You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All, 

I'm a hobbyist and learning to do Affinity on my own. I am not a professional designer so I accept this might be a basic question, but I searched the forum and found only one solution which didn't apply - and everything on the web is for Affinity Photo. 

I have a jpg I have used as a front cover of a presentation and I would like to tear the paper across it so I can put the title in the torn paper. I've tried to download some torn paper but the files aren't good enough to drag and size without degradation ( I suppose I should say "vectored"?). 

I want to do it in the middle and the bottom, so I can put some text there too. 

I've seen people kindly help others with their files here, and while I appreciate the quick help in advance, I want to learn to do it on my own so I can start to learn how to use this software. 

Can anyone tell me of a video I've missed? (I've searched everywhere) or of a tool I should use to accomplish this? I found some tutorials on how to do this in Adobe, but I can't find an equivalent to the Warp Tool which seemed to be what people used to achieve the desired effect. 

I know I don't have much to offer but questions right now, but one day I will return the favour with some advice for other newbies! 

Welcome David,

In Affinity Designer you also have pixel persona, this is probably a better option than trying to create a vectored ripped paper. You can use the grunge 1 brush to create the torn fibres of the paper, I feel a quick video coming on lol!

This isn't the only way to do this but I hope it gives you an idea.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

To add to what firstdefence said above, it really depends on how torn you want the paper to look and how realistic you want it to be.
My attached example was done very quickly by drawing a slightly-curved line across the bottom of the image, setting the Blend Mode to Erase, using one of the basic Pen Brushes – Brush Ink Pen (first in list with size of 32) – and giving it a larger stroke width as appropriate. It’s not perfect but it’s quick and it's all vectors.

Annotation 2019-11-02 092136.png

Thanks All! Extremely appreciated. I didn't know to open up Designer on it's own to get this effect as I was working in Publisher and using a persona. There are so many options its going to take time to learn them all. 

By the way, I just couldn't manage to paint the brushing in white. Tried everything and finally got grey to work. Not sure I understand why. 

Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 17.30.49.png

Ive taken Wosven's idea of using graphics. I chopped the paper graphic up and made two different ones you can place underneath the text to make it look like ripped out paper. see images below.

So, this is what I ended up with.
1237515623_ScreenShot2019-11-02at18_50_40.thumb.png.31b90eeada69a0d1092540bf5a97ffc5.png

I chopped this image up...
ripped-2034950_1920.thumb.png.967a8295f6f280df27d517297d93aa76.png

To make these.

Torn Strip: I used this one for the bottom
2104228933_Tornstrip2.thumb.png.eaae255d211ff7da718deb2561e63f61.png

Torn Strip 2: I used this one for the top
1603937272_Tornstrip.thumb.png.84abc699ca6e8aebf2401e7dd3cc5bfb.png

Then I just dragged them into the image placed and scaled them as I thought best and typed over them.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@firstdefence How did you get the fill inside the torn paper image and the really crisp perimeter?  I tried using a rectangle shape, filling it with the color of the paper image, and then using the selection brush too to cut out the strip, but with decidedly dodgy results.  Here is my grubby attempt.

1249492469_ScreenShot2019-11-03at2_20_32PM.png.137a2c3939ce69d899ba1fe493954c7c.png 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

How did you get the fill inside the torn paper image and the really crisp perimeter?

This how I did it. Had a brain fart when cloning the texture lol!

@firstdefence  Thank you so much!  Your video is a wonderful explanation and I really appreciate the time you took — and your kindness — in sharing your expertise.  Torn paper isn’t the only thing that will materialize from knowing how to do this.  Again, thank you.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9