You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Ruler not showing

RenWaller

It's only present when you have a Text Frame active for editing, I believe.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi RenWaller. Unfortunately it is a mistake that I have already checked. If you want the text rules to appear you have to exit Affinity Publisher and reopen it. Then you will see the text rules reappear.
The same will happen when you use the tables tool, sometimes the number of columns and rows you can define appears and sometimes not, even if you are editing the table. And in this case it is even worse, because you can close the program, open it again and check that the problem persists.

4 minutes ago, Vicente Bermúdez said:

the option to hide and show text rules again does not work.

You are in Preview mode. Try turning that off.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I've raised this a few times

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

9 minutes ago, Vicente Bermúdez said:

I have already tried to change the preview mode and the result is the same.

I spoke too soon, I find that the Text Ruler shows up here for me whether Preview is on or off. So my advice and news doesn't help you at all, sorry about that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I spoke too soon, I find that the Text Ruler shows up here for me whether Preview is on or off. So my advice and news doesn't help you at all, sorry about that.

No, you do very well in making suggestions; you have to explore all the possibilities. The first time I did it, I found that it was the solution, but the error had not yet occurred. Anyway I am sure that they should already be preparing the patch for that error. You waste a lot of time restarting the application. And the worst is when you have many documents open at the same time.

FWIW, I am seeing the same thing: sometimes the text ruler appears & other times not. When it does not, only restarting the app fixes it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, I am seeing the same thing: sometimes the text ruler appears & other times not. When it does not, only restarting the app fixes it.

This text ruler problem has been randomly recurring since last year when we were in the initial betas.   It happens here too, on a purely random basis.  Recently less frequently, but still the only solution I have found is to save and  close the document, then open again.  Usually that solves the problem without having to restart the app.  No matter what, it is a little unnerving.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

40 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Recently less frequently, but still the only solution I have found is to save and  close the document, then open again.  Usually that solves the problem without having to restart the app.

Thanks! The next time I don't see the text ruler appearing when it should, I will give that a try.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

This text ruler problem has been randomly recurring since last year when we were in the initial betas.   It happens here too, on a purely random basis.  Recently less frequently, but still the only solution I have found is to save and  close the document, then open again.  Usually that solves the problem without having to restart the app.  No matter what, it is a little unnerving.

If closing the document works, it will prevent me from having to close other documents. I will wait for the error to reappear. Thank you.

• 9 months later...

Just happened again yesterday.  With the Text Frame tool, in Publisher, with Show Text Ruler checked, dragged a text frame on the canvas.  Ruler turned up properly.  Typed some text.  Changed  from the Text Frame tool to the Move tool and placed an image.  Naturally the ruler disappeared from the top of the text frame.  Selected the Text Frame Tool again and dragged out a new text frame on the same canvas.    No ruler.  Clicked on and off several times, using both the icon on the Context Toolbar and then VIEW>Show Text Ruler (which was still checked the first time I tried that route).   Went back to the initial text frame and with the Text Frame tool, clicked inside it.  No ruler.  So just as I had to do back in November 2019, I had to close the document and open it again to get a text ruler.   There is something strange going on which has still not been rooted out.  Although I must confess that I have not tried with v. 1.8.4.   I am still waiting to see whether that version is going smoothly for others before I take the leap of faith when v. 1.8.3 has been — otherwise — so lovely to work with.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Just happened again yesterday.  With the Text Frame tool, in Publisher, with Show Text Ruler checked, dragged a text frame on the canvas.  Ruler turned up properly.  Typed some text.  Changed  from the Text Frame tool to the Move tool and placed an image.  Naturally the ruler disappeared from the top of the text frame.  Selected the Text Frame Tool again and dragged out a new text frame on the same canvas.    No ruler.  Clicked on and off several times, using both the icon on the Context Toolbar and then VIEW>Show Text Ruler (which was still checked the first time I tried that route).   Went back to the initial text frame and with the Text Frame tool, clicked inside it.  No ruler.  So just as I had to do back in November 2019, I had to close the document and open it again to get a text ruler.   There is something strange going on which has still not been rooted out.  Although I must confess that I have not tried with v. 1.8.4.   I am still waiting to see whether that version is going smoothly for others before I take the leap of faith when v. 1.8.3 has been — otherwise — so lovely to work with.

Serif has not participated in this topic, and is not Following the topic, and it does not have a tag giving a bug number (though that does not always happen).

As this topic is in an archived part of the forums, my recommendation is that rather than continuing here, you re-post, as a new topic, in the current Bugs forum. That will help ensure that it is properly logged and tracked by Serif.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Serif has not participated in this topic, and is not Following the topic, and it does not have a tag giving a bug number (though that does not always happen).

As this topic is in an archived part of the forums, my recommendation is that rather than continuing here, you re-post, as a new topic, in the current Bugs forum. That will help ensure that it is properly logged and tracked by Serif.

I figured this out myself and posted in the current Bugs forum.   Thanks anyway.