You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

Hello James, and thank you very much for that really useful tutorial on Printing on a Mac and for all your wonderful tutorials.  If only all other companies took the approach of Serif.

I have a further query I hope you can help with.  I regularly have to print a photo with borders that must fit an existing matt.  I use an Epson P800 printer.  I would like to know how to print to an EXACT print size, so that I can be absolutely sure the edges will be very slightly overlapped by the matt.  I've had lots of problems with this in the past using various Mac photo software.

I hope you can help.

BTW what's the story on Serif's DTP program?  I was a great fan of PagePlus and I'm looking forward to its successor.

Best regards!

BTW what's the story on Serif's DTP program?  I was a great fan of PagePlus and I'm looking forward to its successor.

This really belongs in a separate thread, but there's currently some lively discussion about the fact that the release date for Affinity Publisher has been pushed back yet again. When it does eventually arrive it will be fairly basic, and it will be years rather than months before its capabilities are close to those of PagePlus X9 or even X8. It will only be a "successor" in the sense that it comes from the same software house as PagePlus: it won't be able to open PP documents.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi James,

thanks for the new videos. I have a question concerning printing (on windows):

I understand how to do the soft proofing with two levels, but is there a way to have two images and arrange them side by side (like in PS) to compare origianl/soft proofed?

I could not find a way to do it...

Thanks, Max

Thanks for the Nature Portrait tutorial... it's just what I was looking for... And What I paid Affinity Photo for!

currently downloading the whole tutorials thing.

I used photoshop for years and the support is just all time low...and here there is ressources... vidéo instructions are a bit fast but my English is quite good despite the fact that I'm French ;)

thanks for the tutorials :wub:

Hi James,

thanks for the new videos. I have a question concerning printing (on windows):

I understand how to do the soft proofing with two levels, but is there a way to have two images and arrange them side by side (like in PS) to compare origianl/soft proofed?

I could not find a way to do it...

Thanks, Max

Just a quick idea: merge visible, copy that layer and go to "File" -> "New from clipboard"

Now add the soft proof layer there and once done drag the tab out of the Affinity Photo window. That way you can compare them, not with a slider but maybe better than nothing.

On another note: Great videos James. Always interesting to watch. I just wonder how to get so creative to do stuff like the equations with lerp and such and having the result still look good. Perhaps some deeper color knowledge is of use in such cases.

• Staff

I have a further query I hope you can help with.  I regularly have to print a photo with borders that must fit an existing matt.  I use an Epson P800 printer.  I would like to know how to print to an EXACT print size, so that I can be absolutely sure the edges will be very slightly overlapped by the matt.  I've had lots of problems with this in the past using various Mac photo software.

Hey pipkato, my knowledge of printing and layout is somewhat limited in this sense. Are you referring to borderless printing or bleed? Photo has margins which you can turn on either from a new document or by going to Document > Margins. There's an option to retrieve margin values from the currently selected printer. Are you able to explain in more detail what you're hoping to do?

Thanks,

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

Here are another 5 videos!

So, I'm dipping my toe in the water somewhat regarding plugin videos. I chose the Nik plugins as they're popular (and more importantly, free  ;)) but I'm planning to investigate plugins that might require some more manual effort to get working in the future.

The borders video I believe is long overdue for some; it focuses on extending the canvas rather than cropping into the image with a clipping mask. The two OpenEXR videos are for you 3D render guys out there!

Hope you find them useful,

James

I would love to see a video about 'removal of grain from scanned negatives and photos'...

You should be able to remove grain fairly effectively with a bilateral blur ('Filters > Blur > Bilateral Blur...') or the denoise filter ('Filters > Noise > Denoise...'). What else would you want a video to show us?

Alfred spacer.png

Hello James, 

About my 'printing to an exact size query', I may have confused you with my borders reference.  I was just trying to say that it was not a 'bleed' or 'borderless' print.  I haven't done much printing recently but I have had awful problems trying to print an image to an exact size.  For example, if I have a 10x8 mat and I want to print just slightly bigger so that the image will be just about covered by the mat opening, but no more.  I've had real problems doing that in the past with other photo editors which didn't always print the exact size I set.  I just wondered if AP can reliably print an exact image size - for example in this case 10.1"x8.1". 

