You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Edit Extensions in macOS Catalina 10.15 Photo

Good afternoon, emmrecs01, this link has been passed to me to keep you informed of the problems with macOs Catalina

I also have difficulties between Apple Photos and Affinity.
I would like someone to answer this question that I have:
Before taking out a definitive version of the operating system (Apple) they are supposed to make beta versions so that software manufacturers, in this case Affinity, can verify that everything works with their products.
It is like that or it would have to be Apple who solved the problem.

Catalina 10.15.1 does not solve the problem.

Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you.

Just a gentle reminder about this persisting problem. I have noted that some competing photo editors have received updates that solves the issue with saving edits back to Photos.app in Catalina. can we expect the same for Affinity Photo?

Thanks

Not only can you not save edits back to Apple Photos but any previous edits that you have saved, before Catalina, can not be exported. The edits are lost and a jpeg of the original image is exported. This means that any edits that you made prior to Catalina can not be accessed.

Another undesirable feature is that any images edited in Affinity Photo and saved to Apple Photos, prior to Catalina, can not be duplicated in Apple Photos.

The Beta version was released in June and these problems have been known since then. There was no warning issued by Serif. This is very bad customer care from Serif, we have been badly let down

Please clarify: are we trying to save a *.afphoto or export a *.JPG? Surely only the latter could be accepted by Photos?

Also an earlier post to this forum claimed to have solved this problem, though I have not tested it myself.* https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/91443-affinity-photo-has-stopped-saving-directly-back-into-mac-os-photos/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-542222

*[added later] Instructions on adding a $1 app and using it do not make sense to me. Possibly OS has changed since creation of the app. Unable to return AP-edited photo to Photos library except by AP export and Photos import.

Trivia: can not duplicate photo in Photos. Affinity Photo displays file *.JPG as *.jpeg in title bar area at top.

Edited by LenC
Additional experience with app referenced in my original posting.

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD

• 1 month later...

New to Affinity Photo. This is a crucial problem and I am experiencing the same thing. Take a photo from Apple Photos and use the Affinity Extension to get to Affinity Photo. Make edits and find that there is no simple way to get the photo back into Apple Photos. Three months is enough time to solve this problem, especially since the beta version of Catalina has been out for over a year.362607308_ScreenShot2019-12-28at10_11_34AM.thumb.png.3be9c4262572da4e22f1a6c932e8301d.png

iMac 27" Core i7 running MacOS 10.15.2. 

Affinity Photo 1.7.3

29 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi ethereal7,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you. This issue should be fixed in the upcoming Affinity Photo 1.8 - we already have a fix for it but it still has to pass the QA testing.
Thanks for your support and patience.

As we don’t have a macOS beta release, is the outlook months for QA/beta?  The problem has affective so many, if not all macOS  users using Apple Photos and iCloud as their daily driver, it also seems totally unfair, even as many repeatedly reported the low AP cost.  A new car, without a working engine, is useless.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Cecil,
I don't have an internal Beta either yet. I do hope it doesn't take much time but i don't have an eta, sorry. 

Understand MEB and appreciate your reply.  My concern, Serif has not publicly, to my knowledge, warned those prior to purchasing macOS version AP of problem.  Buy today, tires will be furnished in the future.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

24 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

I was just about to buy a new iMac but with this issue I guess I'll put it on hold for awhile.

Curious as why you would delay purchase of iMac, just for problems with AP.  The new iMac’s are great, as is Catalina.  Every program has bugs, beta’s to fix and upgrades.  No guarantees AP will fix all problems, without creating new ones, such is life in all OS upgrades.  

Cecil 

2 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Curious as why you would delay purchase of iMac, just for problems with AP.  The new iMac’s are great, as is Catalina.  Every program has bugs, beta’s to fix and upgrades.  No guarantees AP will fix all problems, without creating new ones, such is life in all OS upgrades.  

My current iMac runs everything.  If AP has problems there's no use trading everything for something less than that.  I would rather wait until I hear AP is doing well before the switch.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, pmdegroot said:

Dear Affinity, please hurry up and fix this problem.

Have you tried the latest Mac beta? In this topic (now split out from the beta announce one), @Patrick Connor mentions in this post that there is a potential fix for this issue built into it, but because it does not work in all circumstances, it is not listed in the announce topic as a fix.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

Hi, a little "up" to this issue. It seems the v1.8 (v1.8.3 as of now) is not fixing this (very annoying) issue.

AP is such a good tool to edit the pictures (especially the old ones I am scanning) and it's a pity not being able to use it. The AP add-on in Photos are not so bad, but very limited.

Please let us know if there is any progress on the fix or any available workaround.

Thank you.