You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.499] Column width handler is shifted

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new document
  2. Create text frame
  3. Increase number of columns to 2

Expected result:

• User should be able to adjust columns' width proportion by dragging the gap between columns

Current result:

• User is able to adjust the proportion, but has to drag and drop some invisible handler which is placed to the left of the gap

The drag&drop zone is indicated by the left-right arrow cursor - please check the image:

IMG_20191031_193631.thumb.jpg.2cc3740a262e8ce11dacbd0a468a0bd9.jpg

Interesting, @SirPL. That works fine for me in 1.8.0.499 and identically to the way that 1.7.3 works. The arrow appears in the gutter.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

44 minutes ago, SirPL said:

On my machine the issue is persistent. May you please check the document I created in 1.8.0.499? 

What I also found is that the shift is getting bigger as the left column width is increased.

test.afpub

I can recreate it now. The key is that you have to resize the text frame to cause the problem.

I can draw any size text frame I want, with 2 columns, and the column-resizing arrow appears properly in the gutter.

However, if I then drag the right or left edge of the frame to make the frame wider or narrower, then the arrow is misplaced.

This happens in 1.7.3, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Gutter drag handles become misaligned when text frame is scaled) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.