You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Channel Packing Alpha Channel - Export without multiply

Hi, 

I am using Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop for game development work. 

One common workflow, when authoring textures for games, is to use the alpha channel to define some material property (rather than transparency). In the Unity game engine, alpha is used for the "smoothness" channel.

In Affinity Photo, it is actually quite easy to use the channel panel to paste a smoothness image, put in into a spare channel, then move it into the alpha. So far, so good. 

HOWEVER... When the file is exported, the R,G and B pixel values appear to be multiplied by the corresponding alpha value.  This makes the export unusable, because while the alpha is correct, the R,G and B are suddenly not the values which were authored.

I tried to see if all exports formats did the same thing.  This issue happens whether the document has a transparent or solid background, or whether the exporter is PNG, TGA or TIFF. 

I can understand why this behaviour might be the default,  but it means that this very commonplace channel-packing workflow is not possible using Affinity Photo. 

I would very much like to request a feature where export "premultiply" behaviour could be turned-off. Perhaps with an export checkbox. Or perhaps off by default on transparent background documents.

This was the first video I looked at. 

If you watch it, it shows a workflow where the R/G and B channels are constructed - but the alpha channel is left solid. (In fact, the video advises it).

The problem happens when the alpha channel is not solid, which is a requirement for these workflows.  If that is done, then on export, the values in the R,G and B channels are changed. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Affinity photo exports  those files with alpha channel just right . V2 at least.     In v1  it was also perfectly possible with a simple trick.  

The problem is not what Affinity export.    The problem is that when you open the file back to Affinity photo it multiplies black over rgb values  of  pixels having perfectly zero alpha,  Only over those ones.    End this needs to be fixed for sure. 

ps. V2  doesn't do it for exr files although.  floating point images being opened perfectly right too, without those black holes