You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

• Staff

Thank you again for the excellent videos James.  

Your videos have explained them so well but I have a question about channels for you.  

Is there a way that you can use more then one colour channel.  For example, can you create a grayscale map for the blue channel and then apply or combine it with the information in the red channel?   

I have been studying some videos about LAB colour where effects are made using more then one channel.  Is this possible possible in Affinity Photo?

Hey p_mac, I don't have Photo in front of me over the weekend so I'll have a look when I'm back in on Monday. What you're asking seems like it should be achievable though. Will keep you updated!

So for those of us who are inverterbrate avoidant, is there a version of this video? :) (not being facetious)

The way the video is structured, you would be able to watch the first half without any problems (the image used is just a landscape photo I took). There's then a significant warning before I switch over to the image with the spider in it - enough time to stop the video before you see the spider (or kill it with fire  :)). Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

giving up on photoshop cc and ew to affinity and I do have 2 question,

1- amI missing something or why can't I figure out how to add multipple images on a blank sheet so I can save let say 4 images on a 8x10, I've seen the question on page 8 but had not been answered.

2- why when I save as tiff format, the image is seen as black, I have a preview of every other images in my folder but saved from affinity it remains black, I can only see the picture if opened with affinitiy.

Thank

• Staff

giving up on photoshop cc and ew to affinity and I do have 2 question,

1- amI missing something or why can't I figure out how to add multipple images on a blank sheet so I can save let say 4 images on a 8x10, I've seen the question on page 8 but had not been answered.

2- why when I save as tiff format, the image is seen as black, I have a preview of every other images in my folder but saved from affinity it remains black, I can only see the picture if opened with affinitiy.

Thank

Hi Mike, in answer to your questions:

If you want to place multiple images onto a document, you can use File>Place and navigate to your images to insert them as "embedded documents". This means you can also double click them on the Layers panel to edit them, and the changes will update on the document you've placed them in.

Another approach to take is where you open the images separately - just click-drag them onto the Photo icon on the OSX dock. Select the image in Photo, use Cmd+A to select all, Cmd+C to copy, then move over to your blank document. Use Cmd+V to paste the image on. You can then click-drag it around, scale/transform/rotate it, etc.

[Edit] Actually, looking through the tutorials, your query has made me realise there's a lack of tutorials that really cover placing images into documents. I'll try and do a video that covers this in the coming week!

Regarding the black .tiff issue, there's an ongoing look at what might be causing that. Are you exporting to an 8-bit or 16-bit tiff? (It should say on the File>Export dialog). Could you try exporting to 8-bit and see if you have the same issue?

Thanks James for the multiple images set up, maybe i need another glass of scotch or was too tired to think of that :/

For the black .tiff images, i save them 16 bit, I'll try later when I'll be back home to save in 8 bit. I tried different way to save the .tiff images nut only saving from Affinity end up black, not from Lr or On1 or Photomatix pro. Linear or bilinear would make a difference?

• Staff

Hi Mike, no, resampling algorithm shouldn't make a difference, the black tiff issue only seemed to happen after the latest OSX update, but as you say, it's mainly tiffs exported from Photo that are affected. We'll have to look into it in more detail.

Thanks for your comments though, especially since I've realised there's scope for a tutorial on placing images!

James,

I'm most of the way through the tutorials, and have started some creative work on my pics.  Nothing like you can do, but a start at least.

Can I request one tutorial video please?

During the Affinity photo advert, it's shown that the static prop blades of a Lancaster bomber can be made to look like they are moving - prop blur is you will.

I'm trying to re-create this with a P-51 Mustang, and I'm failing miserably.  I've tried all the blur options I can find, but nothing's working.

I've only about 4 vids in Section 8 tutorials left to watch, as well as vids put up in sects 9 and 10, and I'm reasonably up to date with the rest - all downloaded before I went offshore on 9th August.

• Staff

During the Affinity photo advert, it's shown that the static prop blades of a Lancaster bomber can be made to look like they are moving - prop blur is you will.

I'm trying to re-create this with a P-51 Mustang, and I'm failing miserably.  I've tried all the blur options I can find, but nothing's working.

I've only about 4 vids in Section 8 tutorials left to watch, as well as vids put up in sects 9 and 10, and I'm reasonably up to date with the rest - all downloaded before I went offshore on 9th August.

