You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When will JPEG2000 (JPF) support be added

I currently have version 1.7.2
I bought Affinity Photo almost 2 years ago and love the program. I used to use Photoshop CS5 until it became incompatible with my new MacOS.
I find that Affinity Photo is actually superior to Photoshop in many aspects, but there is one thing that I need to make it complete.
I need it to open .JPF files, also known as JPEG2000.
I posted about this before over a year ago in another thread, but the reply I got was that there were no plans to add JPF support.
I noticed in the latest update that TGA support was added.
I was hoping this update included JPF support, but when I tried to open one of my old JPF files all I got was an error saying it was an unsupported file type.
If TGA was added why is it a problem to add JPF support?
I don't need it to export to JPF, just have the ability to open older JPF files so that I can convert them into TIFFs.
The JPF files I have were originally created by Photoshop CS5. They were saved with LAB 16 bit color.
I can use a program built into my Mac to open and convert the JPF files, but it will only convert them to RGB 8 bit color, which is not their original color mode and bit depth.
I have several hundred of these files and do not want to have to buy a separate program to convert them while preserving their original color mode.
Will you eventually add JPF support?
Like I said, I don't need JPF export, I just need to open the JPF files I have so that I can convert them into TIF while preserving their original LAB 16 bit color.

It is doubtful the Affinity devs will ever support JPF files.

If, like you write, your intention is merely to convert all your 16bit JPF files to 16bit Tiff or PNG files, I suggest you look into the fully functional 30 day trial of PhotoLine, and use its batch processing to convert all your files in one go. PhotoLine reads and writes 16bit JPF files and retains the 16bit per channel information.

PS you find this batch conversion option under File/Functions/Batch Converting in PhotoLine. The dialog is self-explanatory.

All the JPEG 2000 files I have on my Mac use the .jp2 file extension. (That is the standardized file extension for ISO/IEC 15444-1 conforming files.) All my Affinity apps (among others) can open them, for example by using the right-click "Open with..." Finder option:
147230310_Openwith.jpg.d4aae5ebee8088776ba306ecd4f08d92.jpg

I do not have any JPEG 2000 files that were created with the .jpf extension; however, when I change the extension of a .jp2 file to .jpf, "Open with..." shows me this:

1763650050_Openwithforjpf.jpg.61bb9eba2043e902061c6e94b3a0c84e.jpg

Affinity Photo opens these renamed files without issues. I am not sure why the others do not but all the current & recent Affinity app versions will open JPEG 2000 files if they use the standard .jp2 extension.

BTW, I get somewhat similar results if I rename using the alternate .j2K extension -- all Affinity apps will open them, but oddly "Open with" only shows me the same list as for .jpf.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The free programs XnViewMP and XnConvert will also process JPF files, but as I don't haveany I don't know if it will convert JPF files that are LAB 16 into TIFF files that are also LAB 16.

It would be easy for you to install one of them and try, though, DeepDesertPhoto. Or if you'd like to provide a sample file I can check for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In case it was not clear from my previous post, at least on Macs you should be able to open .jpf files directly from the Affinity Photo File > Open menu.

To open them in Affinity Designer, change the extension, either to .jp2 or to .j2k & they also can be opened directly from that app's File > Open menu.

Affinity Publisher also can open .jp2 or to .j2k files, but weirdly not from its File > Open menu (because they are greyed out). To open them in that app, either use the Finder "Open with..." option & choose Affinity Publisher from the list or drag the file & drop it onto either the app's icon in the Applications folder or onto its Dock icon if you have it on the Dock.

But only Affinity Photo can open .jpf files without changing the extension to one of the two other extensions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

It is doubtful the Affinity devs will ever support JPF files.

If, like you write, your intention is merely to convert all your 16bit JPF files to 16bit Tiff or PNG files, I suggest you look into the fully functional 30 day trial of PhotoLine, and use its batch processing to convert all your files in one go. PhotoLine reads and writes 16bit JPF files and retains the 16bit per channel information.

PS you find this batch conversion option under File/Functions/Batch Converting in PhotoLine. The dialog is self-explanatory.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try PhotoLine as a last resort. But since I use Affinity as my primary photo editing program I would like to use Affinity for the conversion.

