You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

Please Affinity, do not upload to youtube.  The last thing I need in my life is another 'google tracking' website as I try very hard to avoid these mega information mining sites.  

To Affinity, if you do choose to go with youtube, please give users time to download the videos so we don't have to deal with the issues involved with google.  

To psangha1, if you want to playback at your own pace, do as others have done and download them.  You then have complete control over all of the videos and can do as you wish.  

I hear your concerns about privacy, however

- uploading a copy to youtube doesn't impact the tutorial playback on vimeo, you can continue as you were

- gives the end user another option with faster playback to save valuable time

- user can access from any device at a lower bandwidth cost, anywhere (mobile, tablet, laptop, PC)

- each individual user downloading his own copy from vimeo results in duplication of the same action

- not to mention its extremely cumbersome to download all the individual tutorials and arrange them in correct order for playback (they are not numbered sequentially when you download so do not auto arrange easily)

- affinity could make these available in a single download if they still want to avoid youtube (not holding my breath for this one however)

I think overall, making tutorials (as well as the F1 help file within the Affinity photo itself - online, pdf) more readily available may increase adoption rates for the software - given how well featured and cost effective it is.

I prefer Vimeo and in this regard I have downloaded all 170 tutorials together with the text description of each tutorial. I have also created my own table of tutorials showing the name of the tutorial, the description as shown by James, the last update of the tutorial, the series number and category as per this website. When James made some changes to the categories and in some instances renumbered a few tutorials I made the necessary adjustments to my list. Why did I go to all the trouble to create a table of the tutorials? Simply put I needed some way of locating similar tutorials as an example on Filters - these are spread over Category Filters, Design Aids, Correction and Getting Creative.  Similarly if I wanted to find what tutorials are available for Layer, these are spread over Basics, Design Aids, Selection and Masking, Correction and Beginners.

I maintain my table (excluding Windows Tutorials) as each notification from James is posted.

I am looking forward to when a "Affinity Photo - Book" is published.

Warren (Stickman)

Hi!

I'm very glad having the possibility to watch the tutorials and with a very good voice to listen too!!

As I will be offline in the snowy mountains without internet I began to download the vimeo tutorials.

But this possibility stopped at 8. RAW Developement.

Does that have a reason or could you please open up for downloads all the following tutorials?!!

Thanks a lot!
D.

Nice one stickman, but in my opinion that's extra work that can be done once and doesn't have to be repeated at each user's end.

Its inefficient as duplication of the same effort to manually download and organise occurs at each end-users point and this results in large scale in-efficiency in the form of cumulative man hours wasted. Hence the request for a single, pre-organised downloadable link. (for example DaVinci Resolve 3rd party tutorials I'm going through have this option, in addition to online playback at various speeds). 

No big deal otherwise, will need to spend extra bit of time and mark it off as overhead.

Affinity Photo Team

Many thanks for the free pack of macros for Affinity Photo 1.5. Extremely useful and another great reason why I keep talking about the advantages of the product at my camera club meetings.

Stickman

(Canberra, Australia) 

p_mac

Is it necessary to erect just for me vs the rest of the community (esp. to a newbie)? If you were offended by me pointing out that Youtube/One-Direct-Download-File doesn't stop Vimeo from working or other reasonable points, it wasn't the intention.

With respect to giving it a rest, my post ending "No big deal otherwise" had already gracefully closed it out.

Hi!

I'm very glad having the possibility to watch the tutorials and with a very good voice to listen too!!

As I will be offline in the snowy mountains without internet I began to download the vimeo tutorials.

But this possibility stopped at 8. RAW Developement.

Does that have a reason or could you please open up for downloads all the following tutorials?!!

Thanks a lot!

D.

Hey D just a heads up - manually downloading tutorials from Vimeo for me just stopped at section section 6.16 as well. I suspected it was artificially limited by Vimeo per session/day/user for bandwidth reasons   :huh: so i tried downloading again via my VPN service and the downloads continued ;) .

So should continue working for you the next time you try  :D  - I suspect it would reset daily or after few hours?

• Staff

Good day all! Got three new videos for you - two are creative and look at long exposure photography, and one looks at using Photo's undo history:

Hope you find them useful!

Cheers,

James

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• Staff

Hello again, just a heads up that we're now focusing on YouTube delivery as well as Vimeo - videos will be available on both platforms going forward. Here's a link to the YouTube channel: https://affin.co/photoyt

All videos to date are available so far, and we'll keep parity between the two from now.

Thanks!

Good day all! Got three new videos for you - two are creative and look at long exposure photography, and one looks at using Photo's undo history:

Hope you find them useful!

Cheers,

James

The Undo History!

Terrific! 

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

• Staff

Oh, I completely forgot to mention in the recent new video post, but the Brushes video has also been re-recorded; I've always cringed at the original video with just the raw brush strokes on a white background, so I knuckled down and made it a bit more contextual for image editing:

FYI, the Vimeo page still says Affinity is for Mac, not Mac + PC. Also, why a separate Vimeo page for beginner tutorials. Here on forum is this sticky plus one that talks about beginner videos. They go to two different places. The link from here is the best with over 175 videos. Also, there appears to be some redundancy between first beginner video and other Vimeo page video that says Start here.  Either way, excellent tutorials. I have 2 monitors so I play the tuturial on one and have AP running in another so that I can follow along easier.

Hello again, just a heads up that we're now focusing on YouTube delivery as well as Vimeo - videos will be available on both platforms going forward. Here's a link to the YouTube channel: https://affin.co/photoyt

All videos to date are available so far, and we'll keep parity between the two from now.

Thanks!

Thanks James,

but i'll be sticking with the vimeo links.  Working away on vessels means downloading while onboard is not an option.

Far easier for me to download before I leave - and then I can watch how I want, when I want - with no wifi connection needed.

You don't even need a browser add-on. There are sites such as SaveFrom.net where you simply provide the URL of the page that you visited to view the video online, and in return you get one or more download links allowing you to save the video in a readily accessible format such as MP4.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Well, being on YouTube as well as Vimeo should help expose the tutorials to a greater audience; many customers are unaware that the Affinity apps even have official tutorials! Vimeo is also blocked in certain countries as it tends to allow and promote risqué content from filmmakers.

Whichever platform you prefer, though, the videos will be available on both - so you'll still be able to download the videos and watch them offline.

I also wanted to tell you how excited i am not only about your fantastic two apps, but also the quality of the video-tutorials! They are simply perfect! It's hard to believe, that there finally is a company out there who cares about and listen to customers again! After using software from Adobe since 1993 you deliver what they never did (and even Macromedia did not). Simple videos, where even everybody can still learn a lot - well, and we can always learn something. Has anyone seen those crappy so called tutorials of Adobe? The videos from Serif made me watch one after the other! Please dear Affinity-team: keep up the fantastic work be it software or tutorials or whatever. Thank you for your hard work! Finally time to say goodbye to Adobe …  :)