You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Templates

gyan1

Hi Gyan

I am returning to graphics after a gap of over forty years, apart from the odd foray in to MS Publisher and Word. I have found that templates are OK but they never quite hit the mark for what people want. Most of my work is done free for local charities and is my retirement hobby.

I have found that https://www.freepik.com/ can give you a good guide to designs and most can be downloaded for free, if you are not using them other than to find out how it is done Affinity opens most of the formats available.. If you do want to use them you need to attribute the author or Freepik somewhere on the design. Also Publisher opens PDF designs and gives a basis for learning how the designer has created it. One of the key lessons for me was not to worry about shapes that went outside the document area e.g. if you wanted a curve use a circle or oval and let most of it hang over the edge so you get your curve on the document.

I also keep my eye on Behance https://www.behance.net/  and Dribble https://dribbble.com/ which give you any idea of what is trending. 

The Forum is building up quite a comprehensive Tutorial Library and even if what they are doing is not quite what you are looking for the techniques can be applied to your own design.

Good luck for your journey

AlanP

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2019 at 8:47 PM, gyan1 said:

Affinity team,

are there some publisher templates available???

affinity programs are so good, just inspired to develop my creativity. Some good training???

Thanks

Gyan

The latest beta on Mac has a templates option and apparently will be included in possibly the next Windows beta. I guess that will create a market for lots of templates.

• 3 years later...

I would also like to vote for some templates to be included for Affinity Publisher please. Yes I know it can open Indesign files, but it can't open all InDesign files have found, i.e. it won't open Indesign templates that I have purchased from Adobe Stock - so Ironically I have had to use a free Indesign trial in order to convert the files from .indt and to .idml files.

So yes, if new users of Affinity Publisher could be presented with some basic templates e.g. Flier, Brochure etc this would really help as it would save time in the futile hunting for non-existent Affinity Publisher templates online.

Thanks for listening!

• 1 month later...

Hi Affinity.

As a very early adopter of Serif software, when I bought an iMac back in 2014 I looked for Serif software apps. Eventually Affinity arose with Designer and then Photo which I purchased and waited patiently for Publisher. After many long years it arrived and then I had the set. I purchased the manuals too but never got round to sitting down and working my way through them. 

I had previously done all my work using Pageplus which I loved and it had lots of templates I could use.

I decided to pick up where I left off many years ago and thought about producing a little magazine/newsletter I did for a charity but I've looked up and down the many, many options but when wanting to start a new file from a template they don't seem to be there. Baffling.

Is this deliberate or do they need to be purchased. I looked on the Affinity website under resources and it I wanted brushes there are loads but templates I couldn't find. Just a bit gutted really.

So if there's a poll for the return of the templates, it gets my vote.

P

• 2 months later...

Newly landed - Previous experience: battling with Quark Express in the late 90s.
I'm looking to  produce and self publish poetry in pamphlets up to 64 pages - 16 sheets.
From what I read last year this was all very doable on Affinity Publisher 2.
No more dragging lines between text boxes to control the text flow.
From what I've seen so far that may not be doable. And I cant find any templates, or much help in help on templates.
Have I missed something. Are there any templates that are importable that any of you would recommend?

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Edited by tomfo
accuracy

On 8/18/2023 at 3:56 PM, Peter Wilkinson said:

Hi Affinity.

As a very early adopter of Serif software, when I bought an iMac back in 2014 I looked for Serif software apps. Eventually Affinity arose with Designer and then Photo which I purchased and waited patiently for Publisher. After many long years it arrived and then I had the set. I purchased the manuals too but never got round to sitting down and working my way through them. 

I had previously done all my work using Pageplus which I loved and it had lots of templates I could use.

I decided to pick up where I left off many years ago and thought about producing a little magazine/newsletter I did for a charity but I've looked up and down the many, many options but when wanting to start a new file from a template they don't seem to be there. Baffling.

Is this deliberate or do they need to be purchased. I looked on the Affinity website under resources and it I wanted brushes there are loads but templates I couldn't find. Just a bit gutted really.

P

On 8/18/2023 at 3:56 PM, Peter Wilkinson said:

Hi Affinity.

P

Hi Peter - did you find any templates? I've been going around in circles trying to find pamphlet/ chapbook templates for 64 pages 16 sheets - All I've found is links to basically leaflet templates that I could have created elsewhere.  I'm probably missing something here. For the time being I will assume it is me and not that I was convinced by the blurb that Publisher will do the job. 

