You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add option to allow for TOC with Page #s only

It would be helpful if we could have the option to have a TOC field be composed of the associated page numbers without the accompanying text. This would allow us to have a TOC field that is only the numbers which could be formatted a different way from the associated heading text but it could be updated without the need to reformat any style.

This would be useful for TOC that need to have the page numbers a different style than the heading text. We could simply have a field for the #s and one for the text and then update both of the fields and everything would be good to go. As of now after an update of the field we need to go in and change all of the numbers to the desired style every time.

Hope that makes sense! If there is an easy way to accomplish this now that I'm missing I'd love to learn.

Thanks,

Jeff

The numbers have their own style, by default TOC 1: Heading 1 Number and TOC 1: Heading 2 Number.

Just update the text style and it's taken care of no matter how many times you update the ToC.

If you've used different TOC styles, you'll have different text styles for your numbers, but the same approach applies. Update the text style once, and you're done.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Pixel and Poly said:

Hope that makes sense! If there is an easy way to accomplish this now that I'm missing I'd love to learn.

The numbers have their own style, by default TOC 1: Heading 1 Number and TOC 1: Heading 2 Number.

Just update the text style and it's taken care of no matter how many times you update the ToC.

If you've used different TOC styles, you'll have different text styles for your numbers, but the same approach applies. Update the text style once, and you're done.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks Walt. I was able to update those styles and it updates now without resetting the type formatting.

I have it displaying like this>  <tab>page#<tab>heading

Do you happen to know if there is any way to have a tab inserted before the numbers automatically? Every time I update the TOC the tab that I manually insert before the page # goes away and I cannot see a way to have it set up to have the first tab in the settings. I see how we can insert tabs or other elements between #s and headings but not before.

Thanks for you assistance!

Jeff

2 hours ago, Pixel and Poly said:

Do you happen to know if there is any way to have a tab inserted before the numbers automatically? Every time I update the TOC the tab that I manually insert before the page # goes away and I cannot see a way to have it set up to have the first tab in the settings. I see how we can insert tabs or other elements between #s and headings but not before.

I'm not sure. Can you provide a sample file with a TOC setup as you have it now? I'll take a look and see if I can figure out something.

-- Walt
PC:

On 10/30/2019 at 2:59 PM, Pixel and Poly said:

Sure, here's a small example that I put together that shows what I'm trying to accomplish and what happens after an update.

Thanks for the sample.

Sorry, I don't see any way to have a tab before the numbers automatically when you tell Publisher to put the numbers before the text of the TOC entries.

-- Walt
PC:

On 10/30/2019 at 7:59 PM, Pixel and Poly said:

Sure, here's a small example that I put together that shows what I'm trying to accomplish and what happens after an update.

Thank you!

Jeff

sample-toc.afpub

Hello @Pixel and Poly,

out of interest I downloaded the sample file, to look at it. I opened it in the latest Beta version of APub (1.8.0.499). When double clicking on the text style 'TOC 1: Heading 1' APub immediately crashes.

Question: did you save this file from the release version of APub? And, can anyone try to reproduce this with the latest Beta version?
Perhaps this can help to find a bug to report.

Sorry for not contributing to your original question. I hope in order to improve APub this is OK.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, dominik said:

Question: did you save this file from the release version of APub? And, can anyone try to reproduce this with the latest Beta version?

Whenever I open that file in the beta I get this warning, dominik:

image.png.fb529c90d1ba64a50aa3f9236325c8a9.png

And for completeness here, I reported the crash as a bug yesterday:

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, dominik said:

Hello @Pixel and Poly,

out of interest I downloaded the sample file, to look at it. I opened it in the latest Beta version of APub (1.8.0.499). When double clicking on the text style 'TOC 1: Heading 1' APub immediately crashes.

Sorry for not contributing to your original question. I hope in order to improve APub this is OK.

d.

Hi @dominik , yes this was created in the latest full release. Not a beta. It's fine about posting/asking about that here. :) We all want a bug free application.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, walt.farrell said:

Thanks for the sample.

Sorry, I don't see any way to have a tab before the numbers automatically when you tell Publisher to put the numbers before the text of the TOC entries.

Thanks for looking into it for me. I guess my request for having ONLY the numbers appear would still apply as it would open up some options for us.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 4:28 PM, Pixel and Poly said:

I'd be sooo for it. <tab>page #<tab>heading. That would make perfect sense if you have the numbers before the headings, and want to right-align those numbers, which you can't do without a tab. Also, it would be cool if you one could "pad" the numbers via the paragraph style, so that all numbers are shown with 3 digits, even the single or double page numbers.

Cheers,

Helmar