You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

• Staff

Good morning all,

Two new videos (one inspired by a recent thread) for you:

Hope to be doing a few more before restarting on 1.5 videos, so watch this space!

Madame, are you still having the issue with the Liquify video?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Already downloaded and watched.

I've done the grad filters ever so slightly differently to your second method, but with same results.

Your method gives more control though, and the option of tinting, so will use this from now on.

Thanks again James! :D

• Staff

Well, I finally sat down and did the propeller blur video!: Radial Blur

Hello

I saw the first videos are subtitled. From introduction subtitles they are not. I do not speak English, the subtitles may be in the videos and to follow.

Hi, you are correct, currently only the beginners videos are subtitled. Transcribing the 120+ regular videos would be quite a task as none of them are scripted. Transcription services are available at a cost, and I agree it would be beneficial for viewers who don't understand English, but it's something we would have to look into and make an informed decision about. Sorry I can't be of more help right now, but I understand the problem.

Adding to the 

I sat down and went through a numbers of the tutorials which are as excellent as I expected, having used Designer and now Affinity Photo (Betas thru RTM). Thank you very much for whisking me through the important points and designing such excellent videos.

For those of us who are using the programs on MacBooks, I am being bold in requesting that it might be easier for us (me) to follow if the cursor movements in the videos could be highlighted when they stop and pick a tool (like a brief red circle highlight) because I was paying so much attention to the dialog that it was a bit hard to follow the cursor and tool choices movements.

Perhaps it was because I was more anticipating seeing what 'magic' you have created with the tools and listening to the clear distinguish dialog, that I missed some movements across the screen. I really did not want to stop the tutorial because it was so excellent and logical in its flow.

Smugly, I should think that you could whip out a development copy of your upcoming Affinity Video - (? grin ?) and use the magic 'follow action' tool!

Bruce

Bruce, I would like to support the second para, regarding the highlighting of the cursor as it follows the dialogue. otherwise the videos are excellent.

Diggs

Hi James

I also support Bruce and Diggs comments re the highlighting of the cursor to see which tool is being used. As a person with vision impairment this would greatly assist me in being able to follow the excellent tutorials .

So, James - can you help us?

Warren (Stickman)

• 2 weeks later...

James,

I've watched that video on the radial blur, and I can't believe how easy you made it.  I guess once you have the right step process in your head, things are quite easy.

Once again - thank you very much.

These Tutorials are just what the doctor ordered to get us fully into the prog I feel. A great help.

My use of the prog beta so far:- I think this is the jump Serif needed to make with its programs. I am going to enjoy the features more than I do in PP as it seems a lot more versatile. No glitches to file so far it is working fine. Great work Serif

Edward

Prior to saying sayonara to CS6.6 (I am experiencing an issue between my keyboard short-cuts and PS and Adobe has left me hanging; they no longer support my version of PS) I was working on setting up my Wacom tablet and pen to work with PS.  Aaron Nace at Phlearn prepared a few PS tutorials that addressed setting up the tablet options to maximize utility of the tablet.  There is just enough difference between Affinity Photo and PS to invalidate his instructions.  

Bottom line, an AP/tablet tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Just watched the Supermoon tutorial and submit my effort. I notice that you take a whole sequence of photos and process them into a single image.  I did not have this foresight.  I took a wide angle shot to get the feeling of the Moon in the sky.  Then I zoomed in on the Moon to get the detail.  I copied and pasted the zoomed image into a new layer and I found it remarkably easy to adjust the size of the new layer to match the size of the Moon on the background layer.  Incidentally, this was taken on the Tuesday morning.  Cumbria was clouded out Monday night.

post-42349-0-95926900-1480359117_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hello all, we're pleased to announce that Photo 1.5 is now available for both macOS and Windows!

There's an absolute truckload of new functionality, which has resulted in 36 new tutorial videos for launch. I've updated the first post to include all the new videos - if you'd like to see them separately, I've temporarily pinned a new thread here: Affinity Photo 1.5: 36 new video tutorials

Hope you find them useful, and if you have any questions, please ask!

All the best,

James

• Staff

Christ on a bike James.  That's a fair whack more tutorial vids there!  Looks like you've almost doubled the list!

I can only imagine the amount of work the team has had to do to roll this 1.5 out before Xmas!

Well, doubling the list would have required another 130 videos - maybe we'll save that many for version 2.0  ;)

It's my intention over time to go back and re-record some older videos - not only is the presentation smoother in more recent videos, but there's something to be said for not over-complicating them. The first few sets of videos were trying to cram a lot of functionality in (a good example is the Image/Canvas Resize video) and as a result they're a little hard to follow.

A good analogy, I feel, is that they seem a little like technical documentation: Everything you'd want to know is in there, but good luck deciphering it!

Over time, then, you'll hopefully start to see some of these videos be updated and improved. I'll post updates in this thread as usual.

Cheers,

James