You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Impractical auto-correction list behaviour

This is quite probably by design, but I still call it a bug, because it represents a painful user interface: Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (Windows) is loaded with a long table of words to auto-correct in various languages. A few 'words' are useful, like '(c)', '1/2' or 'mm2', but the overwhelming majority is rather useless. Trying to auto-correct every typo that might possibly happen is not such a good idea. Therefore, I want to get rid of 95% of that list. Unfortunately,

1. it's impossible to select more than one entry at the same time,
  2. neither the Add nor the Delete button seems to have any keyboard shortcut, and
  3. after selecting an entry by clicking on it, and clicking Delete, the selection does not move up or down, but just disappears.

This means that I have to click hundreds of times to get rid of most of that list. It would be much nicer if the above three things were implemented (multi-selection, button shortcuts, selection moving). Additionally, the same behaviour could be implemented for the other lists of the Settings dialog (abbreviations, title exceptions).

Andreas Weidner

On 10/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, anweid said:

Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (Windows) is loaded with a long table of words to auto-correct in various languages.

That is an interesting discrepancy from what I am seeing on Mac Publisher 1.7.3. I do not have any autocorrect entries in mine, and I don't think any were presupplied. I wonder why the difference between Mac and Windows in this case.

2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

That is an interesting discrepancy from what I am seeing on Mac Publisher 1.7.3. I do not have any autocorrect entries in mine, and I don't think any were presupplied. I wonder why the difference between Mac and Windows in this case.

For English, on Windows, Publisher 1.7.3 (and earlier) have always had a long auto-correct list, starting like this:

image.png.ae1cbba2dd71139f791ed1e46d5f242c.png

You have none on Mac?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You have none on Mac?

I don't have any for either English or French, the only two languages I have activated. I can't tell whether I deleted them and forgot (though I doubt I would go through the long process that anweid describes) or whether it just never was there.

3 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

I don't have any for either English or French, the only two languages I have activated. I can't tell whether I deleted them and forgot (though I doubt I would go through the long process that anweid describes) or whether it just never was there.

Strange.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I wonder if the lack of auto-correct entries on Mac is a bug?

-- Walt
PC:

On 11/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, garrettm30 said:

On PC I had to install a dictionary to make auto correct work. My language isn't supported out of the box.

You also have to activate this feature.

In order to make it work, check the box in edit-preferences-auto-correct for "replace text while typing".

Then activate it under Text-spelling-"replace text while typing".

My dictionary is working perfectly while typing but under preferences - auto-correct I also don't have a list like seen above.