You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

• Staff

Hello all, here's a new video for you this week that covers exporting 3D LUTs from Photo and using them for colour management in other software:

•    Exporting 3D Luts

Enjoy! More videos coming soon...

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

Hello all,

Off the back of the new customer beta we've got two new videos! You'll need to grab the latest beta from here http://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/12638-affinity-photo-customer-beta

The Help video covers how to produce printable versions of topics, so if you've been wanting paper copies to refer to, give the video a watch!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Have fun with Affinity Photo!

Andy Capstick

Documentation Manager

Andy, 

Spiffy intro doc. Going through some other tutorials for more info about the many facets of your software.

I'm a moderately capable PS user and an experienced LR user. I'd like to see more information about integration to the LR front end (capture/library module) to use Affinity as my complete Develop/processing back end. LR has hooks to edit in Affinity and I would like to know any tips, tricks or best uses you might suggest of Affinity Photo & Designer in this regard. 

Also, if you have any plans to offer a capture front end to Affinity Photo/ to allow nice integration to an existing RAW library of images to allow editing, retouching organizational capabilities to round out your package. For now I'm thinking about using your product exclusively to edit, retouch all my files. 

techworkspro_v4_300x80.gif.1b0b1c7df511aeb341fc0dbba972a9bf.gif

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

iPad Pro, iOS 12, Affinity Photo, Designer

https://techworkspro.com 

Have fun with Affinity Photo!

Andy Capstick

Documentation Manager

Andy, 

Spiffy intro doc. Going through some other tutorials for more info about the many facets of your software.

I'm a moderately capable PS user and an experienced LR user. I'd like to see more information about integration to the LR front end (capture/library module) to use Affinity as my complete Develop/processing back end. LR has hooks to edit in Affinity and I would like to know any tips, tricks or best uses you might suggest of Affinity Photo & Designer in this regard. 

Also, if you have any plans to offer a capture front end to Affinity Photo/ to allow nice integration to an existing RAW library of images to allow editing, retouching organizational capabilities to round out your package. For now I'm thinking about using your product exclusively to edit, retouch all my files. 

techworkspro_v4_300x80.gif.1b0b1c7df511aeb341fc0dbba972a9bf.gif

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

iPad Pro, iOS 12, Affinity Photo, Designer

https://techworkspro.com 

First congratulations on the standard of the video tutorials.

As a former PS CS4 and CS6 user, I was happy until Adobe introduced their CC rental model and I vowed late in 2014 to start migrating away from PS if I could.  I was therefore an enthusiastic AP beta tester from early 2015 and purchased on launch.

The important point is that I am already a far more skilful AP user(around masks, blend modes, layers, sharpening to name but four) than I was a PS user. There is an appallingly steep learning curve in PS but AP is much more focussed, accessible and easier to learn. Part of this is due to it being aimed squarely at Photographers only and partly because your videos are a great help to get going.

I measure success in terms of the quality of images I have produced and been successful with in my local club competitions and salon "acceptances"and 2015 has been a lot better than 2014. I attribute some good part of this to AP and the ease of learning which your tutorials have given.

I have to remain with Adobe until end November 2015 but can't wait to cancel my subscription. I haven't saved a .psd file for three months now.

No gripes,

Thanks a million!

• Staff

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kind words about the video tutorials, which seem to be well received.

I need to come clean though. We're lucky to have James Ritson here in Affinity Towers to produce and publish these Photo tutorials so I'm not taking credit for his hard work! I'll keep you informed of video updates though, while I strive to deliver accurate Designer and Photo Help along with my other colleague Nat Ravenlock, who's equally valued here :) .

While i'm on..

Here are another two videos to get those tastebuds going again...

Thanks

Andy Capstick

Affinity Documentation

Hello. Brilliant beginners tutorial. One thing I can't do, and have tried many times, is use the In painting tool to erase. I found the right brush eventually, now can cover an area in red, but CANNOT erase the area I have highlighted. I let go of mouse and nothing happens. Any help out there please?

• Staff

Hello Lesley,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have the correct layer selected and not an adjustement layer or live filter.

Also if the layer is correct but identified in Layers panel as an (Image) layer rather then a (Pixel) layer, right-click on the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise...

Let me know if you still have trouble.

These are brilliant. One quick suggestion: publish the key steps in addition to the video; it would make it much easier to remember the tips. For example, on the selective sharpening:

1. create a new live layer with a high pass filter, check monochrome, set blend mode to linear light
  2. invert the layer
  3. paint in the adjustment using the paint brush set to white

Otherwise, keep adding to these tutorials as they really encourage me to use and enjoy Photo!

• Staff

Hi flora,

You can select colours from the Colour panel on the right of the interface (see image below).

post-59-0-15633100-1444308302_thumb.png

We have a specific Persona for distortion/liquify tools. Click on the second icon, right below the traffic lights on the top left of the interface: it's called Liquify Persona.

The Zoom Tool in located on the toolbar on the left of the interface: In Photo Persona is located at the bottom of the toolbar; in the Develop, Liquify and Export Personas it's near the top.

a few questions..how do you pick up color from paintbrush? and where is the liquifier tool? and where is the zoom - tool? 

i appreciate your help

Flora - also, if you already have the brush tool selected, you can hold Option and click anywhere to pick the colour underneath the brush at that point.

If you click and hold for a beat drag (thanks for the correction below MEB), you should get a loupe view that will enable more accurate selection.

Hi flora,

You can select colours from the Colour panel on the right of the interface (see image below).

attachicon.gifcolour_panel.png

We have a specific Persona for distortion/liquify tools. Click on the second icon, right below the traffic lights on the top left of the interface: it's called Liquify Persona.

The Zoom Tool in located on the toolbar on the left of the interface: In Photo Persona is located at the bottom of the toolbar; in the Develop, Liquify and Export Personas it's near the top.

Hi this is Flora again, thank you for your response...your help is greatly appreciated by everyone here....I'm sure :-)

i do a lot of internet marketing. I want to have a picture of a handout on the page where someone gives me their name and email. I want the picture to be angled and possibly a lifted corner and shadow effects. Any tutorial on some ways to make a "product" or "handout" look nice with perspective would be great. I could create these all day long for not only myself but others who also struggle with getting the "look" just right. Thanks

PS I attached a sample doc if you need an example of what Im talking about.

post-15194-0-72479100-1444498261_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Affinity Photo users,

After a brief hiatus we have another set of videos for you, courtesy of James Ritson (docs team).

Channels for Alpha Masking

Target tonal ranges using alpha channels and filter masking.

Maximising Raw Latitude

For Raw enthusiasts, we'll switch off Develop Assistant for tonal flexibility

Vector-based Retouching
Apply vector techniques to clean up and stylize surfaces.  

Start to Finish: Vector Architecture

Taking vector retouching further...

Hope you enjoy!

Affinity Documentation