You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Affinity files from Files app in iPad is terrible

Opening an Affinity file on iPad is the worst thing I have ever seen

Open button just bring a quicklook view where you cannot ever zoom

The contextual or share button have the option of opening with several apps except the affinity ones

I just discovered hat dragging the file on the side opens with Affinity App, but you can't choose Designer or Photo

Can you please fix this and at least add Affinity Apps to the contextual menu?

Thank you

Amedeo

• Staff

Hi Amedeo,

Unfortunately there has been a change with iPadOS 13 that has caused Affinity files to stop being opened in the correct application. This is something that is logged with development to be investigated. In the meantime you can either use the Open/Import from Cloud options within Affinity to access the Files app and select your file. Alternatively you can drag and drop them by using one finger to hold the drag, and another to return to the home screen and load the selected app. You can then release the drag to open the file on the home screen.

• 2 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 1:17 AM, amedeomantica said:

Open button just bring a quicklook view where you cannot ever zoom

I haven't got Quicklook to work with Affinity on iPad at all. Are you saying that Quicklook works but just that you can't zoom into the document? Being able to access the feature at all would be a huge improvement for me. The only thing it has ever opened for me (on iOS, iPadOS) is very common formats like jpg, Pdf, etc. File management on iPad just seems flaky to me. For an example I have been able to Airdrop between my Mac and iPad.

• 2 weeks later...

This is quite a problem - I have only just bought Designer for Ipad but have used the desktop for a while. Having made a new file to play around with the interface and apple pencil, I saved the file - just as anyone would expect to. However, what this does is delete the file from the application and save it into the Files app from where it can no longer be accessed by Designer. In Files, it has the Designer file icon and the correct file extension...however it cannot be opened. It is just lost there in a kind of file purgatory or limbo.

Airdrop does not work either, because I tried airdropping the file to my mac and back again...nothing doing

Have you tried long press on file, fly out menu, select move and select iCloud Drive location?  It works for me for AP files.  I am assuming the saved file is located or saved on your Files, On My iPad, not iCloud Drive.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Just use the Open or Import from Cloud option in Designer (IPad), navigate to the File location and select your file. It will open. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't use iCloud drive, these options mentioned above don't help much, and don't really solve my issue.

The saved file was made on my iPad and is saved on my iPad; I just can't open it any more on my iPad...it seems absurd that I can't now open it on my iPad without first uploading it to a cloud server and downloading it again...am I wrong?

1 hour ago, Anjux3 said:

The saved file was made on my iPad and is saved on my iPad; I just can't open it any more on my iPad

All you need to to is use Open (or Import) from Cloud and navigate to the files location on your iPad. This method accesses all LOCAL file locations as well as cloud locations. Don’t let the cloud bit in the name put you off. 🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/