You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

I´ve got a question regarding sharpening as shown in one of your tutorials 

https://vimeo.com/134841742

at 1min 50s you're loading the lightness channel and applying it as a mask to an USM adjustment and saying that you´re only sharpening the lightness channel and not the color channels.

But aren´t you just restricting the sharpening to the luminance values of the image, while also effecting the color channels?

So  isn´t the effect much the same as if you´d choose a top left to bottom right underlying composition range blend ranges setting?

I think in PS one can really sharpen the lightness channel whereas in AP you´d have to create a greyscale layer from that channel, sharpen it, load to pixel selection and paste back to substitute the original lightness channel information?

Thanks in advance! 

• Staff

I´ve got a question regarding sharpening as shown in one of your tutorials 

https://vimeo.com/134841742

at 1min 50s you're loading the lightness channel and applying it as a mask to an USM adjustment and saying that you´re only sharpening the lightness channel and not the color channels.

But aren´t you just restricting the sharpening to the luminance values of the image, while also effecting the color channels?

So  isn´t the effect much the same as if you´d choose a top left to bottom right underlying composition range blend ranges setting?

I think in PS one can really sharpen the lightness channel whereas in AP you´d have to create a greyscale layer from that channel, sharpen it, load to pixel selection and paste back to substitute the original lightness channel information?

Thanks in advance! 

Hi MBd, you are correct and you have my apologies! The video is going to be re-recorded as it's in need of an update anyway. You can currently do what I actually intended to show destructively by using the Unsharp Mask filter from the Filters menu and editing only the Lightness channel (disabling the pencil icon from the other channels).

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

Hello all, here's a new video for the weekend: Creative Painting

This one covers how to really bring out colour and saturation in images using manual paint brush techniques. Hope you all have a good weekend.

Ok thanks for your investigation and the additional hint!

Maybe we could get a checkbox in the USM/ HP filter which would only effect the lightness channel to make this process of sharpening even easier while also being in RGB mode? Much like using curves in LAB mode in a RGB document...

I´d be interested in more techniques on how to get the best sharpening results as many (creating detect edges layer and use that to preserve more details // 1st convert the image to LAB) are to complicated IMO.

I think the high frequency layer of the frequency separation would also give better results than the normal HP filter (less artifacts) but is more cumbersome as well. (I have not tried it out yet although I probably should have done more research on this already) 

No need to apologize overall, keep up the great work!

Hi, I'm new in this forum and new to Affinity Photo. I know Photoshop since 1998, and I decided to try Affinity. First I couldn't figure out anything and bought a book. But it was the wrong choice. It skipped the (for me) important parts. These tutorials are really helpful. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm loving the videos.

In Sky Replacement, you replace more than the sky with some of the techniques. Despite pointing out the "clouds in the sea" later in the video and cloning them out, the original technique completely obliterates the sea. I was hoping to see how to handle the demarcation between sea and sky when they are both very similar blues.

> Non-Destructive Dodge & Burn

Is there a way to make non-desctuctive dodge but for highlights? As I understand, the tutorial's ways is applied to whole lights. I guess I may use Blend Options some way, but can figure out how to use them.

You can use a 50% grey layer and use blend options/ blend if to restrict it´s effect to the highlights.

here is how to deal with blend ranges in AP

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/17364-blend-if-blend-ranges/?p=79182

hope that helps 

Thank you, your post was helpful. Your idea to experiment with gradient layer to figure out how blend options are work is great!

For someone who still wonder how to implement non-desctuctive dodge for highlights. As said before use 50% grey layer with overlay blend mode. To apply it only to highlights open Blend Options and in right frame "Underlaying Composition Ranges" pull left point down to the bottom. Then use dodge tool with "highlights" tonal range on this new layer. Looks like with this method it work a bit softer, so to make same effect I used dodge tool twice on same place (or reduce opacity twice).

I think you better use midrange dodge tool because 50% grey is mid range and you want to effect the grey layer.

The restriction to the highlights is done by the blend range anyway. 

So you could just as well paint with a black white brush (hardness 0%, round about 5% opacity (or flow)). That´s how I use to do it.

