Tristan Biesecker

AD (1.3.2) and AP (1.3.4) icon and launch bugs after newest update

So, after downloading Affinity Photo from the app store, there have been all kinds of bugs with the file thumbnails for AD and AP. In addition, the default applications for launching these files are mixed up.

First, the thumbnails. I am experiencing various bugs here. On some of my accounts, the thumbnails for AD and AF files don't show up (they are still the white page). On other accounts, the new AD thumbnail shows up for both .afdesign and .afphoto files (see attached). I have also experienced them being swapped; i.e., the .afdesign files show the AP thumbnail and the .afdesign files show the AD thumbnails.

Second, the default app for launching. Basically, the "default" application for either file type is one application. Put differently, the default application for both .afdesign and .afphoto files might be AD; or, it could reversed. For example, when I select a particular file type (say .afdesign) and choose the default app for that file type to be AD and apply that to all files of that type, that also changes the default application for .afphoto files to AD! See attached.

I have tried everything I know to fix this from wiping everything (that I know of) related to AD and AF and starting from scratch (reinstalling), to rebuilding launch services, etc. Nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Update 1

I have found that, although the icons are still mixed up between applications (at this point I actually don't have AP icons, AD icons show up for both AD and AP), I can reliably show them if I increase the font size in the Finder window to 13 from the default 12 (in column view). They show up as the default white page though if the font size is 12. In list view, however, the icon size has to be set to large (regardless of font size) for the icons to show up. Weird??

Update 2

So, it appears that changing the font size in column view only showed the icons for one of my machines. It didn't do anything for my laptop (still just white pages).

post-1853-0-51423100-1436420718_thumb.png

post-1853-0-10638900-1436421032_thumb.png

Edited by Tristan Biesecker

Sorry about this :(  We'll get looking at this when AndyT comes in later this morning - he's our resident expert in this field so now the apps are both live on the store we should be able to see what's happening more clearly and sort it out. Sorry about this in the meantime...

Matt

Sorry about this :(  We'll get looking at this when AndyT comes in later this morning - he's our resident expert in this field so now the apps are both live on the store we should be able to see what's happening more clearly and sort it out. Sorry about this in the meantime...

Matt

Thanks Matt. Any news?

For now, the icons would be nice, but is there any way to fix the .afphoto and .afdesign default app issue? This is really annoying as I have to right-click on all .afphoto files and say open with .afphoto instead of just double clicking.

Thanks Matt. Any news?

For now, the icons would be nice, but is there any way to fix the .afphoto and .afdesign default app issue? This is really annoying as I have to right-click on all .afphoto files and say open with .afphoto instead of just double clicking.

Unfortunately, there's currently nothing you can do but we are still looking into it. It's a side effect we introduce because we share the same iCloud folders. Hopefully, we find a fix for the next release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have you tried to select a ".afphoto" then press ⌘ + i  

and select open with photo, then click change all.

Cheers

Have you tried to select a ".afphoto" then press ⌘ + i  

and select open with photo, then click change all.

Cheers

Yeah, but unfortunately that changes the default app for the other file type as well. See my original post for more details.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Unfortunately, there's currently nothing you can do but we are still looking into it. It's a side effect we introduce because we share the same iCloud folders. Hopefully, we find a fix for the next release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that is very unfortunate. I would suggest just having separate iCloud folders if that fixes the issue.

Hi Andrew,

Your suggestion for the icons (which I only saw in my email thread, it didn't post it here for some reason) didn't work. It still shows just the AD icon for both .afdesign and .afphoto files (given the conditions posted above). There was only one generator found using the command below

qlmanage -m

which was com.seriflabs.affinity -> /Applications/Affinity Photo.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/QuickLook.qlgenerator (2.0 - loaded)

Hi Andrew,

Your suggestion for the icons (which I only saw in my email thread, it didn't post it here for some reason) didn't work. It still shows just the AD icon for both .afdesign and .afphoto files (given the conditions posted above). There was only one generator found using the command below

qlmanage -m

which was com.seriflabs.affinity -> /Applications/Affinity Photo.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/QuickLook.qlgenerator (2.0 - loaded)

That's to do with document preview generation. I realise after my initial reply that it wasn't what you were asking, although it might all be related. I've removed it from my reply now.

That's to do with document preview generation. I realise after my initial reply that it wasn't what you were asking, although it might all be related. I've removed it from my reply now.

Yeah, I figured it didn't when I saw that, but I was hoping that you knew some system-level voodoo that I didn't  :)

For me, many but not all of the app icons shown at the top of the "Get Info" window are backwards -- .afphoto files set to open with AP show the Designer app icon & visa versa. (They show the correct icon down in the "Open With" section.) And in Finder window icon views with "Show icon preview" turned off, they all show the Designer app icon, regardless of extension or what app they are set to open with by default.

And even more confusingly, some but not all the files set to open with AP according to Get Info's Open with show AD as the default when I right click on the file in a Finder window ... even if they open correctly with AP if I just double-click on them.

It isn't entirely random: some of it seems to have something to do with if I used the File > Open in Photo or Open in Designer option to switch between apps, but I have not worked out exactly how that affects it.

BTW, I had even weirder problems, like Gatekeeper telling me AP was an unsigned app if I double-clicked on a file set (according to Get Info's Open With setting) to open with AP, but that went away after doing a Permissions Repair on the iMac's hard disk. This may also (I think) have cured the issue with setting the global 'open with' default for one Affinity file type incorrectly setting it for both.

Config info: OS X version 10.10.4; AP version 1.3.4; AD version 1.3.2; 2012 27" iMac w/ 8GB of RAM. No unusual system additions other than the Kensington Trackball Works version 1.2.1 (which Kensington claims is compatible with OS X 10.10.x). Probably not relevant but I use iCloud Photo Sharing & My Photo Stream but not iCloud Photo Library with Apple's Photos app.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1