You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Size Limits -- Documents App.

When I am finished editing a tiff photo in Affinity Photo and go to save it to Documents as a full .tif file at around 50M file size, the app appears to save it, but, will not, then, open it or show a thumbnail of it. But, saving it as a jpeg of around 16M works flawlessly.

My question is, is this because the Documents ap (Readdle) has a size limit somewhere between the two? 

Sid007

iPad Pro 12.9”, iPad OS 13.2.3, Affinity Photo, ProCamera.

3 hours ago, Sid007 said:

Hey, DM1, what's your take on this? Please!

Not seeing that issue on my iPad. Just tested with an 80mb tiff file. Tiffs don’t show a thumbnail but do open when tapped. 

6F94EEEC-DA91-4753-B43F-04B6443B0F42.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi Sid007 :)

This isn't something I've heard happening before, my apologies!

If possible, could you please provide a copy of the .afphoto file and a screenshot of your TIFF export settings?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

DM1 and Dan, I have yet to figure out (newb here) how to attach an actual image file — unless you might be referring to the image, itself, which would be a relative no brainer. OK, so, just in case, I will go ahead and attach the image and hope that it will help you help me.

As an aside, this iPad Pro has just recently become very slow for some reason that I am working to resolve. It is my “main” iPad that gets the most use, which is, no doubt contributing to the problem.

P.S.

Still not able to even attach a reduced res tiff of the file! But, continuing to work on it.

PNG image.png

Sid007

3 hours ago, Sid007 said:

how to attach an actual image file

Dan was referring to the .afphoto file. In Documents menu, tap Save a Copy. This creates an actual file, otherwise it’s just a project stored in iOS apps Sandbox and inaccessible other than through the app. It’s always best to save a copy for backup purposes. You can also save from Project screen using the hamburger menu, tap save. This saves the file to the 'default' save setting. The first method allows you to 'select' any storage location.

Re the Export setting. Try turning off the Save Affinity Layers option.

Re the slow down. Have you tried a reset. Hold the power button in until you see the Slide to turn off. This method frees up ram held by other apps.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 10/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, Dan C said:

Hi Sid007 :)

This isn't something I've heard happening before, my apologies!

If possible, could you please provide a copy of the .afphoto file and a screenshot of your TIFF export settings?

Thanks for responding, Dan. Here’s a screenshot of the export settings, but, I haven’t figured out how to send the actual image file. If, and when I do, I will attach it to this post.

DM1, is this screenshot helpful? 

Water_Buffalo_-_S._Africa.afphoto

Sid007

Dan and DM1, finally managed to get the correct file posted (please see afphoto at end of my post to Dan, immediately above). Many thanks, DM1 1, for the guidance on this. 

And,  thanks to both of you for your great patience.

Edited by Sid007
Needed to add content

Sid007

• Staff

Thanks for your file Sid, I've downloaded it and tried opening it on both the desktop and iPad and I'm receiving an error message, usually indicating the file is corrupt - but this could have happened in the upload/download to the forums. Could you please try uploading the same file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/XkVrflsqxsrgW5x2zAsC

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hey, Dan, I just uploaded the afphoto file (the date in Texas is November 1st and the time is 6:20 p.m.). We don’t switch to DST until this Sunday night.

Sid007

On 11/1/2019 at 9:21 AM, DM1 said:

Re the Export setting. Try turning off the Save Affinity Layers option.

Hi Sid, did you try turning off the Save Affinity Layers option on the Export screen? To be honest I'm not sure what it does (Dan?) but my 80mb export had it off in default export settings.

5 hours ago, DM1 said:

Hi Sid, did you try turning off the Save Affinity Layers option on the Export screen? To be honest I'm not sure what it does (Dan?) but my 80mb export had it off in default export settings.

Yeah, DM1, I'm sure I did turn off the Affinity Layers option because I wanted to follow your earlier suggestion to do so. 

Sid007

Well, fellas, my entire quandary may be caused by my iPad Pro’s ever worsening ability to send and receive internet activity. Internet connections are now so poor that it is only with the very most patience that I am able to use that tablet at all for anything but local stuff. I have applied all the classic fixes to no avail whatsoever. After I post this I will be looking at what I can expect from a system reset. Very annoying!

Sid007

2 hours ago, Sid007 said:

my iPad Pro’s ever worsening ability to send and receive internet activity.

That’s not good. Internet shouldn’t effect exporting from affinity to local iPad though. What model iPad and what iOS version?

• Staff

Thanks for your file Sid, I've opened this in AP and exported it to TIFF (with 'Save Affinity layers' unchecked) - I exported the image both to Files and directly to the Photo library. In both instances the file appears correctly, can be previewed and reopens in Affinity Photo when selected.

It certainly sounds as though this could be a local issue with your iPad, but as DM1 has mentioned your internet connection specifically shouldn't affect this.

I'd like to try and replicate this, so your iPad model and iOS version would be useful information here.

@DM1 'Save Affinity Layers' embeds the Affinity layers with the TIFF file, meaning you can reopen the image in any Affinity app and your layers will be retained. This functionality was made popular in PhotoShop and leads a few customers to believe that TIFFs are layered files, which isn't the case as the image simply has additional metadata which can be used to recreate the layers.

Please note -

Many thanks!

9 hours ago, DM1 said:

That’s not good. Internet shouldn’t effect exporting from affinity to local iPad though. What model iPad and what iOS version?

Thanx, guys! Always enlightening to hear your thoughts and suggestions. 

It is a 10,5” Model MPDY2LL/A with the serial number DMPTVD3UHP50. It has a 256 gig storage capacity. The problem first appeared  at, or near, the updating of both iPads to IOS v.13.1.3. A couple of days ago I updated the Pro to v. 13.2 with no improvement. Later that day I reinstalled the update a second time with no change.

Dan, glad to hear that the file finally transferred properly. 

My iPad issue surely seems local to that particular one. Both it and the iPad I am typing this on were purchased simultaneously about two years ago. This one is the same, but is the non-Pro version. This non-Pro has no issues. Nor does a Windows 10 laptop. All three are located at the same point relative to the router (in an adjacent room). I even placed the Pro right next to the router and it still either times out or takes about ten times longer to complete a wifi task. Most often it just times out before a connection is completed.

Again, thanks, guys, for your feedback and insights. I keep gleaning new ideas from your comments and info that help to clear the fog.

P.S.

The Pro seems entirely normal in all tasks other than wifi.

Sid007

I just revisited this entire exchange and there’s a possible issue that I want to shed more light on.

The iPad Pro (Affinity) appears to have no issue regarding local storage of AP files (as in the Documents App on that IPad). 

Sid007