• Staff

Hey all,

MBd already found one of them, but here are three new videos for you:

Enjoy!

• Staff

... and hot off the heels of those videos come two more:

Additionally, I've updated the Cutting out video, making it easier to follow and going into more detail with the procedures:

Thanks,

James

I´d like to add to the Clipping VS Masking tutorial that you can use a opaque to transparent gradient on a vector shape that masks something and thus have a non destructive, adjustable gradient mask which can be extremely handy! 

thx to JimmyJack for pointing me to this option! I still find it absolutely amazing! 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18001-ap-editing-a-gradient-mask-layer/?p=82960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Ztfe5wmHQ&feature=youtu.be

Great to see 2k resolution on your vimeo videos, I don´t think we have had this for a long time before?

"Firmly cement it into the background" you´re pretty much my favorite British english "vocalizer"  :D If I´m not learning something new for AP (where I´m just always looking for tiny pieces), I at least always learn new expressions  :D

• Staff

Great to see 2k resolution on your vimeo videos, I don´t think we have had this for a long time before?

"Firmly cement it into the background" you´re pretty much my favorite British english "vocalizer"  :D If I´m not learning something new for AP (where I´m just always looking for tiny pieces), I at least always learn new expressions  :D

I did three or four 4K videos but have settled on 2K, as encoding 4K and doing complex operations on Photo was a little too taxing for the Macbook we record on.

There are some odd phrases dotted about in the videos, I hope non-English speakers aren't too puzzled!

Thank you for the feedback, look out for more videos in the near future..

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the videos for they do allow us to see how some tools work. Others I have viewed and can see no difference which I have to put down the fact my eyesight and colour sensitivity is not as acute as tutors doing the presentation. 
I want to learn the basics beyond that first video. 

For us who are LEARNERS we need an Idiots guide to Affinity. That simplistic because not everyone has used photoshop or paintshop or Corel editing software. 

I got Affinity for I watched the videos and thought it looked easy to do but then when I went to try myself NOTHING. 

I have now gone back numerous times to the videos to familiarise myself with terminology/language and yesterday sat and watched beginner video and paused at each step to try it out and succeeded in each of the tasks shown. 
Finally I can use Affinity but there is so much more I want to know and learn but at present many videos are not loading. 

Telstra here is on and off the air but it is also Affinity site for I have checked other sites and they do load. 

So perhaps someone might like to write an Idiot's guide to Affinity that can be print/digital format. 

That is what folk at very basic level want. 

That alongside the videos would be ideal. 

I will continue to dabble and learn as best I can. 
If I found an Idiots guide to photoshop would that teach me affinity basics too? 
I mean tutor on videos does mention that layout and many tools are the same so I figure the basics may same for both programs. 

• Staff

Hi Trial&Error,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you don't have previous experience with other photo editing programs i wouldn't use a basic guide from other software to try to lean Affinity since the terminology and tools/features work in a different way and you will probably end more confused. Soon there will be a new set of video tutorials geared towards beginners, that will cover the basics of the program.

We are also preparing a handbook although it may still take a little until it's ready. I also advise you to take a look at the help file. It covers all features of the program in detail, with step by step instructions for a few features/tools.

There's also a few third party training courses that may help you get started. I've listed them here,

If you have specific any questions/issues about a tutorial or step just ask away. Just mention the tutorial name and the timestamp so we can quickly locate locate that part of the video.

Hello.

I really would love if you could add some tutorials on black and white retouching to your existing list.

I regularly have to retouch scanned images from my very old 35mm and 120 black and white negatives.  Apart from dust and some scratches, I’ve noticed some strange deterioration of the emulsion on some negatives.  I also get old black and white family photos that have been bent and damaged over the years. Some tutorial advice on both would be really appreciated.

Thank you very much for a great app and your commitment to support your users with a wide range of concise tutorials.

• Staff

Hi pipkato, do stay tuned as I have a photo restoration video planned for the not too distant future.

For now, however, here are two new tutorials:

Scaling and Transforming - a basics video looking at how to scale and transform layers.

Modifiers - a guide on using modifier keys with different tools.

Thanks,

James