You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I install a new font in Affinity Publisher?

How can I install a font in Affinity Publisher?

I found a font on Fontsquirrel that a client liked and I don't know how to get it into Publisher.

I have searched the web and the help but there is no information on how to do it.

I'm on OS X High Sierra.

I did it once, years ago, the Peignot font.

But I just got into it and saw adding fonts to any application is adding fonts to fontbook.

For those who are also new to this:

1. go to a font library like Google fonts or font squirrel, download font

2. open fontbook

3. Have fontbook open and the download folder. 

4. Drag font into fontbook. On users or on "computer" where it becomes a system font.

PS: when I tried to drag the Arapey font onto the computer collection of fonts (system fonts) I got an error messages "2 minor problems were found" without saying what those problems were. So I left the font in the user folder, where I didn't get any error.

2 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Seems you never installed any fonts on a Mac; just doubleclick on the font you downloaded and follow the macOS instructions. The font should appear atomatically.

For completeness, if you happen to be a developer you may have other tools installed as well that would interrupt that double-click as described so if double-clicking the font doesn't open Font Book, Font Book is the app that will let you install them.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

48 minutes ago, World View said:

4. Drag font into fontbook. On users or on "computer" where it becomes a system font.

Who told you to drag into fontbook?

48 minutes ago, Brad Brighton said:

if you happen to be a developer you may have other tools installed as well that would interrupt that double-click

I doubt that this is the case - otherwise he´d know what to do with a font - don´t you think? ;)

4 hours ago, PixelPest said:

I doubt that this is the case - otherwise he´d know what to do with a font - don´t you think? ;)

Only if any development the OP may do is specifically for fonts. FTXcode and FTXViewer catch me periodically when I'm trying to install, not debug, and I *do* know what to do with fonts.

These are tools that are installed but I never have a need for them. FTXcode specifically can capture that double-click; the only harm is to my vocabulary for me. For someone otherwise unfamiliar with those tools, specifically calling out the app needed may help them realize that the default open app may not be Font Book.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers