You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

let me know which brush

6 hours ago, Wosven said:

And worste, we don't have anymore the name of the brush when trying to modify it! There no more way to know which one is selected with the Bêta on Windows too.

To see which one is selected can't you look in the Brushes panel?

Also, if I edit a brush from the Brushes panel, I do see its name in the edit dialog (in both the beta and stable versions of Designer and Photo).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Also, if I edit a brush from the Brushes panel, I do see its name in the edit dialog (in both the beta and stable versions of Designer and Photo).

If one uses a brush and then changes even minimally its parameters, the highlight on the brush panel disappears, which is simply ridiculous since the brush remained the same. 

Furthermore, If one uses a brush then changes momentarily a function and then wants to go back to the brush there is no way to see which brush it was used. 

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Once you've switch to another brush tool like the Eraser or the Smooth tool brush, or switch back to the Brush tools, no brush is selected in the Brushes panel. The only way to modify the brush you're using is clicking on the button "More" in the contextual options at the top. And it doesn't display more than in my screenshot.

…unless you keep it open and select another brush: this time, it's displaying the same informations as modifying a brush from the Brush panel.

It's a bug, not the one I thought, but another one.

• Staff
19 hours ago, srg said:

If one uses a brush and then changes even minimally its parameters, the highlight on the brush panel disappears, which is simply ridiculous since the brush remained the same.

It all depends where you change it from. If you click on "more" in the context toolbar, and change any parameters, you should no longer have a selection in the brush panel. This is expected because you're not using any of those brushes, but a modified version of one that's there. 

If you right-click on a brush and choose Edit, it will edit the brush in place, and update it in the Brush studio. :)

9 hours ago, Gabe said:

It all depends where you change it from. If you click on "more" in the context toolbar, and change any parameters, you should no longer have a selection in the brush panel. This is expected because you're not using any of those brushes, but a modified version of one that's there. 

If you right-click on a brush and choose Edit, it will edit the brush in place, and update it in the Brush studio. :)

the problem is that "more" is not there in many functions, such as smudge or many others.

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

and change any parameters, you should no longer have a selection in the brush panel. This is expected because you're not using any of those brushes, but a modified version of one that's there.

Sorry, but that's the first time I read such thing. All other program keep the brush selected, since unless you save all sizes, all pressure options, or whathever option you're able to modify to end up with the proper needed stroke, modifying a brush you're using is part of the process.

And there's no way we can remember, only looking  at a stroke which brush we're using when we have a lot of categories, containing each one at least a dozen of brushes…

This isn't the first thread asking for this feature, and it's not because we are inept pseudo-artists, but because we're use to take  brush, real or virtual, and tweak and adjust it to obtain some result.  But in the end, we know which brush we've got in the hand.

It's a simple feature, simpler than being able to have the tool able to retrieve the same settings than a previous stroke, as asked on another thread.

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

This isn't the first thread asking for this feature,

Technically, this is not a thread asking for a feature at all. It is a thread purporting to report a bug, because it was posted in the Bugs forum.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Technically, this is not a thread asking for a feature at all. It is a thread purporting to report a bug, because it was posted in the Bugs forum.

Thanks, I guess I posted in the wrong place or clicked the wrong button....

26 minutes ago, srg said:

Thanks, I guess I posted in the wrong place or clicked the wrong button....

It happens :)

A moderator can move it if they want to.

And you have made some valid points for a feature request, in my opinion.

-- Walt
PC: