You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rendering bug: Half/Hi - resolution still flickernig

Nero

Hi all, I think I should report this really annoying bug that is still present.

See screenrecording (it's not about video compression) - to me it seems like canvas is divided to many parts and the part right below cursor renders in half resolution then redraw in retina but jumps back and forward from sharp to pixelated :(

Present for a long time - whenever I search in forum for GUI bugs it seems to me like this wasn't reported or at least resolved yet. Sorry if I duplicate such report...

Affinity Photo 1.7.3 on iMac 27-inch 2017, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, macOS 10.15.1

No matter if I turn Open GL instead of Metal in preferences...

• Staff

Hey Nero,

I believe this is the way our renderer works when you have 'Show brush previews' enabled in Preferences > User Interface. As you said, it is generating a lower resolution preview and then a retina one once the movement has settled. You should only really be seeing the redraw if the cursor moves (even slightly). 

Can you confirm this doesn't happen when you disable 'Show brush previews'? I'm not suggesting you do that indefinitely—it's just to get confirmation about the area that may need looking at.

Thank you for quick reply @Chris B, when disabled it works like this:

I see the outline of brush without colour fill inside and as long as I'm painting (mouse button pressed) its surrounding is in half resolution until I stop (release mouse button).

So it's not flickering when I just move around with the brush preview disabled and don't draw anything.

Btw could I show just crosshair instead of brush outline? When I check it with brush preview disabled it shows crosshair with outline together.

However brush pointer (with or without cross) looks like half res with kind of compression artefacts around (see on the screen record). :( 

Thanks a lot!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff
On 11/1/2019 at 3:58 PM, Nero said:

Thank you for quick reply @Chris B, when disabled it works like this:

I see the outline of brush without colour fill inside and as long as I'm painting (mouse button pressed) its surrounding is in half resolution until I stop (release mouse button).

So it's not flickering when I just move around with the brush preview disabled and don't draw anything.

Btw could I show just crosshair instead of brush outline? When I check it with brush preview disabled it shows crosshair with outline together.

Hi Nero,
The way you described above is how it currently works: with Show brush previews disabled, it doesn't flicker on mouse-over (without painting) but still changes to low res while you paint with the brush - this issue is already logged but remains open to be looked at (no developments yet here).

Regarding the last point, currently there's no way to turn the brush outline off, only the preview (the fill inside as you called it). I will log this as an improvement request.