is available under the main layer menu for the adjustment layer built-in mask, just not under the contextual menu. In this instance "release mask" may not be applicable, but "edit mask" still could be.

• Staff

Hi all, based on user feedback we've added a new video that covers layers in more detail; what they are conceptually, why you would use them, and a couple of workflow pointers when using them.

Layer Concepts

Let us know if you find this video helpful and whether it aids understanding of what layers are!

I think the tutorials are good, but they are too fast. Time to re-record and at a slower pace!

I use to pause them.. and rewind if necessary.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I think the tutorials are good, but they are too fast. Time to re-record and at a slower pace!

I'm aware that the perception of it depends a lot on the viewer but since each tutorial is usually focused on one function / technique, it is supposed to go straight to that point and speed up how to get there.

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6