You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo is in the Mac App Store Now!

Dale

Hi from Down Under (price is dearer here, by the way - the current special offer is $49.99 - presumably due to exchange rates).

I just bought Affinity Photo, but I have 2 problems immediately:

1. It opens with the Welcome screen thingy, offering me images to download and play with. But if I click on the image, as suggested, nothing happens apart from a tiny red cross in the cloud icon. Nothing downloads.

2. It didn't find ANY of my Photoshop plugins. So I had to find them in the Library/Application Support folder and add them. I did this for my Topaz Labs plugins to make sure it worked, but after restarting Affinity, they were in the Plugins menu, but wouldn't run. As soon as I tried to run any of the Topaz Photoshop plugins, I got the error message "Cannot Proceed - IPC Memory in use or Image size is too big for the system."

Now I have no idea what the heck that means, but I would have thought that given you have the panel in the Preferences to find Photoshop plugins, you would have made sure Photoshop plugins actually work with Affinity? And at least contacted the makers of the major plugins like Topaz Labs if there was a problem - which there seems to be?

Is this actually ready for prime time use yet? Is the plugin problem just me, or do others have the same problem? And how do I download those images from the welcome screen thingy?

System: iMac 27", with 32GB RAM, 3TB HD, Yosemite fully updated as of today, Photoshop already installed, Aperture installed, several plugins for both (Photoshop-specific versions and Aperture-specific versions).

--
Pete, Brisbane
============

Dear Moderator,

I just posted my initial impression and problems with Affinity Photo onto this forum, but I did it in this section - the Announcement/News etc.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate in the "Questions" section? If you agree, please feel free to move the post to there if you can.

Thanks.

--
Pete, Brisbane
============

• Staff

Hello Pentaxian,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1) When you click the cloud icon and the small red cross appears it means the download has started. Check the white outline around the image to follow the download progress. Since those files are big it may take a little to complete the process.

2) The Photoshop plug-in support isn't finished yet. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Some plug-in developers require the final application (rather than a development one) to offer assistance/support solving persisting issues. Soon we will publish a list of the supported plug-ins. If yours are not working as expected, they aren't probably supported at this point. We will be adding support for more as we move forward.

Congratulations to the team.  

You have already got two killer apps out. Having a common core of editing features is stunning - especially CMYK throughout.  I can finally say goodbye to Illustrator and Photoshop. 

I know you guys deserve a long holiday for the excellent work you have done so far... but approximately how long before we can get our hands on Publisher so I can get rid of InDesign as well...?  

Here's to 5 stars across the review boards - you deserve it!

Instant purchase! Congrats to the team!  Best part no subscription fee.  I voice my opinion with my feet and they are now at Affinity's doorstep.  Now if I could just replace LR.

What a great program a great price.  Just goes to show some companies do care about what their customers want and don't shove things down their throat.  Keep up the great work!

Benutze einfach die eingebaute HILFE Funktion. Die ist besser als man denkt!

Also ich finde noch nicht einmal, wie man eine Selektion vergrößert/verkleinert. "Skalieren" nix. Zu "Transformieren" spuckt die Hilfe zwar etwas aus, aber das Transformieren Panel ist zB nach CMD+A ausgegraut. "Grausam".

Well, I've just taken the plunge and bought both programs. I'm not a heavy Photoshop user but I have enjoyed using Lightroom, my main program has been InDesign so I am looking forward to your alternative to that. I used to use a Serif DTP program many years ago so it's nice to see you back in the market. Cheers, Ian.