You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Subtracting shapes/curves from bitmap filled shapes leads to unexpected result

Eddy-2

I don't know if this is part of the same problem:

In PagePlus, I insert a picture and convert it to curves.
I add a quick-shape rectangle so that it partially covers the picture.
I select both objects and use Join Outlines > Subtract.
The rectangle cuts out part of the picture but the rest of the picture remains visible.

If I do something similar in Design or Publisher, the picture gets cut out but what's left turns black.

cutout.jpg

• Staff

Hi Eddy-2,
I've split your post from the original thread where it was since this refers to a different issue. I'm suspecting the image didn't turn black (it has some blacks parts) but its fill attributes changed after the boolean operation. The fill handles that appear when you switch to the Fill Tool and usually appear over the image/object are now located elsewhere on canvas - most likely on the top left of the canvas area (if you zoom out enough you should see them) - leading to the unexpected result. If you move them back again over the image and readjust as needed you should see the image is still there. I'm logging this to be looked at. Thanks for your report.