You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Max number of nodes

Is there a maximum number of nodes you can have on a curve?  Cos I think I broke Designer!!

I am creating a large map using the Vector brush on the iPad.  I was working on the coastline, and because I want it very rough with lots of crinkly bits (Hitchhikers Guide joke there), I was zoomed right in and did it in bits.

After that, I thought it would be nice to join them up 

I got about 3/4 of the way around my coast when it crashed.  So I opened it back up, backed off a few joins and tried again.  It crashed at EXACTLY the same point.

So, I opened it on the desktop. I have a brute of an i9 with big graphics card and loads of ram.  Well, it didn't crash as such, but at the same point, it kind of ground to a halt!

So much so that I couldn't work on it.

I opened it back up on the ipad (where my history was) and undid my way back around the coast.  And it is fine now.

The file is only small (32mb) as I have only done the coast so far and have a couple of reference jpgs on there.

By joining them up, I created a very long thin line with, erm, I have no idea how many nodes.  Loads of them!  At a very rough estimate, each little curve has around 50 nodes and I joined together about 240 of them, so heading towards 12,000 nodes?  I think it gave up at around the 10,000 mark, but I am guessing.

EIther way, it didn't like it one bit!!!! :) 

CC

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.

• Staff

Hi CC Hogan,

I'm not aware of a max number of nodes.  Would you be able to provide a sample afdesign file for this?  If you'd rather not make it public, just upload it to our Dropbox here and i can at least get it logged to see there is anything that can be done to improve performance :)  

Hi, Stokerg

I have made a stripped-down version for you to play with which I have added to this thread in case anyone else wants to play. 

The curves are not joined up, but I have put a text box on the drawing describing exactly what I did and showing where it went wrong.

This is a problem with the number of nodes on a single curve.  Without joining those curves up, there is no problem at all, even if I duplicated the layer several times.

For extra info, my iPad is the 2nd Gen 12.9 pro (iPados 13).  My desktop is Win 10 (current version), 14 core, 64mb ram. 

Map Node Problem - Copy.afdesign

On a fun little learning curve with Affinity. Or a vector curve. One of the two. Just a writer learning to draw.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, stokerg said:

Hi CC Hogan,

I'm not aware of a max number of nodes.  Would you be able to provide a sample afdesign file for this?  If you'd rather not make it public, just upload it to our Dropbox here and i can at least get it logged to see there is anything that can be done to improve performance :)  

Hi Stokerg - did you get anywhere with this?