You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I stop files from opening on export?

I've seen an option somewhere to auto-open files on export but at the moment I'm using continuous export and am exporting a bunch of files and it's annoying. But what's more annoying not being able to find where to stop the auto-opening of files. Any ideas where to find this setting?

Note: I'm on version 1.7.3 of Affinity Designer.

When you export the PDF untick the "Preview PDF" box in the export dialogue.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Oh... it only shows up under certain types. I was exporting JPEG and there's no checkbox but it applies to them anyway. Seems like a UX issue to me. Thanks for the heads up!

image.thumb.png.984394b38faa3b8d44bb19daa46efe12.png

Also, where is the option in the export persona?

Edited by HYR
Clarification

4 hours ago, HYR said:

I was exporting JPEG and there's no checkbox but it applies to them anyway.

Are you a Mac or Windows user, & if a Mac user which macOS version are you using?

I ask because on my Mac running High Sierra this option only applies to PDF exports -- even if it is enabled for that file type, exports to any of the others does not open Preview.app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

All I can tell you is with High Sierra on my iMac, the option only applies to PDF exports. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Could it be something to do with your file type associations set in the OS? If you are exporting as a file type for which Photo is the default program, then it will not be opened on export. If you export as a type for which there is a default program, then it will be  opened.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hello all,
Yes, I get this auto opening of other exported image formats in Preview too, not just PDFs. But it only works from the Export Persona.

To get other file types to auto open after export do the following;
From File > Export…, select the PDF tab and check ‘Preview export when complete’ and then cancel the window.
Now when exporting from the Export Persona other file types like jpeg, png, tiff, etc... will all open automatically on export.
To turn off go back to the File > Export… options window and deselect ‘Preview export when complete’ in the PDF tab and cancel the window again.

It’s probably not supposed to work like this but it is a useful bug at times. So in a way I hope it doesn’t get fixed in a future update!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

3 hours ago, markw said:

But it only works from the Export Persona.

Good catch! That's how it works for me as well. In fact, if I set the Export Persona to export a slice to multiple formats, say PNG & JPEG, then after exporting the slice, the PNG opens in Affinity Photo (because I have set that app as the default for PNG's) and the JPEG opens in Preview (because that is my default app for JPEG's).

Like you said, this could be a useful bug once users know how to exploit it, but it would be better if there was some way to enable or disable it on a per format basis in the Export Persona, or something like that.

Affinity Photo 

I don't have a problem with the feature at all, in fact I like it a lot. I just couldn't find it to disable it when I needed it to stop, which was frustrating. :6_smile: I'd prefer the option to be available via the export persona and so I can use it on whatever file type I want.