You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Re-order Master Spreads does not work

Thanks for the latest beta and some great new features.

I tried to reorder master spreads and I can see blue indicators where they are supposed to drop. But the master spreads stay in place.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

When reordering master pages, the default names of the masters are also swapped around so it can look like nothing moved.

Either rename your master pages before moving them or add different stuff to each master then test again and check the pages Layer panel to see if they moved.

It's also very easy to drag one master on top another, further confusing things

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

30 minutes ago, carl123 said:

When reordering master pages, the default names of the masters are also swapped around so it can look like nothing moved.

Either rename your master pages before moving them or add different stuff to each master then test again and check the pages Layer panel to see if they moved.

It's also very easy to drag one master on top another, further confusing things

Thanks @carl123,

this is an explanation. With added content and renamed masters I can see that reordering works. Swapping default names looks funny to me, though. Is there a reason behind this?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Is there a reason behind this?

Probably just a bug, I can't see any reason to do it that way

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

It's not a bug, they are default names based on the order of the Master Pages. Master A/B/C is basically just a numbering system

If you have given them specific names it then becomes a property of the page and is retained as you've seen.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

27 minutes ago, Jon P said:

It's not a bug, they are default names based on the order of the Master Pages. Master A/B/C is basically just a numbering system

If you have given them specific names it then becomes a property of the page and is retained as you've seen.

Thanks for explaining. I never thought of it as a numbering system. Learned something new :)

d.

37 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Hmmm, bug or not I think we can expect some major confusion/frustration once users discover this "feature"

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Hmmm, bug or not I think we can expect some major confusion/frustration once users discover this "feature" 

I agree. I suggest greying out the default names until they are changed by the user. Or put them in brackets (like in the layer panel).
If it is a kind of numbering, as @Jon P says, then perhaps it would be better to use numbers.

On 10/31/2019 at 11:20 AM, Jon P said:

I don't think it is a good idea. If you swap two master pages together with their names, pages associated to these master pages will change their contents, which would not be OK.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.