You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

FYI: One of the great values for buying into the Affinity suite, has been these excellent tutorial videos. I like that you keep them short and easy to digest. And, they not only show me how to use the tools, but also give me creative ideas. 

I almost get just as thrilled to see a new tutorial video as I do with a software upgrade. :)

Although I love that these are all reasonably short, but it'd be cool to see a few more of the longer project oriented varieties where you go through using several tools on one project.... like the 2 longer portrait retouching and composite project videos.

• Staff

[Edit] One more video added [/Edit]

Hello all,

As a present for 2016 here are four more videos for you all:

Global Cloning - http://vimeo.com/149628411

Subtle Toning - http://vimeo.com/149269746

Multiple Colour Formats - http://vimeo.com/149265352

Maximum Stacking - http://vimeo.com/150416756

Multiple Colour Formats highlights how, as an example, you can work in LAB with adjustments whilst your document remains in RGB. A useful little feature!

More videos on the way soon - hope you all have a good New Year!

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I am a (very) experienced Photoshop user, but the Adobe license system is really evil. For this reason I would like to make the move to Affinity Photo. 

What is stopping me? 

It has been harder than I expected. When you have a set of automatisms built from years of use of one package, trying to do something simple - like selecting a background colour - in a new package becomes an exercise in frustration. What does the eyedropper do, then, if it doesn't copy a colour? 

The videos are good for what they do, so thanks for that, Andy, but (a) they're completely disordered which makes them pretty much useless from a "how do I do this?" perspective or from a "take me through a workflow" perspective, (b) any given video will almost certainly contain at least one unexplained thing that you need to find another video to try to understand, and © when you find one that seems to be relevant it seems to never quite get to explain the exact thing you want to know. 

The key to the videos is useful, but it is organised strangely from my perspective. The problem is that it tries to do everything, while a set of 5 or 6 more simple keys, each adapted to a single purpose and organised along work flow lines, would help a lot more. So for example a key organised simply to open an image, cut out a shape, float it above a background, and save the result without flattening the image; or one to open two images of the same thing with differing exposures, overlay the two images, and mask the one into the other using a gradient, and save the result; and a few other workflows like that.

But what I would really like is one tutorial for each individual tool in the package.

I just bought Affinity Photo today after being pleased with Affinity Designer. Why didn't I buy it sooner?! By the way, I just watched the "For Beginners" video and it was fantastic. I can't wait to watch the rest of them. I'd be so happy if you could continue to regularly add videos for both Designer and Photo on a regular basis.

BTW: Your excellent videos really sell these products more than anything else. I'll watch them and go, "wow, I didn't know it could do that... and so easily." Then, I'll tell a friend about your apps, suggest they just check out a couple videos, and then every single person I've pointed to the videos have ended up buying the software too. 

Great stuff. Thanks!

Sent 30 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

Good Day,
We are not sure if this is the best place to ask or not, but perhaps you can help. 
We have just purchased the Affinity Photo Program, and love the tutorials, very helpful. However, we are leaving land based life in just a few weeks, to be offshore sailing for a few months up to a year, and will not have a solid connection to the internet to view the tutorials.
Being New to photo editing, is there is there any way we can possibly obtain a CD copy of the official videos as seen on this page, 
https://affinity.ser...utorials/photo/
or download it to view them OFFLINE. 

Thanks so much for your help
regards,
Darren Moloney
username DMol
Please reply to dazmol13@gmail.com

• Staff

Hi Darren,

You should be able to download each video through its Vimeo page, see the attached screenshot for an example. You can click the Download button, then choose the resolution you wish to download (1080p being the highest quality available).

Hope that helps.

post-8578-0-51535200-1451895938_thumb.png

@vicky

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble accessing Vimeo.

If you have access to Apple TV, all of our tutorials are also served up there.

We'll look at other options and see if there is an alternative solution too.

Many thanks for letting us know.

sadly i don't have apple tv. Is there anyway to download the tutorial? a direct download link would be nice :)

thx

stznsa, as a beginner you should be confused.  We all are at the beginning. I am definitely not a pro at photo editing but have used photoshop before they decided to do the 'pay monthly crap' and I do own a standalone copy of lightroom 6 that they do not give any updates to, just bug fixes.  

I want you to know that I am always reviewing videos in this great resource of free ones which also includes the unselfish blog members who post their own.  

The learning curve unfortunately does not happen in a nano second, it takes time and perseverance. This app is an awesome one and you should stick with it.  Unlike Adobe products, where support is at its all time low with the need to buy learning resources, this development team and blog members are here to support you.    

I laughed out loud when I read a users remark that he was upset that this team did not notify him of the time over Christmas that they would not be available for support.  This remarkable development team and blog members are always around.  

You couldn't ask for a better place to start your learning curve.  

Thank you so much for these awesome videos. The value and power of this app increases with each one as many of us do not do enough experimenting on our own.

I learn something new each time, in fact there is so much in each video that I do watch them many times, each time picking up something else. They have also made me do some experimenting on my own. Unfortunately it does lead me to crashing the app sometimes teaching me to save, save, save, every step so as to not let the 'glitch witch' take all my hard work.

