You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i do gradient beetween 0,0,0 and 0,0,1 (rgb values) suprising things?

i do gradient beetween 0,0,0 and 0,0,1 (rgb values) suprising things? i flatten such box (which is whole document)
and i dont use nosie setting. and after this enchament and  auto contrast makes stuff other side is yellow (255,255,0) and another is white. and there in beetween parts noise. imagined i get only two diffeent coloured bars not like this. i dont know if this what i should expect.

suprise.png

• Staff

Hi MxHeppa :)

My apologies, I'm struggling to follow the workflow you've described. Could you please provide a screen recording showing the steps you've taken? As a gradient using your RGB values would be black fading to blue (assuming 1=255).

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 10/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, Dan C said:

My apologies, I'm struggling to follow the workflow you've described. Could you please provide a screen recording showing the steps you've taken? As a gradient using your RGB values would be black fading to blue (assuming 1=255).

1 is 1. i mean two colours what nearest possible in 8bit rgb values. there is no inbeetween colours for these two. i dont know how do screen recording (windows 10 pro).

On 10/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, Dan C said:

my gradient is beetween black and almost black blue.(one set blue direction).

• Staff

I'm sorry, I'm still not sure what colour values you're using. A gradient with RGB 0,0,0 to RGB 0,0,1 would be black fading to a slightly lighter black (which is almost inconceivably different).

If your values are RBG 0,0,0 to RGB 0,0,100 then you would see a gradient as follows - 

image.png

Is this the gradient (or similar) that you're starting with?

I've made a quick screen recording following the workflow you've described - are these the steps you're taking?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Don't do the Auto Levels first, just the Auto Contrast after flattening, and yes use the 000, 000, 001 and 000, 000, 000 for the colour stops.

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

Is this the gradient (or similar) that you're starting with?

I've made a quick screen recording following the workflow you've described - are these the steps you're taking?

Wow, I have been messing about just guessing at what could do this. And then I re-read the original post more closely and yes, the recipe does do this. A gradient from almost pure black, just a 001 value for the blue, to pure black will result in the yellow to white when the Auto Contrast is used. I would like to see the algorithm used for the Auto Contrast which results in this.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:24 AM, MxHeppa said:

i do gradient beetween 0,0,0 and 0,0,1 (rgb values) suprising things? i flatten such box (which is whole document)
and i dont use nosie setting. and after this enchament and  auto contrast makes stuff other side is yellow (255,255,0) and another is white. and there in beetween parts noise. imagined i get only two diffeent coloured bars not like this. i dont know if this what i should expect.

suprise.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Thanks Bruce, I too have found this causes strange results - selecting Auto Contrast again from the white/yellow image changes this to black/blue!

48652c48c73e0e30c4d036c11577c814.gif

I've logged this with our developers and will provide any updates here as available.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:43 AM, Old Bruce said:

I would like to see the algorithm used for the Auto Contrast which results in this.

Unfortunately I don't believe this is something I can share publicly - however if given permission I will post as much information here as possible.

Please note -

Many thanks!

I am only curious as to why there is not a clean break from the yellow to the white when starting with  a gradient from 0, 0, 1 to 0, 0, 0. My intuition says there should be a clean break, I am quite often very wrong.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

40 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I am only curious as to why there is not a clean break from the yellow to the white when starting with  a gradient from 0, 0, 1 to 0, 0, 0. My intuition says there should be a clean break, I am quite often very wrong.

I imagine this is a dithering algorithm making a blend between two values that won't interpolate further?

• Staff

The 'dither gradients' option relates to how live gradients are drawn, once the gradient has been rasterised this setting is no longer in effect, so I don't believe this is related to the issue here.

Please note -

Many thanks!