You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double-click the Artboard's icon in the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, ralphonz said:

Is there a way to make this so it only zooms to the width of the artboard?  For designing responsive websites, I don't want it to fit the height, only the width!

No, as far as I know.

But how is the zooming that Designer does while you're using it related to designing responsive websites?

Designer's zoom does not affect how anything you export from Designer will work on whatever website you plug it into. Just adjust the zoom to whatever you need.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 hours ago, ralphonz said:

For designing responsive websites, I don't want it to fit the height, only the width!

As @walt.farrell said, the AD zoom level has no effect on what a web page would display in an exported version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, walt.farrell said:

No, as far as I know.

But how is the zooming that Designer does while you're using it related to designing responsive websites?

Designer's zoom does not affect how anything you export from Designer will work on whatever website you plug it into. Just adjust the zoom to whatever you need.

It's about workflow: being able to fit it to the width gives you a better idea of what it would look like when constrained to a screen.   as the user of a website never see the entire page on a screen - they have to scroll (usually) - it's not very helpful to see the whole height.  constantly adjusting the zoom is a pain, would be good if there was a quick way to do it.

blueleafstudio.net

Affinity Designer - Mac OS X

Two possibilities here;
Option1:
Go to View > New View
This will open a new tab showing your document. Set this View to your desired area and zoom level. In the other tab, or tabs if you make more New Views, you can can move around and zoom as much as you want and always have the your “Overview” tab to go back to.
The downside to this method is remembering which “tab” you are in and acidently altering your Overview!

Option 2: (my preferred)
Go to View > Studio and activate the Navigator Panel.
Next click the small menu icon top right and select ‘Advanced’.
(An empty View Point field will now be visible with an options gearwheel next to it at the bottom of the Navigator panel).
Position and zoom your canvas to taste.
Finally click the Navigators menu icon again or the “Gear” icon and choose Add.
View Points can also be renamed for added clarity when using them.
Double clicking a View Point will return it to it’s original position & zoom.
Like New Views above you can have as many View Points as you wish.

669532435_Screenshot2020-03-06at13_39_33.png.79ed9a1234981a14e27ad7c9496cb0f0.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Another zooming method that may work for you: With the Zoom tool active, you can hold the Alt modifier key (on Windows;not sure about Mac) and draw a marquee around the area you want to zoom to. So, if you wanted the width of an artboard (or an object) but not the height, draw a marquee with the Zoom Tool that covers the full width but only part of the height.

Possibly that would work on its own, or you could use that technique in combination with @markw's suggestions about using views or viewpoints.

-- Walt
PC: