You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illegible Preferences

On all 3 desktop released apps I can change the options at will

On all 3 beta apps I cant

I suspect this "required feedback" is compulsory if you want to participate in the beta testing.

(Windows 8.1)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

That's always been my suspicion, too, Carl. They are forcing the upload of crash files for the beta versions, but we have a choice for the retail versions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

On all 3 desktop released apps I can change the options at will

FWIW, on Macs (at least those running High Sierra or earlier) those preference options do not exist in any of the 3 retail apps. Those options are set globally in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Analytics. But I don't know if those settings apply to the betas, which of course are available only directly from Affinity.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I fear I have to say I don’t like being forced to upload any stuff from my computer. Indeed I would like to have control over what I share. Not that I wouldn’t be against submitting crash reports (I would probably even tick the checkbox), but that’s a matter of principle. :(

On 11/2/2019 at 6:52 AM, carl123 said:

I suspect this "required feedback" is compulsory if you want to participate in the beta testing.

Honestly, I would believe participating in the beta process is first of all a benefit for Serif. Nothing is more valuable to a software company than an lively beta testing community, isn’t it? Hence, I don’t fully understand why there should be something forced upon the user “in exchange” for the option to participate in beta testing. Does that make sense? :/

• Staff

It is intentional that these options are disabled in beta builds, and we auto enable the sending of crash reports.

This will always be optional in release builds, but as part of the agreement to use the betas it is something we enable, it can be quite helpful to us.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 11/2/2019 at 4:19 PM, A_B_C said:

... I don’t fully understand why there should be something forced upon the user “in exchange” for the option to participate in beta testing...

For myself, the automatic submission is fine. I don't remember how large the dumps can get, but if they can get large and I had a slow internet connection, I would likely care more.

And besides. I use one particular software package (commercial release version) in order to support two clients where one has the option to not send usage and/or dump files: Unchecking the preference to not send those things disables the software. So with this wider perspective, Serif's decision is "kinder."

Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I am not against sharing crash dumps, but personally, I would prefer to have the option to decide myself. At the same time, one shouldn’t make this a bigger issue as it actually is. There are indeed companies that are much more curious about what users do on their machines. Not to speak of social media services and the like.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.