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

All the JPEG 2000 files I have on my Mac use the .jp2 file extension. (That is the standardized file extension for ISO/IEC 15444-1 conforming files.) All my Affinity apps (among others) can open them, for example by using the right-click "Open with..." Finder option:
147230310_Openwith.jpg.d4aae5ebee8088776ba306ecd4f08d92.jpg

I do not have any JPEG 2000 files that were created with the .jpf extension; however, when I change the extension of a .jp2 file to .jpf, "Open with..." shows me this:

1763650050_Openwithforjpf.jpg.61bb9eba2043e902061c6e94b3a0c84e.jpg

Affinity Photo opens these renamed files without issues. I am not sure why the others do not but all the current & recent Affinity app versions will open JPEG 2000 files if they use the standard .jp2 extension.

BTW, I get somewhat similar results if I rename using the alternate .j2K extension -- all Affinity apps will open them, but oddly "Open with" only shows me the same list as for .jpf.

All of my JPEG2000 files were created with Photoshop CS5. The extension for all of my files is .JPF not .jp2 or .j2K.

I currently use Affinity Photo version 1.7.2
I checked to see if it would update to 1.7.3 but it won't.
That might be due to my running it on Mac High Sierra.

I did try to rename one of the files to both .jp2 and a copy of it to .j2K but Affinity Photo 1.7.2 still will not open it.
I still get the error that it is not a supported file type.

If you're able to open .j2K and .jp2 it could be due to your using version 1.7.3

I don't know for certain, but since mine will not update to 1.7.3 it is possible that version 1.7.3 is not compatible with High Sierra OS.
I know that some programs will not update if they detect an incomparable operating system.

That was the reason I got Affinity Photo was because when I upgraded my Mac from Lion to High Sierra Photoshop CS5 quite working.

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In case it was not clear from my previous post, at least on Macs you should be able to open .jpf files directly from the Affinity Photo File > Open menu.

To open them in Affinity Designer, change the extension, either to .jp2 or to .j2k & they also can be opened directly from that app's File > Open menu.

Did you try any of those experiments with actual .jpf files, or only with .jp2 files that you had renamed to .jpf? As there is a different extension, it is likely that though JPF is a JPEG2000 format, it is in some way different from JP2 files, and thus perhaps not supported by Affinity.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The free programs XnViewMP and XnConvert will also process JPF files, but as I don't haveany I don't know if it will convert JPF files that are LAB 16 into TIFF files that are also LAB 16.

It would be easy for you to install one of them and try, though, DeepDesertPhoto. Or if you'd like to provide a sample file I can check for you.

I just tried the program and it did not work.
When I opened it with the program colors were wrong and it only saved it in RGB 8 bit, not the 16 bit LAB that Photoshop originally saved it in.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, or the file has a code in it from Photoshop that prevents other programs from converting it.
If you want to try I am including a copy of the file I have tried to open.

Chris Birthday009.jpf

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Did you try any of those experiments with actual .jpf files, or only with .jp2 files that you had renamed to .jpf? As there is a different extension, it is likely that though JPF is a JPEG2000 format, it is in some way different from JP2 files, and thus perhaps not supported by Affinity.

No, as I said I do not have any JPEG 2000 files that were created with the (non-standard) .jpf extension. However, from what I can find online about the JPEG 2000 file format, the .jpf, .jp2, & .jpk extensions all should refer to the same format, one that conforms to the ISO/IEC 15444-1 "baseline" standard.

Edit: apparently, the "f" signifies floating point 16 or 32 bit depths, as specified in the "Part 2"  ISO/IEC 15444-2 standard, so I am guessing that some apps like the Affinity ones can't handle that.

29 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

I don't know for certain, but since mine will not update to 1.7.3 it is possible that version 1.7.3 is not compatible with High Sierra OS.

I am not sure what you mean by "will not update to 1.7.3" but as my sig below my posts show, I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 & versions 1.7.3 of all three Affinity apps.

