You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is the Mac App Store showing "Install" in Purchased tab for Affinity apps already installed?

As the title says, much to my surprise when I opened the Mac App Store app on my iMac, clicked on the "Purchased" tab, & signed in, on the purchased list both Designer & Photo had "Install" buttons rather than "Open" ones like for all the other apps I had purchased from that store.

Both apps were purchased from the MAS, both are version 1.7.3, & both have never been moved from their original install location in the root level of the Applications folder.

Experimentally, I went ahead & clicked the "Install" button for Designer & it did indeed download & install 1.7.3, overwriting the original (same version) copy already existent in the root level of the Applications folder. It opens fine, none of my UI customizations have been altered, all my assets & other presets are still there, & so on.

At this point, if I go to the Affinity Photo store page, I see this:

1346749431_APhotoMASpage.jpg.61c32e5b1e82d1c067b5c2cb6fbf7977.jpg

... so the MAS still thinks Affinity Photo is not installed.

Has anybody else seen this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've had that before and worse, where the Apple install system decided I didn't have the right to install updates, for certain apps, even though in the receipts section I'd clearly purchased them.The joys of the Apple all in one eco system eh? Your issue may well resolve itself, mine did a few times. Otherwise you'll have to contact Apple as Affinity won't have any control over Apple's store.

2 minutes ago, Ash Eldritch said:

I've had that before and worse, where the Apple install system decided I didn't have the right to install updates, for certain apps, even though in the receipts section I'd clearly purchased them.

At one point after quitting & relaunching the MAS app, when I went to the Affinity Photo page shown above, instead of "Install" I saw the $49.95 price, but after switching to any of the tabs & then back to that page, it said "Install" again, so that seemed to be just a temporary glitch at Apple's end.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, DWright said:

Hi @R C-R,

The AppStore may be showing an old screen cache on the product page If you go to your AppStore account in the Purchased list are the Affinity apps showing the cloud icon or the open button

On the My Purchases > Purchased list they were both showing "Install," but there are no cloud icons on the list, nor have there ever been that I remember ever seeing on that list. I thought the cloud icons only showed up for purchases others in my family sharing group had purchased that were not installed on my Mac (of which there are none because I have purchased everything we use from the MAS on my iMac).

Basically, the MAS is acting flaky in several respects. At least one other app has the wrong button, but it (the Photos EXIF Editor app) was is showing "Install" when it should have been showing "Update" because I had version 2.1.1 installed & the current version is 2.1.2. But even after 'installing' it so it is now at 2.1.2, the button still shows "Install."

The list is also showing "Update" buttons for Pages, Keynote, & Numbers, which is wrong because I am still running High Sierra & the updates are incompatible with that macOS version.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, DWright said:

It may be worth asking this question on the Apple Support Community  i have seen reports of the store showing an app is installed when it is not but not the one that you are getting.

I may end up doing that but for now I am just going to wait & see if it sorts itself out at Apple's end. If that does not happen even after the MAS 1.8 updates become available, I probably will contact Apple via the iTunes support page at https://support.apple.com/itunes.

FWIW, the App Store icon on my Dock does not have a red circle with a number in it, the usual 'badge' that is displayed when updates are available, so for now I'm just going to ignore the incorrect info on the MAS app Purchases page.

Affinity Photo 

I noticed that too.
It might be the newer version that was not shown as an update.
Before I noticed it I was running Aph version 1.7.2
When I clicked the install button on my purchased app page it installed version 1.7.3

Not 100% certain of this but since it did not charge me for the installation I am guessing it was an update to the newer version.

1 hour ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

noticed that too.
It might be the newer version that was not shown as an update.

As I said in my first post, both Designer & Photo were already updated to 1.7.3, the newest retail versions currently available. Since you were running Affinity Photo version 1.7.2, on the "Updates" tab you should have seen Affinity Photo listed with an "Update" button next to it, but I don't see that because it already was updated to 1.7.3, installed on October 1st of this year & shown as such in that tab.

The same is true for Affinity Designer: on the "Updates" tab for me it also shows I installed the 1.7.3 update for it on October 1st.

It is only on the "Purchased" tab that Affinity Photo shows the "Install" button for me.

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

As I said in my first post, both Designer & Photo were already updated to 1.7.3, the newest retail versions currently available. Since you were running Affinity Photo version 1.7.2, on the "Updates" tab you should have seen Affinity Photo listed with an "Update" button next to it, but I don't see that because it already was updated to 1.7.3, installed on October 1st of this year & shown as such in that tab.

The same is true for Affinity Designer: on the "Updates" tab for me it also shows I installed the 1.7.3 update for it on October 1st.

It is only on the "Purchased" tab that Affinity Photo shows the "Install" button for me.

It never showed in the updates tab.
I check the App Store once a month for any updates for my Mac, which I get from time to time such as security updates and Safari updates.
But APh 1.7.2 was the last one to show up as an update.
It was only when I went to the "Purchased Apps" tab that it showed up with the button to the right prompting me to install it.
When I clicked the install button it downloaded and installed and then when I reopened it that's when it said version 1.7.3