You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe fonts for iOS

Adobe- I know four letter word, has updated their creative cloud app on iOS to support fonts. I have installed some but designer doesn’t see them. This is supposed to be system wide use for these. Has anyone else tried it yet?

thanks

Jim

• Staff

Hi 3DJ,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you make sure you have restarted Affinity since installing these fonts? Do they appear in other non Adobe apps?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

So far they don’t appear in anything other than Adobe apps, but they are supposed to, especially since it is installing them through the system settings for fonts. Just when I got excited about this, I am bummed out. I keep using Designer more and more, and on Desktop I can use my adobe fonts with it no problem, it’s only been an issue when I try to work on the same document on ipad. Hopefully this gets sorted out. I have tried restarting everything and the ipad, uninstalled and reinstalled. No luck. 

I winder if anyone else has tried this yet?

Thanks,

Jim

Similar situation here, only other app i see installed fonts at this moment is Keynote. So i suppose it is to be system wide, once all apps update to latest custom font API. Hope it will be sooner rather than later because 17000 font library seems sweet and i cant wait to try it out in Designer!

10 hours ago, ihendrih said:

Similar situation here, only other app i see installed fonts at this moment is Keynote. So i suppose it is to be system wide, once all apps update to latest custom font API. Hope it will be sooner rather than later because 17000 font library seems sweet and i cant wait to try it out in Designer!

I think you’re right and hopefully we will see some updates soon for this. 

According to this article on Engadget https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/01/adobe-font-library-iphone-ipad/ app developers need to add the functionality using the adobe fonts api 

Developers can enable these typefaces in third-party apps by using Adobe's custom API called Fonts. In other words, not all apps on your device will be able to use the typefaces; compatibility has to be specifically added as a feature. Of course, any Adobe app is going to work with the API. Users can open the Creative Cloud app, navigate to the Fonts tab and pick any typefaces to sync across their devices.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure if that endgadget article is incorrect given that Apple released font management as a feature in iOS13 and fonts installed via Adobe CC app (I just have the $10/mo LR sub) work in pages etc.  Adobe is just using iOS13 font management, and the Affinity apps haven't hooked into it yet.

They really should, as it's great not to have to mess around with profiles and it's an official Apple feature that will be present going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I'd read this discussion thread before I spent $1.99 in the App store a few minutes ago. Being new to iOS, I'd just assumed that the few fonts I saw within Affinity Photo were all that are available on the device. The one thing I've learned from the AnyFont app is there are tons of fonts already installed.

I really hope Affinity fixes this issue so I can use something besides Arial in my compositing.

Not having access to Adobes fonts is what is stopping me from using Designer on my iPad for work. I’m always dealing with old files that other designers made with adobe software and typekit. No issue when I’m using my MacBook but my iPad is a bit of a paper weight in this scenario unfortunate as it stands. Can’t wait for them to allow this! 

• 2 months later...

Just adding my request here too. Can Affinity please add support for fonts installed by other apps (as apple added in iOS 13.)

Pages Numbers and Keynote all see the new font's I've installed from Creative Cloud - but Affinity (and Procreate admittedly) don't. This would be a huge benefit to my workflow to have access to these fonts.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:34 AM, LanceKing said:

Being new to iOS, I'd just assumed that the few fonts I saw within Affinity Photo......

There are quite a lot available.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Please make Adobe fonts work with Designer. It’s such a hassle to look up, download and install every font separately from the settings. It would save a lot of people so much time. 

I love Designer, and I wouldn’t trade it for a different app but considering Adobe already has tons of fonts in their library that can easily be integrated, it’s a shame not to use this feature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At this point I’m hoping this feature comes along with Publisher for iPadOS. The font menu needs an overhaul aswell. I have my fingers crossed that we’re gunna see that soon, maybe WWDC hopefully along with Logic Pro and Final Cut...the iPad is becoming so amazing!