You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Page :: single in facing doc :: left/right confusion

On 10/30/2019 at 2:29 PM, AdamW said:

Improved master page handling when adding single pages in a facing page document
Adding single pages to a facing page document with facing masters no longer shuffles master pages from left to right or vice versa.

To me it appears like before v499: a single master in a facing page document seems to think itself as a left page only and confuses left and right.

Also the margin field labels still switch unexpected from "Left" to "Inner" and "Right" to "Outer" if the Spread Setup window gets re-opend.

Sorry, I had posted here before, with two screenshots:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/98522-shifting-pages/&do=findComment&comment=542255

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Hi @thomaso,

The labels being incorrect is a separate issue to what was changed and hasn't yet been addressed.

The change is how the app handles re ordering pages if a single page is deleted or added in a facing page document. If you open the attached file and delete Page 3 in 1.7.3 and then compare to 1.8 you should see the difference.

mp.afpub

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

23 hours ago, Jon P said:

hasn't yet been addressed.

The left-right issue was mentioned in the same thread I had linked above.

23 hours ago, Jon P said:

If you open the attached file and delete Page 3 in 1.7.3 and then compare to 1.8 you should see the difference.

Indeed, that works charming. I wonder whether it is meant to work only for master page content. In the attached file I have placed an additional text frame on page 1 and made it auto-flow with shift-click on the frame's overflow icon.

mp_txt.afpub

Now if I delete page 3 the new changes done in v499 still work fine for the master page object (your rectangles) but don't work for the custom content on document pages – even though they were kind of automatically placed by the app on the pages after 1. In my opinion the app is aware of the auto-placed text frames positions in the same way it is aware of the colored rectangle positions on the master page. So I do experience this still as a bug.

For this beta test it would be useful to know what is meant to work different in v499 – and what is still allowed & expected to work with the unwanted shift.

Btw: when working with this document the app crashed twice. At first after deleting page 3, at 2nd when saving the file. I add both protocols:

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-11-05-110439_mbp1.crash
Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-11-05-115053_mbp1.crash

• Staff

It is meant to only work with Master Pages, in your example if you put both frames on the master page and type into them to detach them the position of those frames should be updated if you delete Page 3

All the app will see is a text frame on a page, it won't know it was created from auto flow and I don't think it should then be changing the position of the content on the page itself.

For this beta test it would be useful to know what is meant to work different in v499 – and what is still allowed & expected to work with the unwanted shift.

It would be nice if we gave you more "specs", but in a way seeing how the features are interacted with without any further detail and the discussions that can arise can be useful to us also.

Btw: when working with this document the app crashed twice. At first after deleting page 3, at 2nd when saving the file. I add both protocols:

I'll play around with your document a bit more but have had no crash yet, if you find any of the crashes can be reproduced let me know the recipe, and if you can upload the crash reports here I can take a look and see if there's any useful info to help me reproduce it.

25 minutes ago, Jon P said:

if you put both frames on the master page and type into them to detach them the position of those frames should be updated if you delete Page 3

Ah, yes, Thanks! Indeed when I create a text frame on each master page and link them (*) then I still can place on page 1 a text and make it auto-flow + auto-generate pages AND then indeed a deletion of page 3 doesn't result in a object shift. And indeed it even works with detached object changes. – Very nice!

(*) I haven't been aware before about that workflow. Instead I had tried to place the text on page 1 with a click only and not drag-creating a frame; I thought the master page margin would be enough info for the app to auto-generate an according text frame there (as it does on auto-text flow). However, that way I got aware now about the master page feature.

34 minutes ago, Jon P said:

if you can upload the crash reports

I did upload two reports above, can't you download them?  (I had grayed out this part because of not being able yet to reproduce the crash myself. Just thought it might be interesting for the developers.)

• Staff

I did upload two reports above, can't you download them?

I can, am just blind and missed them! Nothing in them of use (that I can tell, a dev might have more luck), if you get the crash again and find any steps that might trigger it let me know :)

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

It would be nice if we gave you more "specs", but in a way seeing how the features are interacted with without any further detail and the discussions that can arise can be useful to us also.

That is a valid point, and I think it is fair for the beta phase, especially as we are on the first beta available to us. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.