AI Filters may not be a bad thing, so long as it's not something we must use. There's already AI type filters, with the various auto corrections, such as PSP's One step photo fix, LR's Auto Tone, but you don't have to use them. They can give you a starting point, if you don't like what was done, simply undo it. Aren't the In Painting, Blemish Tool, Patch Tool, a form of AI? Try doing what they do without the AI they use. If you done post processing before that you know just how long, involved and a pain it was. Just because it's available in the program does not mean you have to use them to process your images. Some people do like them if for no other reason it tends to speed up their workflow.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Win10 Home: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

I don't have PS so not 100% sure on this, but I think I saw a demo of levels where there were three droppers, blackpoint, whitepoint and grey.  The blackpoint dropper was placed on the darkest part of the image to set the blackpoint, whitepoint on the lightest.  The advantage of doing this on the image rather than with the histogram is that you can choose which parts of the image should be within the dynamic range, perhaps letting some go black or white.

9 hours ago, Finchwake said:

I don't have PS so not 100% sure on this, but I think I saw a demo of levels where there were three droppers, blackpoint, whitepoint and grey.  The blackpoint dropper was placed on the darkest part of the image to set the blackpoint, whitepoint on the lightest.  The advantage of doing this on the image rather than with the histogram is that you can choose which parts of the image should be within the dynamic range, perhaps letting some go black or white.

Yes, I was asking for this long time ago. I hope they will implement this feature soon.

I was asking also for exact copy and functionality of PS's "image size", too.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

There is another approach to dynamic range control that may be of assistance to you in the Develop module.  In the upper right corner are 3 icons that allow you to see the areas of the image which are out of dynamic range of both highlights and shadows.  By clicking on one, and adjusting the appropriate slider (black/brightness) you can adjust to your taste.

3 hours ago, Iam1of2 said:

There is another approach to dynamic range control that may be of assistance to you in the Develop module.  In the upper right corner are 3 icons that allow you to see the areas of the image which are out of dynamic range of both highlights and shadows.  By clicking on one, and adjusting the appropriate slider (black/brightness) you can adjust to your taste.

Thanks for that suggestion, I've just experimented with that approach and it is useful but it has the drawback of not being able to backtrack and readjust.  A non-destructive filter layer would be much better.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:52 PM, Finchwake said:

Thanks for that suggestion, I've just experimented with that approach and it is useful but it has the drawback of not being able to backtrack and readjust.  A non-destructive filter layer would be much better.

This clip alarm should be available also in normal edit mode. Live curves filter would benefit much from this.

Hello everyone,

First, I have to say that I am in love with Affinity Designer and now I am trying Affinity Photo out.
I come form a lot of using PS Cs6 and usually I use it for digital painting.

Now I am trying out digital painting in AP and it feels a little bit weird. Most because of the behaviour of the colour picker tool.
I am okay with it that I cannot bind it to the alt key (which is standard in pretty much any software I use alóngside PS) but when I am in the flow of painting
and I want to pick a colour I am used to hold the key for the duration of picking the colour but when I let go it snaps back to the tool I used before which is the brush tool.
AP does not do this (Or I haven't find the option). When I activate the colour picker and pick a colour and let go of it, it stays on the cp.

So my request would be a feature that allows user to enable temporary tools that are active as long as the key is pressed but switch back to the tool when the key is released.

Thanks in advance,
Gomorrah

On 12/1/2018 at 5:44 AM, GomorrahDotD said:

When I activate the colour picker and pick a colour and let go of it, it stays on the cp.

With the Paint Brush Tool selected, hold down the alt key & click & drag -- this should change the pointer into a color picker for as long as the key is held down.

Tip: the Status Bar at the bottom of the window shows the current tool's options in abbreviated form.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Could we get a post pinned to the top of this thread or otherwise visible that tells where the latest version of the roadmap is to be found, or even contains it?

AP 1.6.7, MacOS 10.14.3

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB

1.7 betas viewed on early 2015 MacBook Air, 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB

On 5/11/2018 at 3:55 PM, rpkphoto said:

Despite having purchased Affinity Photo several months ago, I'm still using Photoshop 6.0 for one primary reason: I love using Bridge. So two questions: (1) Is there a Bridge-like feature on the Affinity Photo horizon? And (2), - this may be a stupid question - since Affinity Photo recognizes PSDs, can I use my trusty old PS Bridge with Affinity Photo?

The solution is the free XnViewMP.  It is way better than the free Adobe Bridge CC 2019 (which in turn is better than Adobe Bridge CS6 - but will still not display thumbnails of afphoto files, but will call Affinity depending on your file associations). XnViewMp will display thumbnails of all sorts including the various raw, afphoto, psd etc and will then open them in Affinity by selecting "Tools/Open with".  That icon can also be added directly to the Toolbar.