Thanks again, and thanks too for the new stuff on borders and Nik plug-ins.

Here are another 5 videos!

So, I'm dipping my toe in the water somewhat regarding plugin videos. I chose the Nik plugins as they're popular (and more importantly, free  ;)) but I'm planning to investigate plugins that might require some more manual effort to get working in the future.

The borders video I believe is long overdue for some; it focuses on extending the canvas rather than cropping into the image with a clipping mask. The two OpenEXR videos are for you 3D render guys out there!

Hope you find them useful,

James

Another cool series, James.

I can't help, but just envy how fast the 32 bit editing performs on your machine (unless you paused between the most critical steps).

Even just opening a 600MB file on my box would take a lot. But even worst, switching to Tone Mapping in my case is a good excuse for a coffee!

And I'm talking about a 32gb ram machine, with Quadro, Dual Xeon and SSD.

Edit: that launch time on the Dfine video was sped-up, right? Tell me it was...

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• Staff

Here we go, another 8 videos for you! Apologies, I'll try and get round to replying to some of the queries in this thread as well.

There's a bit of a mix this time - a plugin installation video for Windows, channels work, brush importing and laying images out on a new document:

Hope you find them useful!

Hi James, have watched the videos. Very good for me as a help to work with masks and layers. Thank you.
Two questions:
- Where can one find the soft- and nightlight brushes? I can't find.
- Can I download the video to view it offline?
Many thanks for the help
Dieter

Germany, Affinity Photo WIN 1.7 , LR6, WIN10

Hi, 

I have been watching the in house tutorials at Vimeo 

and for the last two days , the audio is out of sync , running faster than the video.

Can you check on this for me?

Thanks

Hi, 

I have been watching the in house tutorials at Vimeo 

and for the last two days , the audio is out of sync , running faster than the video.

Can you check on this for me?

Thanks

I played around with viewing the Vimeo videos and decided that the fault of video/audio out of sync was a product of the Roku player! The Vimeo videos run smoothly through other players!

Where is there an equivalent nice list of these great videos linked to YouTube instead of Vimeo? For me, necessarily on a Satellite connection, Vimeo often freezes, crashes, refuses to render in a legible resolution and so on, it just isn't usable at many times when YT comes in loud and clear. I love the concept of many, many short very specific videos, but it requires a linked index like the one here. Thanks!

• Staff

Hi cyclicopath,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there isn't a similar list of links for YouTube. We have been using Vimeo since the beginning and only recently started to add them to YouTube.

However you can set their correct order through YouTube - by Date created (oldest):

Affinity Photo

Affinity Designer

Besides Vimeo - there are literally tons of very instructive videos covering Affinity Designer as well as Affinity Photo in different qualities to be found on Youtube

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Where is there an equivalent nice list of these great videos linked to YouTube instead of Vimeo? For me, necessarily on a Satellite connection, Vimeo often freezes, crashes, refuses to render in a legible resolution and so on, it just isn't usable at many times when YT comes in loud and clear. I love the concept of many, many short very specific videos, but it requires a linked index like the one here. Thanks!

As noted in the OP to this thread:

The video tutorials are available on Vimeo and YouTube via these links:

Vimeo - http://affin.co/PhotoVids

YouTube - http://affin.co/photoyt

The 'Videos' and 'Playlist' links on the YT channel pages should tell you all you need to know. :)

Alfred spacer.png

Hi cyclicopath,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there isn't a similar list of links for YouTube. We have been using Vimeo since the beginning and only recently started to add them to YouTube.

However you can set their correct order through YouTube - by Date created (oldest):

Affinity Photo

Affinity Designer

Thanks for the response. I'll look forward then to an eventual complete somehow-indexed set of the tutorials on YT, which is generally a faster, more reliable venue for me, with the mid-range speeds provided via Viasat. I'll hope in the meantime to not get so frustrated as to have to walk away. (The obvious excellence of the program and the great low price will help with that! :))    

These are so awesome! From a newbie, thank you!!! I'd love to see more tutorials on fantastic/magic effects for those making book covers. I have hardly scraped the surface of the tutorials, but with photoshop I'd just use someone's actions to turn a happy village into a scary/fantasy village or something. Things like that. But you're doing awesome! Keep it up!