You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why Affinity on Linux Makes Sense - and how it could be soft-launched.

I fully understand the complexity of porting to Linux - you need to support various distros, and tech support could be challenging with so many variables - distroes, DEs, kernels, etc... 

I think that Ubuntu 20.04 LTS represents an excellent opportunity to create for an OS that will have a guaranteed 5 years of support, and which will form the base for distros such as Pop OS and Mint. It is not perfect, but likely an easier way to segue into the Linux World.

But why would you want this on Linux? Or why would a user?

Because, we want a stable, secure, high performing Affinity environment. This isn't about Windows, MacOS or even Linux, it is about your product. Think about the rise of apps. No one really cares if they are Android or iOS - they want a great, focused experienced. I want to use the Affinity Suite without distractions. I want Affinity more than I want any OS. I want to use your product effectively, efficiently, and without headaches.

So why Linux? Because it is the lesser of 3 evils. I do not want the distraction of Windows update, pop ups, ads in my start menu (!), I want to work. I do not want to live in front of my computer, waiting for an update that cripples 800 million workstations, or that kills my performance, or takes away features. On top of that, I do not want the added support/license costs, and security issues. While macOS solves many of these issues, cost is certainly a factor. It becomes very difficult for a small studio or publisher (such as myself) to roll out multiple macOS workstartions. Especially when all I want is a web browser, google docs and Affinity.

I think that I am not alone; people may not necessarily be after a catch all linux port, but rather a better Affinity experience, that doesn't come with strings attached because of the underlying OS.   

Look at what Steam did - they went as far as creating their own Linux distro. Do not be surprised if Adobe does the same down the road - an Ubuntu LTS based iso that boots into a barebones desktop optimized for their suite or products - essentially an App type experience on the desktop.

That is not to say you need to go down this road, but supporting one distro (such as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), with an experience maximized for your products is in users' best interest. While it is easy to underestimate the interest in Linux, I would not underestimate interest for Affinity focused workstations. 

I am glad to discuss this further, and I am sure that many other Affinity users are as well.

• 10 months later...

If you want a no-nonsense experience, Ubuntu is probably the last distro I would consider. Sure its install base is large, it also comes with a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff, and, while its userbase is large, they're not as savvy, so, more tech support issues from users who just don't know what they're doing in general.

The play is to go with something more vanilla, like debian, or, something with a better userbase, like manjaro. Focusing on a single distro is a good move from a development standpoint, especially if you can open source a good portion of the code and let the community fix stuff when it breaks. Obviously all of the imaging algos would have to remain closed source, but, no reason things like gui/localization can't be supported directly by the community.

When the idea of supporting linux was brought up, it was suggested that it'd be $500k USD to develop. This was years ago, and, that seems like a high estimate either way, but, I do wish they'd consider that there will probably be a point when they can't afford not to develop a linux version. I'd guess that adobe has plans to do so, and many companies are moving away from microsoft, and those that aren't have two hangups, adobe and microsoft office. With office documents being well supported with online services now, and it's only a matter of time before O365 is 100% a web app, the real hangup is adobe products.
Being that adobe is something of a leviathan, they can't pivot like affinity can pivot, so, at the moment, affinity is uniquely poised to get ahead of the curve. If the real cost is $500k USD, that's only 10,000 installs, which given that adobe has ~300 million users onboarded into creative cloud, and with the growth of linux OS's, it really does make sense that they'd pull the trigger on this.

My worry is that they won't port it over to linux, adobe will, and they'll steadily lose market share until they're just another "remember that app, it was cool, back in the day" story. 

• Staff

@jtriangle

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I suggest this long standing topic has covered most opinions on this,...

so I am locking this thread 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon