You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone,

I'm creating this topic because of an issue I have with Affinity Designer.

Let me show you an example on the last project I had to work on.

I have two circles who are curves, and I want the part of the smaller circle who is outside the bigger to disappear.

1.thumb.png.2a0b79ab6ab5ef32e70f75eda07a42ae.png.

Here's how I tried to do that :

1/ I duplicate them (because I'll need them again later), hide the first ones and and divide the new ones with a boolean operation.

2.thumb.png.229fa31ef57551f1a76d72c31e39128d.png

2/ I delete the part that I don't need.
3.thumb.png.ed93b3672ce1be72cb19d5afa024a2f8.png

3/ And finally, I combine them with the "Add" boolean oparation.4.thumb.png.4748ba7e05b7d3f91a7c780f2c4377c4.png

And, there is my problem. I still have a small space between them, we can see it a little on the last screenshot, but let me show it to you with a zoom.5.thumb.png.faa5db043adfcc201404f0b14458045d.png

How can I avoid this ? The spaces are here, they are real and can be seen at almost every level of zoom, even more if I apply a gradient on it (bad luck, this logo is with a gradient lol).

A last screenshot that will maybe help you help me :6.thumb.png.66e7111e54b4c04ee84c7d31775af19d.png

As you can see, the two "levers" that allow me to change the curve are not exactly at the same position, I think that my problem will be solved if they were, but why aren't they ?

Thanks a lot to those who will at last try to help me, that's a problem who completely prevents me to work on logo projects with Affinity Designer.

Chris

• Staff

Hi Chris Sokolov :)

Thanks for your screenshots, I can see your objects aren't pixel aligned in your document (ie there aren't located on whole pixels)

Please create the design with the X & Y positions for each object on whole pixels, as shown in my below screenshots -

image.png

image.png

Now follow your divide, delete and add workflow. You should find at 100% zoom these lines are no longer visible -

image.png

I hope this helps! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello John,

What exactly do you mean by deselecting the curves ?

Hello Dan,

On my screenshots, they were not in full pixels only when selected together, each object selected separately is on full pixels.

But ok, I got it, and in this case, what if I need to make a logo with my own custom grid, without regarding the pixels, say for example that I need the top left corner of my little circle to be at the exact center of the bigger circle, this is not about pixels, right ? How am I supposed to do then ?

Thank you for you time by the way :)

EDIT : I just tried again, and this time I was regarding to the pixels, but the prooblem is still here
455300646_Capturedecran2019-10-28a13_22_49.thumb.png.5cbf2b215b307f31bfd76c6c19f633a1.png

Edited by Chris Sokolov

Chris before you add them together, you see the squarish shapes, move the edges outwards slightly, see video attached.

Kapture-2019-10-28-at-12-51-51.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello firstdefence,

Thank you for the video, that's actually how I did it, but it feels more like a "hack" than a "clean" way to do it, maybe I'm wrong ?

The only thing with that method is the points that have nothing to do there, can I be sure that if I delete them my circle will stay a perfect cicrcle ?

I talk here about the two lowest of the screen, but the one in red at the top left has nothing to do there too.

1967930630_Capturedecran2019-10-28a15_19_00.thumb.png.2a40d5455e211c9d3df209583300bb9e.png

Thanks again !

i would not use divide in this case, just draw a shape around the part you want to delete,

select both and subtract

divide1.png.ba866ff31afca060f75825f260666a3f.png

select both add, the result has no extra nodes:

divide2.thumb.png.5b687bde22252e7d90bcae6eeab26ff4.png

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

6 hours ago, Chris Sokolov said:

What exactly do you mean by deselecting the curves ?

I mean that none of the curve components are selected. That is none of them are highlighted in the Layers panel. Just click anywhere outside your curves. I'm sure those lines are just Designer's indication of the object boundary which only show when your curve is selected.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

30 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I mean that none of the curve components are selected. That is none of them are highlighted in the Layers panel. Just click anywhere outside your curves. I'm sure those lines are just Designer's indication of the object boundary which only show when your curve is selected.

Ah, got it, but no, I can confirm, these lines are real.

1116531205_Capturedecran2019-10-28a20_27_20.thumb.png.a50e6ab0df49fea8a40872d4284648e7.png

On 10/27/2019 at 11:12 AM, Chris Sokolov said:

I have two circles who are curves, and I want the part of the smaller circle who is outside the bigger to disappear.

Why not just clip the smaller circle into the larger one? Everything remains editable so you could move the smaller circle around, change the stroke width of either or both circles, change the color of one or the other, etc.

clipped.jpg.a0c52846b23dd4069b0afe1843834c9c.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Damn, a few seconds to slow. :(

Just my thought on how to do this, the solution from Vicente is cool anyway:

1. Create the circles.

2. Drag the smaller circle into the bigger circle.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Bravo @Vicente Bermúdez Simplicity itself.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

34 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Simplicity itself.

What could be simpler than clipping? It is just one step to nest the smaller circle (or whatever) into the larger one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What could be simpler than clipping? It is just one step to nest the smaller circle (or whatever) into the larger one.

Clipping doesn't work on Donut shapes.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Clipping doesn't work on Donut shapes.

True, but there is no reason to use donut shapes to get the result that was asked for. A pair of stroked & unfilled ellipses constrained to circles does that & remain 'perfect' (to the limits of the bezier-based circles Affinity uses). It would take a bit of tweaking to match stroke gradients if that was desired but it is not hard to do that.

That way, everything remains editable & the node count is much lower.

Affinity Photo 

17 minutes ago, R C-R said:

True, but there is no reason to use donut shapes to get the result that was asked for. A pair of stroked & unfilled ellipses constrained to circles does that & remain 'perfect' (to the limits of the bezier-based circles Affinity uses). It would take a bit of tweaking to match stroke gradients if that was desired but it is not hard to do that.

That way, everything remains editable & the node count is much lower.

have you tried exporting as svg, and than open the svg in designer?

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

17 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

have you tried exporting as svg, and than open the svg in designer?

Have you tried using the donuts method with a smaller radius donut as the second shape, as in the OP's example? Doing that & maintaining the same thickness of both shapes is difficult to do precisely because the hole radius is adjustable by percent. Or have you tried changing the amount of or the position of the smaller circle that is hidden after the boolean operation?

My point not to find fault with the donuts method, which is indeed clever. It is just that all the OP said was wanted was for the part of the smaller circle outside the bigger one to disappear. There are several ways to do that. Some are better than others, but it all depends on the desired end result.

Affinity Photo