You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher – Text Frame – Double-click left-/right-centre adjustment handle may resize frame width – What’s the criteria?

Apologies for the title of the thread, I tried to be succinct.

Double-clicking the bottom-centre adjustment handle of a text frame shrinks the frame to the size of the visible text by adjusting the height while keeping the top of the frame where it is. This is a documented function.
Double-clicking the top-centre adjustment handle does similar but keeps the bottom of the frame where it is. As far as I can tell, this is an undocumented function.

That’s fine, but, as part of a discussion here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/100879-resize-text-frame-to-fit-copy-within/ I found that double-clicking the left-centre or right-centre adjustment handle of a text frame sometimes resizes the width of the frame. However, I couldn’t figure out what the resize criteria was. In other words, I don’t know how Publisher calculates the new frame width.

See my GIF in the linked thread for an example of each.

Does anyone know how the new frame width is calculated?

I think you’re on the right track.
After a bit more experimentation it looks like:
* With a text frame that has overflowing text, double-clicking either the left-centre or right-centre adjustment handle increases the width of the frame so that it accommodates all of the text that is in that frame (not just the visible text) without increasing the height;
* With a text frame that has space at the bottom, double-clicking either the left-centre or right-centre adjustment handle decreases the width of the frame until the frame is full of text with no space, without decreasing the height.
Both sound like useful functions but I think they need to be documented properly.

• Staff
19 hours ago, GarryP said:

Both sound like useful functions but I think they need to be documented properly.

I agree, they do need to be documented.  It seems to be making the frame as small as it can be (width wise) whilst still being able to fit in all the currently visible text.  If you have any overflowing text that is visible, the frame will be increased to fit this text in.  If the overflow text is hidden then it will only increase the frame size for the viewable text