Hey, I'll take a look at this next week when I'm in the office. I have a couple of ideas about how this can be done but will need to have a bit of a play to be sure. Have you managed to download all the videos now without any further issues from Vimeo?

Regards,

James

Hey, I'll take a look at this next week when I'm in the office. I have a couple of ideas about how this can be done but will need to have a bit of a play to be sure. Have you managed to download all the videos now without any further issues from Vimeo?

Regards,

James

James,

as always - speedy replies - thank you.

Yes - I've managed to DL all the videos from before 8th August - 120+.   32 in Section 8 alone!.  I went offshore the following day - and marine internet can be slower than dial up, so I won't get any of the new one's until I'm in sight of land, or within 4G reception anyways.

Looking forward to seeing what can be done though - thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite being a longtime user (since version 5.0) I have recently dropped Photoshop in favour of Affinity Photo. I love its visual and ultra nimble approach to editing images via adjustment layers. The outstanding in-house video tutorials expose many simple and smart ways to work. Affinity Photo is destined to be great  software and I look forward to version 1.5.

The ease with which one can stack images is just fantastic and the Inpainting brush is truly amazing. I have found the GUI easy on the eye and the interface is always informative. What a great effort from the team at Serif! I hope to soon be able to use the iPad version of Affinity Photo when away from my desk. 

Thank you.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi p_mac

Like you I was concerned that there had been no further tutorials since Aug 12. I was hoping that he may have been off writing an English version book on AP. We live in hope.Glad to know that our moderator James is ok and I look forward to his further great tutorials.

• Staff

Hello, still here, just busy between various tasks - tutorials are only a part of my job! All I can say is that there will be plenty of 1.5 tutorials - by my last count, there should be at least 20 for launch, probably more as features are still being added and refined (and I still have some unplanned ideas). A few older videos will be revisited as well to bring them in line with 1.5's functionality.

Photo 1.5 is going to be a beast when it hits! Don't worry, there will be plenty of tutorial content to help people get to grips with it.

Hi James, thanks for your message.

Photo 1.5 is a beast with each new update. I have noticed a huge difference in the ability to apply complex gradients, mask them with channels by creating channel compositions using several different colour combos. Was crashing like crazy before.

Wow.

I struggled with a pano with AP 1.4 and now I a see a difference where smaller parts of a photo are used for a specific area and the transform ability is very smooth allowing much better alignment.

But I need a tutorial in recording macros.

Thanks again for your great tutorials.

• Staff

Hello, I believe that's achieved with the Mesh Warp tool. There isn't a tutorial that covers using it for a subject like the vase, but do take a look at Panorama Distortion Correction - it will show you how to set "source" points, then manipulate them as "destination" points. You can apply the technique seen in the video to any subject.

Hope that helps in the short term!

[Edit] Also, Rigger, I haven't forgotten about the radial blade blurring, just been very busy and planning 1.5 tutorials. It's still on my list!

Hello, I believe that's achieved with the Mesh Warp tool. There isn't a tutorial that covers using it for a subject like the vase, but do take a look at Panorama Distortion Correction - it will show you how to set "source" points, then manipulate them as "destination" points. You can apply the technique seen in the video to any subject.

[Edit] Also, Rigger, I haven't forgotten about the radial blade blurring, just been very busy and planning 1.5 tutorials. It's still on my list!

Thank you James.

I'm just back from offshore.  I've also found out that my first entry into a photo comp has won 2nd place in the PDI foundation class, using Affinity Photo 1.4.2.

This was the one with the prop blur, although mine was quite time consuming - so I'd still be interested to see how you go about it.

Once I get confirmation that I can print it publically, I'll put it up on the site.

Thanks a lot James, I'll try it!

• Staff

Hello all,

Just a quick post to let you know that, in the midst of recording some early Photo 1.5 videos, I've started to re-record some older videos as well.

This time around, Liquify and Sky Replacement have been revisited and (hopefully!) improved. Look out for more videos soon...

Hi, James.
Thank you for the useful and brilliant tutorials, Looking forward to more. :)

There's something odd going on with the liquify video. If I want to look at it in full screen it goes black.
If I put the cursor on my dock, so it (the dock) pops up, I can se the video. This doesn't happen with any other video as far as I can see.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2