• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that a new Customer Beta of Affinity Publisher (1.8.0.499) is now available as a download from the link above.

As this is a 'Stability and General Testing' beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the beta, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread. 

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum

Many thanks for your continued feedback.

---

StudioLink

This build of Affinity Publisher, 1.8.0 Beta, requires 1.8.0 Beta builds of Photo and Designer for StudioLink to function. We hope to make these available soon.

---

New Features and Major Improvements

Unified Applications Toolbars
Updated layout of toolbars in main application Window. (Mojave or later)

Text Editing Keys
Choose between 'Serif Defaults' or 'Apple Defaults' for text editing keys. e.g. Serif default for 'Move to Beginning of Word' is <Cmd>-<Left Arrow> whereas Apple default is <Alt>-<Left Arrow>. Available via Preferences.

Improved master page handling when adding single pages in a facing page document
Adding single pages to a facing page document with facing masters no longer shuffles master pages from left to right or vice versa.

Migrate frame contents when replacing Masters
Option to 'Clear' or 'Migrate' content when replacing a master which has modified text / image content on the target page. Available via Pages Panel 'Apply Master…' etc.

Re-order Master Spreads
Added the facility to re-order Master Spreads using drag drop in the Pages panel.

Merge Documents
Facility to merge specified pages from one document into the current document. Available via Pages Panel context menu or Document > Add Pages from File...

Linked 'Embedded Document' Resources
Better handling of Linked 'Embedded Document' resources to prevent files with such resources bloating on save.

Collect Resources
Facility to collect all up-to-date linked document resources in a single specified folder. Available via Resource Manager.

Find and Replace MRUs
MRU lists for recent Find and Replaces, available on the field drop menus on the Find and Replace Panel.

Anchor Panel
To manage Hyperlink Anchors. Access via View > Studio > Anchors.

PANTONE
Updated PANTONE Solid and Bridge Palettes for September 2019 update (Link)

Text Features
Last line outdent.
Drop Caps now let you set the number of characters dropped.
Indent to Here.
Add Right Indent Tab.

Insert from the Text Menu 
Added additional fields, plus option to show the Fields Panel.

TOC
Added option to skip line breaks in a TOC.
Added option to skip or include inline images in a TOC.

General Fixes and Minor Improvements

Open / Import
"Make a copy" and "Continue" buttons when opening a non-beta project file were reversed
Improve support for DeviceN bitmaps based on LAB colour space on PDF import

Document Management
When moving pages, transform pasteboard content so it doesn't end up on spread
Margins change with document DPI on non-master pages

General / Tools
Added option to make bleed of embedded Affinity documents visible
Strokes on master page objects now extend into the page bleed area
Setting K-Only for a missing linked image caused crash
Linked images that fail to load now fall back to previews
Fixed Populate Picture Frames across multiple artboards
Convert to Picture Frame was disabled for EPS
(Win) Create Palette from CMYK images imports as RGB
(Win) Fix for inconsistent document tabbing

Text
Can now use <Ctrl> / <Cmd> (Win / Mac) to link multiple text frames
When linking text frames stories are now concatenated
Preserve Manual Position not reflected correctly in Pinning Panel
Add special hyphenation rules for solidus (U+002F) to distinguish e.g. fractions
Changing spread / artboard in an Embedded Document now updates Text Wrap
Fixed default wrapping around Embedded Documents with transparency
Prevent table cell separators from being copied to non-tables (fix for non-deletable breaks)
Fixed auto-correct bug entering double spaces
Fixed line endings for Paragraph decorations
Now possible to remove arrowheads if inadvertently applied to Text Frame
Leading override could not be set to Auto in Text Style
Text with 'No break' did not always break before the no break
Fixed hyphenation issues in last line of column
(Mac) Missing font dropdown doesn't list missing fonts
(Win) Spell check identifies numbers mixed with other characters as incorrectly spelt

Tables
Adjusting Table properties for multiple cells fails if selected cell already has the desired property
Fixed possible crash when auto fitting table to text

Find and Replace
Fixes for skipping occurrences when replacing
Tidied up finding around end of text

Hyperlinks
Fixes for hyperlinks in Tables
Hyperlinks are no longer generated in PDF output if hidden
Fixes for Hyperlink panel not always displaying correct page of link target
Fixed hyperlink bugs when switching to / from facing pages

Glyph Browser
Glyph Browser now always renders glyphs at screen scale

DocX
Importing tables from docx files could fail to import formatting resulting in crash

Fields
Added yyyy-MM-dd date format

Resources
Linked images - Context toolbar not updated after converting to embedding
Filenames with underscores not displayed correctly in Resource Manager

Font Manager
Font Manager 'Locate' did not locate full runs

Export / Print
Prevent spurious warnings about overflow text in text frames that won't be output anyhow
Overprint Black now only sets to overprint if tint set to 100%
Fix for "Rasterise nothing" was causing PDF export failure in certain circumstances
(Win) Print dialog wasn't always removing the red overlay after page had been scaled to fit

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Me again ... just started the beta and noticed that the main toolbar has significantly smaller icons than the release version.
Is there a way to enlarge them and make them the same size as before? I have a 27" screen and there's plenty of room for bigger icons ...

A fair number of small but important improvements, including some that I'm quite sure were not small amounts of work to implement.

Looks like there is no sign yet of global layers or of the layer tagging feature I had suggested, hoping at least one of those comes in 1.8 as this is evidently a major issue for a lot of users...  global layers ideally but the tagging feature would get us at least part way there and I'm guessing it would be less work to implement.

Also no indication of conditional formatting (regex styles) or prepress features / color separations yet...

Wondering if the issue of the wrong global color being selected in the swatches palette has been addressed yet...  will be curious to look into that when I get a chance to work on this, hopefully later today.

I don’t see much difference. Sure, the Persona icons are a little closer to each other, but I would almost guess this is a UI bug. I am sure the background well cannot be displayed properly, when the Photo or the Designer Persona is activated. Is that what it should look like? :/

TB.thumb.png.c515631bbdf1e857aecd4dded4477283.png

19 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Apologies, Unified Toolbar feature should have been flagged as Mojave or newer.

For those of us not (yet) running Mojave or newer could you explain what this change does differently from the 1.7.3 retail version? "Unified" in what way?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

For those of us not (yet) running Mojave or newer could you explain what this change does differently from the 1.7.3 retail version? "Unified" in what way?

The main toolbar and title bar are integrated. The general appearance is quite different. There is no fundamental change in functionality, however.

I see... I'll need to try it out on my MBP at some point.  That is running Mojave.

12 hours ago, AdamW said:

Choose between 'Serif Defaults' or 'Apple Defaults' for text editing keys. e.g. Serif default for 'Move to Beginning of Word' is <Cmd>-<Left Arrow> whereas Apple default is <Alt>-<Left Arrow>. Available via Preferences.

I looked through all the preference panes and can't seem to find this option.  Where am I missing it?

• Staff
5 hours ago, fde101 said:

I looked through all the preference panes and can't seem to find this option.  Where am I missing it?

Hopefully you'll find Text Editing Keys can be set up via Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts and then in the second popup, under 'Text Input'.

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Does anyone have a screenshot of the Mojave toolbars? Just curious … :ph34r:

I would like to see that too!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

26 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Is it „expected behaviour“, that the beta download lasts for ages? (Tested my 100 mbit internet connection, and all works fine)

The download speed for me was normal -- around 2 minutes on my ~350+ Mbps connection -- but the verification process took much longer than I expected, something like 10 minutes.

Affinity Photo