If you can attach one of your JPEG 2000 files created in Photoshop CS5 to a new post, I can try opening it on my Mac if you want. Or maybe if you change the extension from ".JPF" (all caps) to the lowercase ".jpf" it will work for you.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

No, as I said I do not have any JPEG 2000 files that were created with the (non-standard) .jpf extension. However, from what I can find online about the JPEG 2000 file format, the .jpf, .jp2, & .jpk extensions all should refer to the same format, one that conforms to the ISO/IEC 15444-1 "baseline" standard.

I am not sure what you mean by "will not update to 1.7.3" but as my sig below my posts show, I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 & versions 1.7.3 of all three Affinity apps.

If you can attach one of your JPEG 2000 files created in Photoshop CS5 to a new post, I can try opening it on my Mac if you want. Or maybe if you change the extension from ".JPF" (all caps) to the lowercase ".jpf" it will work for you.

The original file was .jpf but I did create copies and renamed them to .JPF, .jp2, and .j2K and not one of them would open.
I originally bought Affinity Photo from the Apple App Store back in 2017.
Since then the App Store has updated the Affinity Photo program several times and the last update I got was 1.7.2
I just checked the App Store and there are no further updates for my version of Affinity Photo.
So 1.7.2 is as high as mine will go.

I don't have the other Affinity Apps, just don't need they others.

If you want to try and convert one of my files here is the one I have been experimenting with.
It is the original .jpf version saved by Photoshop CS5.

Chris Birthday009.jpf

6 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

I just checked the App Store and there are no further updates for my version of Affinity Photo.

You may need to tell the App Store to Refresh its catalog, or you may need to sign out of the Store and sign in again.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

I originally bought Affinity Photo from the Apple App Store back in 2017.
Since then the App Store has updated the Affinity Photo program several times and the last update I got was 1.7.2

Then something is wrong with what the Mac App Store ("MAS") is displaying for you because if your Mac can run version 1.7.2 it can run 1.7.3. The usual suggested fix for this is to sign out & then back into your MAS account & recheck for available updates. If that does not work, sometimes moving the Affinity app to the Trash does, but that is a risky step unless you have a backup of the app somewhere like on a Time Machine volume.

8 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

If you want to try and convert one of my files here is the one I have been experimenting with.

I tried that & got the same 'unsupported file type' error you did in Affinity Photo. However, I could open it with Apple's Preview app, where it opens as an 8 bit RGB format file. Exporting from Preview using its File > Export > "JPEG-2000" format preset & any Quality setting from "Least" to "Lossless" resulted in a .jp2 file like this Chris Birthday (lossless).jp2 file that all three Affinity apps had no problem opening.

So it looks like >8 bit depth JPEG 2000 files are a problem for Affinity, while some apps like Preview will open them but only at 8 bit color depth.

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You may need to tell the App Store to Refresh its catalog, or you may need to sign out of the Store and sign in again.

I managed to get the 1.7.3 update, but it still will not open .jpf or any of the other variations.
Here is a screenshot of the error I get.

I can only conclude that either the file is corrupted or Photoshop put some kind of code in it preventing it from being opened by other photo editing programs.

Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 8.18.57 AM.jpg

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Then something is wrong with what the Mac App Store ("MAS") is displaying for you because if your Mac can run version 1.7.2 it can run 1.7.3. The usual suggested fix for this is to sign out & then back into your MAS account & recheck for available updates. If that does not work, sometimes moving the Affinity app to the Trash does, but that is a risky step unless you have a backup of the app somewhere like on a Time Machine volume.

I tried that & got the same 'unsupported file type' error you did in Affinity Photo. However, I could open it with Apple's Preview app, where it opens as an 8 bit RGB format file. Exporting from Preview using its File > Export > "JPEG-2000" format preset & any Quality setting from "Least" to "Lossless" resulted in a .jp2 file like this Chris Birthday (lossless).jp2 file that all three Affinity apps had no problem opening.

So it looks like >8 bit depth JPEG 2000 files are a problem for Affinity, while some apps like Preview will open them but only at 8 bit color depth.

I did manage to install the 1.7.3 update. I had to sign out and sign back in to get it.