I did encounter a small issue. Some .psd files had old masks in the channel layers and these sometimes masked the thumbnail and preview image.  The solution was to open these psd files and delete the old masks and the thumbnails would then display okay.

You may also be interested in the free SageThumbs which adds thumbnails to Windows Explorer.  It was slightly more susceptible to some further old unused masks in the Channel layers and I had to open up a few more psds and delete a few more of these. All the types noted above now display okay.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:22 PM, afinity-user said:

Ability to edit the info / EXIF details. Kind of expected Affinity to already have this functionally. If it exists already, then please reply with how to edit this information (beyond the description field).

If you want to just change dates, I use EXIF Date Changer and Photo Date Organizer.  The first will change the date & time created and has the option to step the time along by, say, one second (as a batch job run on a folder) and the second will change the date amended to equal the date created.  I do this so that photos will display in the required, "sorted by name sequence" on our iPad - not in Apple's rather stupid "last date amended" order - that nobody wants.

On 1/4/2017 at 6:38 AM, MEB said:

Hi hlarledge,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We do intend to develop a separate application (DAM) for managing libraries/images. It will work seamlessly with Affinity Photo (there's no eta for this yet).

I suggest that you look into licensing/taking over the free XnViewMP and save yourself an awful lot of work.  In the meantime point those downloading trials in that direction.

On 11/24/2016 at 9:48 AM, reynoldsarts said:

As a long time aperture user recently switching over to Affinity, I am wondering if there is any plans in the future to make an image file system for Affinity Photo? If there was anyway to hook this into the file system for either aperture or photos that would be nice but a dedicated file system would be even more intriguing. Please tell me Serif/Affinity is thinking about a new beautiful update

Try the free XnViewMP product to sort and browse your photos.  Open into Affinity with"Tools/Open with" .  You can add that "Open with" icon onto the toolbar.

Currently XnViewMP can't read APub files. Presumably that will eventually happen.

The screen resolution file size of both Photo and Designer in XnViewMP is lower than the actual size however sufficient for the intended purpose of viewing ... :)   

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with strong elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

11 minutes ago, PedroOfOz said:

To view .svg in XnViewMp (which Adobe Bridge doesn't) uncheck ... as per screenshot 

Or just remove the text " svg" from the list in the extensions column.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

1 hour ago, PedroOfOz said:

Currently XnViewMP can't read APub files. Presumably that will eventually happen.

The screen resolution file size of both Photo and Designer in XnViewMP is lower than the actual size however sufficient for the intended purpose of viewing ... :)   

Why should it read .APub files? Publisher is not a bitmap editor.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

3 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Why should it read .APub files?

Because they’re exactly the same format as *.afdesign and *.afphoto files! The only difference between an APub file and a version 1.7 AD or APh file is the filename extension.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Because they’re exactly the same format as *.afdesign and *.afphoto files! The only difference between an APub file and a version 1.7 AD or APh file is the filename extension.

So, you want to say Designer and Photo support pages, indexes, TOC...? :)
In that case why we can't use these features in AD and APh?

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

2 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

So, you want to say Designer and Photo support pages, indexes, TOC...? :)
In that case why we can't use these features in AD and APh?

You need to distinguish between using a feature and creating an object. We can’t create text on a path in APh but we can open an AD file containing text on a path, and both the text and the path will be editable in APh. Similarly, we can’t create linked text frames in AD but we can create them in APub and then edit the file in AD. :)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Yes, I distinguish it very well, but to support some feature of another program, you need to have the same code.

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7

39 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Yes, I distinguish it very well, but to support some feature of another program, you need to have the same code.

You only need to have the same ‘back end’ code, and that has already been written. Adding the UI to allow creation of new objects would mean a lot of extra work for the developers, and it would go against the principle of having several lean, focused, tightly integrated apps instead of a single, bloated one.

Alfred online2long.gif

24 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

To display a preview or thumbnail image of a document, XnViewMP just needs to support a feature that can do that, not every feature of the app that created the document.

It already can do that for both Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer documents, including the 1.7 beta versions, so it seems quite likely that it will be able to do the same for Affinity Publisher documents at some point in the future as well.

BTW, it should be obvious that XnViewMP is not limited to displaying previews of documents created by bitmap editors. If that was true, it could not display previews of SVG or text files.

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

It already can do that for both Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer documents, including the 1.7 beta versions, so it seems quite likely that it will be able to do the same for Affinity Publisher documents at some point in the future as well.

11 hours ago, PedroOfOz said:

XnViewMP can read APub files if they're renamed .afdesign (I can't see the point of renaming to .afphoto!).

Admittedly I've only played around with APub for a couple of hours when the beta was first released so my test for this was just a one page document saved as .afdesign (containing text, graphics, vectors etc).

There's no issues viewing the document in XnViewMP. Multi page documents may be a different story (pun intended!). Perhaps others may like to follow that up?    

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with strong elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics