You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

• Staff

Hi mtfrog,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, apart from couple features related with the operative system itself (like keyboard shortcuts), all features and functionality are similar on both platforms, so you can use them as a reference for Windows too.

Regarding the shortcuts, here's how they relate:

- Mac Command key = Windows Ctrl key

- Mac Shift key = Windows Shift key

- Mac Alt key = Windows Alt key

- Mac Ctrl key = Windows Right Mouse button

Agree with Jmac, online stuff is awarkward to use, but understand that printed material can go out of date in a still developing project.

Hope the programmes will generate a magazine like the old photoshop one in due course.

Supprised to find photo has been released - I felt it still had some de-bugging to go -hope it does not get the programme an indiferent reception from the wider audience because of some still to iron out glitching. But Affinity does not have much opposition to speak of so  Good luck :)

• Staff

Hi Vinther, the sources panel not appearing was a last minute issue on Windows that didn't get spotted (it only started happening on a release candidate build). Apologies for that, it should be fixed soon.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

James it would be awesome maybe for v2 of the Affinity Suite, to enhance the Tutorials section of the Welcome screen with a dedicated file browser type of area, displaying large thumbnails and short descriptions of all the tutorial videos pulled on demand from your most current online archive, and perhaps even a dedicated Studio Panel for playback... There's definitely more pressing things to get done, but as far as having a tool to help on-board new users it would be great. Keep up the amazing work you guys keep hitting it out of the park with each +0.1 release... Thanks for all you do!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Is tutorial set 15 hiding somewhere? Thanks, Max

Hey Max, no, I just can't count  :)

It did remind of an idea to split 32-bit/OpenEXR videos into their own category though, so I've gone ahead and filled that gap..

• Staff

Just dropping a quick message to say that I've redone a couple of videos:

Raw: Noise Reduction needed updating to account for 1.5's automatic noise reduction, and the image used for the Graduated ND video was just a bit poor really, so I ended up using a nice Derbyshire landscape shot.. it now also references using a fill (vector) layer rather than a pixel layer, allowing you to go back and edit the gradient at any time.

Cheers,

James

I am finding that a number of the videos, after a short while into the tutorial, the voice commentary is way ahead of that being demonstrated on screen.  I timed the last one that I watched and it took nearly another 2 minutes for the video to complete after the voice commentary had stopped.  I was completely lost.  I am using AP 1.5 on purchased copy on Win 7 64 bit PC.

A number of videos are ok but I have not listed which.

Regards

John

I am finding that a number of the videos, after a short while into the tutorial, the voice commentary is way ahead of that being demonstrated on screen.  I timed the last one that I watched and it took nearly another 2 minutes for the video to complete after the voice commentary had stopped.  I was completely lost.  I am using AP 1.5 on purchased copy on Win 7 64 bit PC.

A number of videos are ok but I have not listed which.

Regards

John

I have watched the entire collection of videos, and I didn't have any difficulties.

Can you try another browser perhaps?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I have watched the entire collection of videos, and I didn't have any difficulties.

Can you try another browser perhaps?

I haven't watched the entire collection, but I've watched quite a few of them and I haven't noticed any problems. Perhaps John would have a better viewing experience if he were to download the videos and play them back locally using his preferred video player.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Dear Affinity Photo Team

Firstly, thank you for providing an alternative to Adobe Photoshop..enough said!

I agree somewhat with jmac that more written documentation would be helpful as well as video tutorials. I learn best with both available to me and since I am new to Affinity Photo and being a long time user of Adobe Photoshop CS6, I am starting over again learning a new method of doing the same thing...editing photos. I have experienced difficulty with HELP since CS6 and Affinity Photo have different terminology for doing the same procedure.

Searching Google does not always find the information and/or instruction for what it is you want to do. I started using the Forum, but that too doesn't always help since many times no one answers your query or it may take days till someone does. I don't want to seem like I am complaining, I love Affinity Photo and in time I will get to know it enough to do what it is I need it to do for me and I hope you will continue to make it available as a user owned software and not a subscription or I will have to find yet another software program to use and at 74 years of age, is not a good thing.

Again, thank you for your software and look forward to using it more once familiar with it.

Cheers!

Allan

Dear Affinity Photo Team

Firstly, thank you for providing an alternative to Adobe Photoshop..enough said!

I agree somewhat with jmac that more written documentation would be helpful as well as video tutorials. I learn best with both available to me and since I am new to Affinity Photo and being a long time user of Adobe Photoshop CS6, I am starting over again learning a new method of doing the same thing...editing photos. I have experienced difficulty with HELP since CS6 and Affinity Photo have different terminology for doing the same procedure.

Searching Google does not always find the information and/or instruction for what it is you want to do. I started using the Forum, but that too doesn't always help since many times no one answers your query or it may take days till someone does. I don't want to seem like I am complaining, I love Affinity Photo and in time I will get to know it enough to do what it is I need it to do for me and I hope you will continue to make it available as a user owned software and not a subscription or I will have to find yet another software program to use and at 74 years of age, is not a good thing.

Again, thank you for your software and look forward to using it more once familiar with it.

Cheers!

Allan

Hi, Allan.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't get the help you need.

Usually someone is quite quick to offer help.

If you don't, maybe it will help to bump your post. 

There's a big amount of posts each day, more and more now that the community is growing from day to day.

EDIT

I looked at your posts, and I see that you have got response for all of them, but one.

If you put your question in your own thread, the question is more likely to get response.

Just a friendly advise. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hello team,

I first want to say that I'm new to Affinity Photo and have been a long time PhotoShop user.  I consider my skill set advanced in PhotoShop and it took many years to get skill set.  After watching a friend use Affinity Photo I had to have the product, I find it to be so intuitive and user friendly.  Also, there are several features in Photo that I can do in PS but would have to perform several steps to get there.   I decided to recreate a recent photo shoot that I edited in PS with Photo to see if I can get the same results and how long it would take.   I happy to say that with just a week under my belt with Photo I was able to create the same results and in about 25% less time.  That's huge to me.

Now if you could create a product similar to Bridge or Lightroom's photo catalog I would have no reason not to switch completely.  

Thanks

-Mike

PS.  The videos are great but I agree with others about written documentation.   I would love to have the doc open while performing a task.

Hey, thanks for the videos,

I posted this somewhere else on the forum but Is there a simple video that explains the different tools in affinity video?

All the tutorials I see explain an objective or something someone wishes to accomplish but I just want to understand what each tool is for and how you could use them.

does that exist? even a blog post would be helpful, I know it exists for designer: http://shay-smith.com/content/affinity-designer-pixel-persona-tools   but is there one for photo?

Hey, thanks for the videos,

I posted this somewhere else on the forum but Is there a simple video that explains the different tools in affinity video?

All the tutorials I see explain an objective or something someone wishes to accomplish but I just want to understand what each tool is for and how you could use them.

does that exist? even a blog post would be helpful, I know it exists for designer: http://shay-smith.com/content/affinity-designer-pixel-persona-tools   but is there one for photo?

That would be a very useful video. I'm not sure there's one that's dedicated just to the tools.. however, if you type in the name of the tool in the help menu, you will find very useful tips there.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

HELP! Just a simple question: I can not get my windows back in one screen. 'Merging windows' does nothing. Now

I can not see my layers and as a beginner I do not want all the separate 'studio' items all over the screen....

Please, can anyone tell me how to correct this?

In the Menu bar, select View>Studio then scroll all the way to the bottom and select Reset Studio.  That will put everything back the way it was before you changed anything. If that doesn't fix it, let us know.