You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm experiencing a very strange issue with the "subtraction" tool in Designer.

I'm attempting to subtract one very basic shape (a circle) from another (a rectangle). For some reason, if the circle's diameter is larger than the rectangle height, I get some funky artifacts showing up around the edges where the shapes intersect. If the circle's diameter is smaller than or equal to the rectangle height, the issue 'magically' goes away.

I've attached a PDF of what's going on. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan

subtraction.pdf

Well this is really odd... Right after posting this I was rotating the shapes and tried subtracting again and it *miraculously* worked! Basically if you rotate the shapes by any amount (other than 0 and 180) the subtraction tool works perfectly. No idea why or how that makes any sense but fixed the problem anyway.

Thought I'd share in case others had the same issue.

-Ryan

• Staff

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's still some issues with boolean operations that may lead to the problems you are describing

If you have some .afdesign files where this is happening please post them here or send them to support@seriflabs.com along with a small description and link to this thread.

We are working to fix those issues. All problematic files will be very useful to test the new code/fixes.

All files sent to us will be deleted after being checked/used for testing purposes.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a lot off issue with bolean operations.

Here is another one I had yesterday with divide operation. I try to be as precise as possible. I hope it heps…

First i draw a random rectangle

l1vmcnh.png

Then I resize it to 50 mm square

auDEJvF.png

I copy it and paste over, the resize again to a 40mm/60mm rectangle

tbtoP6m.png

I copy-paste again then rotate to 90°

7VH107v.png

Then I apply the Divide operation : ouch !

Sn06iqA.png

It works only if I these steps one by one, exactly this way (resizing / rotation / resizing again…) and not with any dimensions.

But I've encoutered similar issues several times…

More precision about the issue above :

1 - It works with any new file (Affinity Designer Trial 1.3.2)

2 - If I transform rectangles to curves it is the same…

3 - If I rotate any element randomly, no bug anymore :

wFY5S7w.png

4 - And the weird deformations are different depending to the position on the layout :

k0gnG7L.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi littleredhat,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I've reproduced the issue here and have logged it to be looked at. The boolean operations code is currently being improved in v1.8 Beta. If you have any other files where the boolean operations fail please let us know/upload them for us to take a look. Thanks for your report.