2 hours ago, PedroOfOz said:

XnViewMP can read APub files if they're renamed .afdesign (I can't see the point of renaming to .afphoto!).

FWIW, when I try that with a few multi-page .afpub documents, for those files all that happens is I get a generic Affinity Designer document icon in the browser thumbnail view, but no preview, no Image properties in the Info window, no histogram display, & no EXIF info like I do for 'real' afdesign documents.

For one page afpub documents, I do get a thumbnail & all the other stuff. If the document includes a master page, whatever is on the single page also shows up in the thumbnail & preview.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, when I try that with a few multi-page .afpub documents, for those files all that happens is I get a generic Affinity Designer document icon in the browser thumbnail view, but no preview, no Image properties in the Info window, no histogram display, & no EXIF info like I do for 'real' afdesign documents.

For one page afpub documents, I do get a thumbnail & all the other stuff. If the document includes a master page, whatever is on the single page also shows up in the thumbnail & preview.

Ok, Thanks. Perhaps saving one page of the multi page .afpub document in .afdesign as a kind of sidecar file? (if one requires a thumbnail preview). 

Sure, it's a less than ideal workaround however until there's an Affinity DAM it's probably better than not having anything at all :) 

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with strong elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

Please add an auto-background remover feature in affinity photos in 2019. It's one of the most searched feature from mainstream photo editing app. The current options are too cumbersome and mostly inefficient for most newbies to mid users. This and the very affordable price point of AFP will appeal even broader to new and prospective users.

16 minutes ago, goshen said:

Please add an auto-background remover feature in affinity photos in 2019.

There is currently no such thing as an automatic background remover that will work reliably on every photo. Pixelmator Pro & the most recent version of Photoshop  include a 'smart' background remover feature that relies on artificial intelligence processing to recognize some types of foreground objects, but they have to be 'trained' on tens of thousands of photos to do that, & they still have trouble recognizing the objects they 'know' in photos that are too different from the ones they were trained with.

It may be different in the future, but for now there is no substitute for human intelligence & skill for this sort of thing.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

The erase background brush works amazingly well, for those of us used to the old complex selections + quick mask painting + feathering, etc.... IMO, powerful use of selections and going down to zoomed detail retouch is the set of things to do and stick with, but that brush can cut a lot of work, you use it then do the remaining stuff with the older and manual ways...

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

Roadmap?

In the 1.7 Beta I could not find a way of rotating the image by 90° - had expected a modifier key to press - nothing apparent.  It is silly to have to drop a menu and click several times, is it not?

Please advise

Thanks

1 hour ago, TrevorW said:

In the 1.7 Beta I could not find a way of rotating the image by 90°

How about Document > Rotate 90° Clockwise/Anticlockwise?

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

How about Document > Rotate 90° Clockwise/Anticlockwise? 

Or their respective shortcut keys, as shown on that menu.

Edit: These functions don't require the beta, by the way.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.243 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.249 Beta

2 hours ago, TrevorW said:

It is silly to have to drop a menu and click several times, is it not?

If you mean the View > Rotate Left & View > Rotate Right menu items, they only rotate the view of the document in 15° steps, not the document itself. (That is why they are on the View menu.)

Thanks guys.. us old  fellas need clear signposts..

And today I am trying to set up a photo preset for a new document in A3 and the beta programme keeps changing one of my sides to 4.5in !!?

9 minutes ago, TrevorW said:

And today I am trying to set up a photo preset for a new document in A3 and the beta programme keeps changing one of my sides to 4.5in !!?

Discussions about issues like this don’t belong in a feature roadmap thread. Please create a separate thread in the relevant Affinity Photo Beta forum.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

4 minutes ago, Sapiento said:

Also, 'Copy Layer Effect/Style' from one layer to another would be a huge help.

Do you mean something other than "Paste Style" & "Paste FX" on the Edit menu?

1 hour ago, Sapiento said:

In the current version there's no way to curve text. That would be a very useful feature.

You can’t curve text while keeping it as editable text, but after rasterizing it you can distort it.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you mean something other than "Paste Style" & "Paste FX" on the Edit menu?

I already suggested to add this into the context menu of a layer.

All former Photoshop users expect it to be there. And it's such an easy thing to fix.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.221

23 minutes ago, Steps said:

All former Photoshop users expect it to be there.