I was wondering if you could explain the difference between the photo setting and the photo (print ready) and why I am not getting the colours and brightness from my printer as I see on the screen. I am using an iMac (just prior to the release of the Retina display) and a MacBook Pro with Retina display. My printer is listed as one I can select but still don't get what I want.

• Staff

Thank you so much for these awesome videos. The value and power of this app increases with each one as many of us do not do enough experimenting on our own.

I learn something new each time, in fact there is so much in each video that I do watch them many times, each time picking up something else. They have also made me do some experimenting on my own. Unfortunately it does lead me to crashing the app sometimes teaching me to save, save, save, every step so as to not let the 'glitch witch' take all my hard work.

I was wondering if you could explain the difference between the photo setting and the photo (print ready) and why I am not getting the colours and brightness from my printer as I see on the screen. I am using an iMac (just prior to the release of the Retina display) and a MacBook Pro with Retina display. My printer is listed as one I can select but still don't get what I want.

Hi p_mac,

You're welcome for the videos! It's good that you're getting so much out of them, thank you for the comments.

Regarding your screen/print issue, it is difficult to get consistent and accurate results between the two mediums because they are so different.

One step you can take is to profile your monitor, and you typically do this using a calibration device that you put on your screen, such as an i1 Display Pro or a Spyder. It helps you match your monitor to a certain standard and create a colour profile. For example, I use a white point of D65 (6500K, daylight balanced) and luminance of 80cd/m, and generally my prints are accurate when viewed in daylight. Are you typically finding your prints end up darker than what's on screen?

The other step, which goes hand in hand with profiling your monitor, is to disable your printer's colour management and instead pass control over to the software. This then allows you to use a colour profile specific to the print media. Some printer drivers include profiles to be used with different media, such as glossy and matte paper, and this generally helps you to get more accurate prints.

Colour management is a bit of a minefield and you can end up spending a lot of money if you're not careful! You could try some (free) online monitor calibration websites as a first step and see if that improves your results.

Hope that helps!

• Staff

Hello all,

Four new videos for you this week, a nice blend of technical and creative:

Soft Proofing - https://vimeo.com/152413642

Creating Atmosphere - https://vimeo.com/152433012

Creating Light Beams - https://vimeo.com/152450430

Scopes - https://vimeo.com/154281478

Enjoy!

Hello James

Thanks a lot. All these videos are really helpful to discover new features or to refresh my memory about a particular function.

May I suggest something though ? Would it be possible to add the date each video was published, so it would be easy to spot quickly the new ones when we didn't have a look on the forum or the web site for a while ? (I know... we shouldn't  ;) )

Thanks again for all that work. It's another difference with Affinity product compared to other editors. Online help is great but a visual demonstration is just perfect !

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

Using SoftProof to generate a color look, you guys just made my day  :D Also the hint for the video REC SoftProof was nice! Great Videos as always!

I just didn´t really get the practical use of the Power Spectral Density Scope and I feel like some videographers find the vector scope underestimated.

I think it would be easy to spot the new ones if you´d release them when you upload them because when you cache them as you currently seem to do, new videos appear at their upload date and not their publishing date....

In support of our fantastic photo editing app, please use this comprehensive and structured set of videos for accelerated learning!

The video tutorials are available on the affinity.serif.com website:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/

The tutorial set includes:

1. Introduction

2. Basics

3. Transforming

4. Selections and Masking

5. Correction

6. Retouching

7. Develop

8. Getting Creative

9. Design Aids

10. Finishing Off

Please let us know about areas you think need covering, have problems with, don’t understand, or just tell us if we’re on the right or wrong track. Simply reply to this pinned topic.

Have fun with Affinity Photo!

Best wishes from the Affinity Documentation Team!

Look super interesting. But i don’t understand enough English. IF the tutorials and how to use it in French, it will be super! I tried many thing in Affinity without big success. :(

Hi James, thank you for your latest videos.

I am interested in the soft proofing one as my printer is not giving me the results that I expect. I thank you for your response about calibrating my display. You are correct when assuming that my prints are much darker then my screen. Have done some computer calibration but the other devices are rather expensive so am hoping your video will help me get a better outcome.

I was viewing a video that was to do with photoshop where the gradient tool was being used to give some diffused glow on water. What was interesting is that the gradient went from white to transparent. There is no video on this method but I was able to set that gradient with the opacity setting in the gradient tool setting.

I wonder if you could explain this type of gradient.

Also is there a way to easily save gradients for future use?

Thanks to serif labs for all your great work and help.

Really love these tutorials and how you keep updating them every few weeks. I was just trying to figure out how to do light beams the other day. I kinda of got it but the tutorials that were just put up today helped so much more! I don't have a good working knowledge of vector layers yet and this helped. 

On another note, I think a tutorial that explains what the blending options are best used for would be great. I end up just scrolling through them all to see what looks best because I don't know what they actually do or for what purpose they should actually be used for.

cheers,

Jason

• Staff

Hello folks, three more tutorials this week for you, enjoy!

Curves Picker - https://vimeo.com/154293467

Vector Lighting - https://vimeo.com/152576339

Simple Gradients - https://vimeo.com/152558498

Thanks,

James