25 minutes ago, tomfo said:

I've been going around in circles trying to find pamphlet/ chapbook templates for 64 pages 16 sheets

What kind of template do you need? It's not a given that what you download will work for you. But it's not a problem to create your own template.
First, choose the format and size of the brochure. The color profile depends on whether you are going to print it for a publishing house or just for yourself.
1. Create text styles: for the title, author, text. That is, for all possible elements.
2. Create and customize a page master. You can use several of them. One, for example, for page numbering only. Others for designing other pages. Then you can apply the master page to the master page.
And then you can edit the text of your brochure.

Search in Google: free books template idml

These will be templates for Indesign, but you can open them in Publisher and then save them as afpub.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

46 minutes ago, tomfo said:

Hi Peter - did you find any templates? I've been going around in circles trying to find pamphlet/ chapbook templates for 64 pages 16 sheets - All I've found is links to basically leaflet templates that I could have created elsewhere.  I'm probably missing something here. For the time being I will assume it is me and not that I was convinced by the blurb that Publisher will do the job. 

There are templates you can find on the internet made for InDesign that come in .idml format. Those can be opened in Affinity Publisher. It takes some looking. 

And you may find, I think on the indesignsecrets website, the templates Adobe use to supply with InDesign. Those all are, I believe, .idml format. Among them are long and short documents. 

33 minutes ago, anto said:

What kind of template do you need? It's not a given that what you download will work for you. But it's not a problem to create your own template.
First, choose the format and size of the brochure. The color profile depends on whether you are going to print it for a publishing house or just for yourself.
1. Create text styles: for the title, author, text. That is, for all possible elements.
2. Create and customize a page master. You can use several of them. One, for example, for page numbering only. Others for designing other pages. Then you can apply the master page to the master page.
And then you can edit the text of your brochure.

Search in Google: free books template idml

These will be templates for Indesign, but you can open them in Publisher and then save them as afpub.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

essentially its not the look of the page that is the issue. I can format that with no problem. What I want is a template [ or whatever the appropriate phrase is] that will have the text flow between text frames so that each A4 sheet has 2 text frames - 2 pages, with the page numbers appropriate to the text. 16  folded sheets of A4 gives 64 pages. 
This may be called imposition.. On QuarkXPress years ago you worked out where each page would sit on the sheet by making a little folded booklet in paper. Once you had that you could see where you had to drag the text flow lines between text boxes/  frames.
I thought Affinity Publisher would have had such templates set up. Its an old problem.
I will look InDesign  to see if they have what I want.
Thanks for you input. T

3 minutes ago, tomfo said:

What I want is a template [ or whatever the appropriate phrase is] that will have the text flow between text frames so that each A4 sheet has 2 text frames - 2 pages, with the page numbers appropriate to the text. 16  folded sheets of A4 gives 64 pages. 

You do not need create any template. During print select Printer PDF (or print directly), Layout- Model - Booklet and Publisher creates booklet as you wish.

1 hour ago, tomfo said:

This may be called imposition.. On QuarkXPress years ago you worked out where each page would sit on the sheet by making a little folded booklet in paper. Once you had that you could see where you had to drag the text flow lines between text boxes/  frames.
I thought Affinity Publisher would have had such templates set up. Its an old problem. ...

I would recommend an imposition application, if that's what you are wanting to do. One opens pdfs exported from any application, choses the type of imposition, how many pages in a signature if needed/wanted, etc., etc. Once the imposition satisfies one's needs, an imposed pdf is generated and one does the printing, trimming (if bleed is required).

The linked discussion begins where we were recommending imposition software for both Windows and Macs.

Oh, btw, in the olden days, there were XTensions for QXP that did impositions inside of QXP via building a new file for the imposed version. Quark eventually bought that company and that XT (and the others that company made) were then available to QXP users (sometimes free when upgrading, fee-based if not upgrading). But really, there has always been relatively inexpensive imposition applications and there was less and less desire/need to supply the XTs, which often needed updated by Quark for the new versions.

1 hour ago, anto said:

You do not need create any template. During print select Printer PDF (or print directly), Layout- Model - Booklet and Publisher creates booklet as you wish.

Anto - thank you. I think you've got me to where I want to be. Intense looking in the wrong direction for several hours didn't improve the view. Glad I asked. T