A lot of Photoshop users expect almost everything to be the same in Affinity Photo as in Photoshop. Personally, I don't see any reason why they should. Serif is not trying to make a Photoshop clone & they have been very clear about that.

26 minutes ago, R C-R said:

A lot of Photoshop users expect almost everything to be the same in Affinity Photo as in Photoshop. Personally, I don't see any reason why they should. Serif is not trying to make a Photoshop clone & they have been very clear about that.

It is just a little thing that helps people new to Photo a lot if they learned Photoshop before.

And it's a quicker way to copy & paste styles between layers anyway - even if PS  would not do that.

I find it a bit ridiculous not wanting to "copy" even very small ideas like this not to be "a clone". As if this would be the final reason for Adobe to sue Serif. Is on that menu item a patent? Seriously.... o.O

We do not talk here about having a PhotoMerge wizard copy or something else thats very PS specific.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780

41 minutes ago, Steps said:

And it's a quicker way to copy & paste styles between layers anyway - even if PS  would not do that.

What is so slow about using keyboard shortcuts for this? At least for me, that is a lot quicker than having to right click to open a contextual menu & then find & select the appropriate item on that menu. I don't even have to think about where the current tool's pointer is in the workspace.

I have seen a lot of suggestions about adding various things to the contextual menu popup -- so many that if more than a few of them were added, the menu would be complex & difficult to use, much like it is in some other apps. I don't want that!

More to the point, there is a learning curve for every app. It is impossible for all of them to conform to any one 'standard' -- that isn't even true for Adobe's flagship products -- so why anybody would expect things to be there in the Affinity apps in the same place as in PS is something I really do not understand.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Well, there's simply an aweful lot of stuff inside Photoshop which is slimmer in its implementation, more cleverly thought out, matching more workflow preferences. Copying Layer-Effects happens to be just one of those things.

I think it's perfectly valid to keep bringing this stuff up when the same thing simply isn't available inside APhoto, more cumbersome or too strictly geared towards just one particular editing preference* – which is a bad thing as well. I guess nobody would complain when Serif came up with features which deviate clearly from Photoshop but at the same time display a truly unique quality and potential which justify the decision.

*Example: Missing context menus – Serif expects the user to move across the screen each time to reach often used tool parameters.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What is so slow about using keyboard shortcuts for this?

As a hobbyist/amateur I'm not willing to learn so many shortcuts and particulary not the ones that need three keys. And I also don't want to change those keyboard settings.

I just use the standard stuff for copy, paste, cut, save and so on. The ones that you learn once and use everywhere.

For really special actions like "Paste FX" I hesitate to learn.

But for professionals who use such a tool in their daywork this is of course another thing.

I learned shortcuts for Eclipse IDE, too, as I work every day with it. This is another thing.

2 hours ago, Keith Reeder said:

"You expect it to be there" does not equate to "all" former PhotoShop users. 

:D

Yes, I was thinking about that for a bit before I put it that way, but because the option is really present there and I learned it from many tutorial videos to go with this option I strongly believe that this must apply to (almost) all of them and not certainly not only me.

Yes, but lets really add "almost" to handle a few exceptions. I'm with you here. :)

And it's an assumption. That's clear. Maybe I should put up a poll to get some data on that.

20 minutes ago, Steps said:

But for professionals who use such a tool in their daywork this is of course another thing.

Yuppp !

20 minutes ago, Steps said:

I learned shortcuts for Eclipse IDE, too, as I work every day with it. This is another thing.

Yeah... or VIM/Emacs... or a flight simulator... Used a bit the former (me and my Linux background, lol...), and a lot the latter.... Plus, yeah, doing graphics for a living, hotkeys are not even optional.. not in 2D, neither in 3D, definitely needed in other system/coding tools...

It's muscle memory, tho.... It's easier than it seems, and it has its sets of benefits, I believe even for non-pro, as well. My father (my mother, too) is taught by me some stuff that rarely a hobbyist use, ever. And he loves it. Basically as allows him to work way more efficiently, do stuff he thought impossible, and once trained, the machine removes less time from him, and gives less problems.... and THAT he loves, lol.  :D

And is just habits... My father learnt computers to actually write, work... So, he learnt with WP 5.1. Tons of key shortcuts. He ALWAYS understands faster, and retains, whatever is key shortcut based. My mother, the opposite, as she began with Word later on, and previously only handled those text based "GUIs" of the AS 400 and the like which rarely needed a shortcut.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM. 
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.