As far as using the Preview App I have already done that before and got the same results. It will only convert the low resolution version and in only 8 bit RGB. That is not the original color mode or size that was saved with PSCS5.

Either the file is corrupted or Photoshop put in a code preventing other photo editing programs from opening the original data in the file.

I will have to try another program I guess.

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I forgot to mention that I did do the JPEG2000 lossless conversion you suggested, but it only produced an image of 900 pixels and 8 bit RGB.
The original image saved with PSCS5 was over 2000 pixels in size and in LAB 16 bit.
A low resolution 8 bit RGB version is useless to me, so I will have to try another program.

If another program cannot work then I will have to rescan all of these old family photos, which could take weeks since I have several hundred of them.

I originally stored them in JPEG2000 to preserve the high quality of a TIF but with only a third of the size.
I will have to remember not to use JPEG2000 again since the programs capable of using it is apparently limited.

2 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

If another program cannot work then I will have to rescan all of these old family photos, which could take weeks since I have several hundred of them.

Your best option, such as it is, may be to bite the bullet get a Photoshop subscription plan, maybe the $31.49/month plan & then not renew it once all your files are converted.

Affinity Photo 

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Your best option, such as it is, may be to bite the bullet get a Photoshop subscription plan, maybe the $31.49/month plan & then not renew it once all your files are converted.

I never get into subscription plans. That is why I went from CS5 to Affinity Photo.
When CS5 quit working on my newer Mac the Adobe techs told me that Creative Cloud was the only photoshop related program that would work on my newer Mac.
I live in a remote area and my internet connection is rather slow. I don't like programs that have to connect to the internet in order to work properly.

I may try that PhotoLine that someone else mentioned.
PhotoLine has a free 30 day trial. If it works I might be able to do the conversions before the time expires.
But if it does not work then rescanning the original photo prints will be the only way.
I will just have to save the rescans as TIF next time.

If PhotoLine works or not I will post it here so you all know whether or not that program will work with the types of JPFs I have.

Well the common problem with JPEG2000 are possible patent/license problems for supporting the whole capabilities of that software format, thus there aren't that much freely available third party sources available for that format. See for example JPEG 2000 here where you also will find some overview of supporting software, though not all of those listed there might support 16-bit LAB. - You might have indeed better used TIFF for your scans in the past, since it's a more commonly and widely used format (JPG2000 is pretty dead nowadays and was always more used by commercial medical image generating devices etc. in the past).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The channels are read as RGB, while the actual channels are saved as LAB. So all the 16bit LAB information is still there, but it is interpreted as an RGB image: meaning the L channel resides in the R channel, the A channel in the G, and the B channel in the B channel.

The is caused by saving a LAB 16bit image in JPG2000 in Photoshop. Photoshop allows the user to do things with certain file formats which lead to trouble when trying to process these images in just about any other image editor or viewer. Comparable to how Adobe abuses the TIFF format to embed a fully layered PSD file, which only Photoshop is able to read correctly.

@DeepDesertPhoto Saving LAB channels in a JPG2000 file wasn't a great idea in the first place. RGB would have been more than enough for these slides.

Next is coming up with a method to copy/convert the LAB information to RGB channels while working in RGB mode and automate that conversion in an action. 

3 minutes ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

It worked! I will create an action for you, which can then be used to batch process the hundreds of images you have in one go in PhotoLine.

I attached the fixed TIFF version, which is LAB 16bit and opens in Affinity Photo.  Here is the result for you to check:

192514103_ChrisBirthday009.thumb.jpg.644b8c787d88ea69ae7c65b67b241333.jpg

Chris Birthday009.tif

Glad you figured it out.
I am still in the process of downloading the program PhotoLine.
My internet is kind of slow and it says it will take another 10 minutes to download the zip file.

Anyway, the reason I save in LAB color is because that color mode mimics the color perceived by the human eye and it makes more accurate color prints.
I have tried to print in RGB but the colors are never what I see on the screen.
When I print in LAB mode the colors are almost identical to what I see on the screen. The only difference is the prints in LAB are not quite as light as I see them on the screen, but for me color accuracy is more important.

As soon as I complete the download I will give it a try.