You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selected object boundary frame - can it be disbaled?

As title says - when object is selected, then it's boundaries are highlighted with blue outline. But sometimes, especially when working with small objects or fine outlines it's impossible to see what's going on. Is there a way to disable it, so selected object is indicated only by handles? If not can you make it a feature request?

This sounds like a good idea to me.
We can already disable the bounding box (and handles) when a layer is being moved – e.g. Hide Selection while Dragging – but it would be nice to be able to also have the bounding box disabled when the layer is not being moved. It would, as you say, be very useful when editing small objects or when you need to see changes to the outline of a shape. The handles still need to be visible but the outline can sometimes get in the way.
An extra toggle button on the various Context Toolbars, next to “Hide Selection while Dragging”, called something like “Hide Selection Bounding Box” would do it for me.
I think it might be good if you add this as a feature request in the relevant forum section – linked to this thread – so the developers can see it more easily (they don’t always look in here).

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

An extra toggle button on the various Context Toolbars, next to “Hide Selection while Dragging”, called something like “Hide Selection Bounding Box” would do it for me.

Since the option to ‘Hide Selection While Dragging’ hides not only the bounding box but also the adjustment handles, I think the label for an option to hide the bounding box at other times would need to be explicit about the fact that the adjustment handles are unaffected. Something like ‘Hide Selection Bounding Box Lines’ should suffice, perhaps even without the word ‘Box’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I see the bounding box (the blue outline) and the adjustment handles (the circles) as separate things anyway so that’s not an issue for me but as long as the wording is clear as to what’s going on then I have no problem. “Hide Selection Bounds” would also seem fine to me but I don’t know how well that would translate out of English.
Just in case anyone doesn’t know what the problem is, I’ve added an image showing two identical shapes. The one on the right is selected and you can see how it would be difficult to see changes to the corners or the outline. (In this case the adjustment handles also get in the way a bit but that probably can’t be helped.)

Annotation 2019-10-28 092503.png

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

(In this case the adjustment handles also get in the way a bit but that probably can’t be helped.)

the handles can be made smaller in preferences>tools>tool handle size

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Thanks for pointing that out dutchshader, I completely forgot about that setting.
As far as I can tell, setting them to even the smallest size doesn’t affect the distance the mouse pointer needs to be away from them to ‘activate’ them so making them smaller seems to have no appreciable negative effect on usability.
By way of an experiment, I’ve just set all of my Affinity apps to use the “Smallest” setting and will see how I get on. (I think they look ‘more professional’ at the smallest size but maybe that’s just me.)
Attached, for comparison, is the same sort of thing as my previous image but with the “Smallest” tool handle size.

Annotation 2019-10-28 094712.png

allso you can move a object with the arrow keys while holding space.

nudge distance can be set in preferences tools.

arrows + space for small movements, arrows + shift and space for larger movements.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma