You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New eMail Discussion

Sharon Villines

For those who like email discussions and the quick answers it brings, I've set up a group on Groups.io. If you don't know Groups.io, it is a non-advertising based service that is superior to the collapsed Yahoo or GoogleGroups. Many features and attractive as well. I'm switching from Adobe products and need a place to ask questions. I was on a similar list for InDesign and it saved my life at 3am on many nights. And provided a lot of information. I'm hoping this list will do the same. There are almost no subscribers at the moment. It takes time to build a list. We need some expert users who can answer questions and who can ask each other questions that the rest of us can learn from. 

To subscribe send a blank email to:

affinity-designer-photo-publisher+subscribe@groups.io

Yes, since Affinity is an integrated suite all three will be discussed until the list is too large.

Sharon

How will this be better than Affinity Forums? What makes you think that you would get faster responses? Would you be expecting input from the Affinity staff?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 hours ago, Sharon Villines said:

For those who like email discussions and the quick answers it brings, I've set up a group on Groups.io.

I doubt the answers could be any quicker than one typically gets here :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Some people are forum people and some are email people. EMail is more spontaneous. I like forums when I have a specific question that has probably  been answered before — on Wordpress themes, for example. But I find them more stilted and hard to consult. Posting a question may or may not get a response. I haven't found the same sense of a "group" on forums that I've found in email discussion groups.

Sharon

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but mailing lists are EXTREMELY old fashioned, not at all spontanious, much slower and harder to use than a forum (for one you have to dig through a lot of mails each day, whereas in a forum you can easily set reminders just for the topics you are interested in and even activate mail alerts if you want to).

Also, many mailing lists have additional advertising and spam included nowadays -- it is very easy (and for the admin very tempting) to simply post ads or offers once they have a collection of personal mail addresses (including the permission to send mails to everyone).

In addition you seem to be a very new member, and, sorry to say that, I personally would not trust you with my email address or any other contact details, simply because it looks as if you just registered to this forum to start pushing your email list and tout for the service you are using to run it -- I might be wrong here, but I do advise you to build some trust by participating in the discussions here, answering questions and talking to people before asking for personal information.

Last but not least, I am sure it's not in anyones interest to split this community up and form an email splinter group -- this forum is a great source of knowledge and information regarding the Affinity software as well as first line of contact to the developers. Are you seriously trying to convince people, there is a better way to get answers to questions than to communicate directly with the people who create the software (and I'm not only talking about Serifs stellar support team members but also about the actual programmers running around and helping in these forums!)?

What you are doing here is comparable to walking into a hotel lobby, drinking the complementary water and walking around with a large sign for your B&B around your neck -- very bad style.

Sorry, since I've been around email lists and forums for 30 years I forget that not everyone knows my name, particularly on a new forum. You are welcome to join  the email list as well as participate in the forum. Some people prefer email discussion groups to forums. Forums also divide the discussion by using categories that questions have to fit into. Email discussion groups are about more than questions.

To subscribe send a blank email to:

affinity-designer-photo-publisher+subscribe@groups.io