You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

Hello again, just a heads up that we're now focusing on YouTube delivery as well as Vimeo - videos will be available on both platforms going forward. Here's a link to the YouTube channel: https://affin.co/photoyt

All videos to date are available so far, and we'll keep parity between the two from now.

Thanks!

Perfect! You guys are awesome. And the more I get familiar with Affinity Photo (windows) via the free and detailed tutorials - the more I'm impressed with just how capable it is!

The additional youtube features are awesome too! (tutorials organised in playlists etc, faster playback)

Well, being on YouTube as well as Vimeo should help expose the tutorials to a greater audience; many customers are unaware that the Affinity apps even have official tutorials! Vimeo is also blocked in certain countries as it tends to allow and promote risqué content from filmmakers.

Whichever platform you prefer, though, the videos will be available on both - so you'll still be able to download the videos and watch them offline.

Happy Birthday after all  :D  :)

https://twitter.com/Writer_Dale/status/824792910646218752

cheers

Rigger73

FYI you can download direct from YouTube with simple browser add ons...

P

With a Mac?

No thanks.  I'd rather keep my Mac clean without any 3rd party software.

I've used YT downloaders in the past, on Windows, and the anti-virus software was working overtime.

So thanks, but through experience - no thanks.

With a Mac?

No thanks.  I'd rather keep my Mac clean without any 3rd party software.

I've used YT downloaders in the past, on Windows, and the anti-virus software was working overtime.

So thanks, but through experience - no thanks.

An extension is not exactly like a third-party software.

On Firefox there are extensions to easily download videos from youtube, never had an issue in years.

Of course, the same type of extensions will not work with a combo Chrome/Youtube, but they might still work with other services such as Vimeo.

Third party software can be nasty, especially in this area (video downloaders, video converters, audio converters, etc.)

Most likely they can be AdWare, Bundleware, and so on.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• Staff

Happy Birthday after all  :D  :)

https://twitter.com/Writer_Dale/status/824792910646218752

cheers

Thank you!

Just a small update today, the Focus Merging Bracketed Exposures video has been revised, and there's a new video that covers highlight recovery with RAW imagery called Raw: Recovering Overexposed Images - if you know about the tone curve option and using the highlights/exposure sliders, you'll be familiar with everything covered in the video. It's intended more for newcomers to Photo.

Thanks!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi, I have a request for a tip to fix bags under the eyes in a photo. It's a fairly typical problem, dark areas under someone's eyes from fatigue, and i'm finding it surprisingly difficult to fix! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Jan-Peter

I am a new Affinity user and have watched most of the tutorials, which are great. Thank you. But I am working on some portrait pictures and I also need help lighting up some areas around the eyes. I would also like to request some help with this. I tried gradients and selective color but can't quite get what I am looking for. Any help on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you!

Just a small update today, the Focus Merging Bracketed Exposures video has been revised, and there's a new video that covers highlight recovery with RAW imagery called Raw: Recovering Overexposed Images - if you know about the tone curve option and using the highlights/exposure sliders, you'll be familiar with everything covered in the video. It's intended more for newcomers to Photo.

Thanks!

I always enjoy Affinity's tutorials for their brevity and how well executed they are.

For the recovering overexposed images though, I don't think the result is good and is not a user's fault.

At the moment, the highlights recovery in Photo (as well as the shadows recovery) are not helpful: both flatten the image and often produce a dull, odd looking image (especially in the chroma values).

Also, the 2nd technique suggested, which I tried several times, can't help either: bringing down the exposure and bumping up the brightness affects the whole image, whereas a proper highlights recovery tool would affect the highlights only.

The third option, with the flat curve, is probably the only viable solution at the moment, although that means going through the process of working off a custom profile which is more time consuming and less user-friendly for the generic user.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• Staff

Hey all,

Quite a chunky update this time, an old video has been re-recorded and renamed slightly:

And a few new videos for you:

Thanks,

James

And a few new videos for you:

Maybe a bit premature with that one, Quick Draw McGraw...

Video: "When I click on the Background layer I get a prompt"

Affinity Photo for Windows: Oi! Nooo! "Cannot record Set Current Selection"

Video: "And this time I will single click it and name it BW"

Affinity Photo for Windows: Oi! Nooo! "Cannot record Set Description"

Very well done and useful videos.

But too bad Macro Recording Behaviour is not the same in the Widows version. The "Cannot record Set Current Selection" prompt is a little frustrating for Windows users.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

The quality of the videos provided is as usually extremely well executed and prepared with dedication & love

Chapeau!

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Chapeau!

pithy and helpful!

Why does that make me think of helmets? :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Why does that make me think of helmets? :P

Because you don't understand the inherent eloquent meaning in French language.

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Because you don't understand the inherent eloquent meaning in French language.

No, I understood all right! It was simply that the juxtaposition of the word "pithy" and the reference to headwear ("chapeau") made me think of pith helmets, and I felt compelled to comment accordingly. That's why I included a  :P in my post.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hot on the heels of the previous update...

I've done two videos that focus on printing your own images with more accurate results - one for Mac, one for Windows (since the print dialog and configuration is quite different between the two). They cover profiling your monitor, soft proofing the document, two ways of preparing for printing, and how to configure the print dialog to use software colour management. Hopefully they'll prove helpful to people who are doing home printing!

In addition to those, I've recorded two new Photo Windows videos that focus on "projects", and so are more of a walkthrough focusing on several techniques:

Hope they're helpful!

Hot on the heels of the previous update...

Hope they're helpful!

Very helpful, I always learn something useful. It's better than any written material. Thanks again.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

James,

I too find your 'project' videos very useful gaining insight and ideas for workflow. Between those and the massive number of other AP tutorials for specific actions I'm becoming much more confident and knowledgeable about photo editing than I ever did after years of Photoshop. My hope is that you'll do lots more.

Thank you for the excellent tutorials and all the work you've done to make this powerful app so much more accessible.

Ed