I’m not referring to the cheesy plugins which have amateurish looks, I’m referring to the ability to create extensions which allow me to run my own created Scripts, or to display all my own created Effects in a customised panel, speeding up my workflow :)

High-End Photographic Prints

Oh, I see.... that Python or JS thing they were going to add in the future, maybe ? Not sure if I read that....

Edit: I am in the process of learning both, so I'll welcome any of these.... :D My priorities are in the brush system, tho... by a mile....

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:03 PM, MEB said:

Hi amandas,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Artistic filters will be added in a future update/version later. Regarding crop to selection, this was requested quite a few times and might end up being added to the program as well (that's up with the dev team now). Thanks for your feedback.

That's great news! Thanks!

Hi,

Depth of field, driven by an mask (3D Rendering Z-depth) and better support for PS plugins ... that´s the only things i wish :)

Great work !!!

Technical illustrator, Digital Artist and graphic enthusiast... since Amiga ´89

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Modo | 3ds max | SolidWorks | AfterEffects ... all on Windows ( and i like it ). Waiting for Affinity Publisher and an Affinity-version of AfterEffects 

Visit my private (german) website : http://www.3dpeek.videospielgeschichten.de/

On 1/13/2018 at 12:50 PM, m-b said:

Try XnViewMP and you don't need Mediabrowser or Finder anymore.

XnView is very fast (faster than Adobe Bridge), you can configure it massive to your own taste and it shows thumbnail previews for affinity files. And the best, complete free for private use!

xnview.thumb.jpg.9ca4d13ad7008aab7db905ac8cb0cbfa.jpg

Cannot get XnView to show thumbnails for .afphoto files. Am I missing a trick?

2 minutes ago, ColinG said:

Cannot get XnView to show thumbnails for .afphoto files. Am I missing a trick? 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/62645-which-dam-for-designer/&tab=comments#comment-324807

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Thank you - that is quite possible a game changer for me and my relationship with AP.  All I need now is for a none destructive Develop layer and I'm home and dry.

Incidentally, will Adobe Bridge read afphoto files?

Better batch processing. I’ve tried loading just 5 images so that I could apply adjustments to all simultaneously and Affinity just grinds to a crawl and hangs. Tried it with jogs and RAW images - same result - slowwww. If I want to do a focus stack, for example, I I have to open each image individually and apply adjustments one at a time first. Not efficient.

Hi, please is there a plan to enable saving changes (non-destructive, in an external file) done to RAW files in Develop Persona, so that I do not have to re-do all adjustments once I need to make just some small change on the picture?

Thanky. petr

Hi pk0036.

As you may know, raw photos brought into Affinity cannot be altered, they are basically used as a reference starting point for post processing changes.  As soon as you click APPLY, the raw file is essentially retired and you are then working on a replica, with or without changes.  You can then save this image with Affinity's unique extension of the file name.  From that point on, you will non destructively be processing a different image.  Your raw file is safe, and your creative juices can flow and you can ultimately export the image to one of many different formats.

I've tried AP now for a year, switching back between AP and PS6, watching endless hours of instructional videos, reading the book, and, sadly,  Affinity isn't quite there yet.

A non-destructive development persona, which allows me to go back an re-tweak my files as tastes (and skills) evolve is probably on the top of my wish list. That would go with a smarter file format that records those changes.

Better stylus support for my Surface tablet is a close second.

Automatically aligning layers is a third. I like to blend layers by hand, and AP just doesn't quite cut it. I am banging my head against certain images only to switch over to PS and be done in a minute. Yes, practice makes perfect, but it shouldn't take that much practice.

Another thing that drives me crazy: I never know what my masks are doing. Somehow the thumbnail never updates as fast as I would like - if it does at all. Again, in that other software it's pretty obvious and has never bothered me. In AP I am always preparing for a fight.

There are plenty of things to like but the above are some of the deal breakers.

So, maybe, hopefully, version 2 will get it right. I'd really hate to switch to CC - but as soon as my current camera fails I'll have to make a decision.

:-(

In my case instead, despite some (different than mentioned in recent posts) corners to polish, AP does very well the deal compared to PS (while considering that one the king,  but only technically, not as an option for me, except for company jobs) ... I am not a photographer, but I work in many areas, at high (er...pro) level.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

I found AP very promising and of course it requires a lot of polishing, however, from point of view of workflow portrait / landscape, I would say there are few things that in my opinion should be addressed first:

1. Numeric / precise input / control in Curves and Blending Ranges;
  2. Live filter with "Develop Persona" capabilities;
  3. Transparent editable Mask overlay for regular Layer mask (not quick mask);
  4. More flexible Frequency separation filter with possibility choose type and amount (with preview) of Blur with result of two Live Filters that could be modified later as well;
  5. Possibility to manually choose / swap lens / camera profiles including color (might be custom) profile.

Thanks.

When Publisher gets the status they want it to be, for this first stage ? 

I'm joking.... have no idea....

5 hours ago, IPv6 said:

So... when to expect new version?

As always, the only answer the staff provides for questions like this is "when it is ready." That may not be very helpful, but it is the only thing they can say that would not be a guesstimate that might be much too optimistic.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.0.135 & Affinity Designer 1.7.0.9 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

I'm sure you've been asked this many times since Affinity Photo was released: When I work on a photo opened from a particular folder I would like, when exporting the photo, to be taken to to the photos home folder (where it was loaded from). Instead Photo seems to go to the last folder exported to. So then I have navigate to the folder I opened the photo from before exporting. Any chance of that happening?

I'm hoping they start adding AI filters to Photo. It seems the ways of Luminar's AI filter, Photolemur's simple auto-fix software, and some other apps, this is where Photo needs to go. We all know that they can compete with Photoshop almost punch for punch, but that doesn't mean they are the future to match up to anymore. There are lots of apps that are integrating tomorrow's technologies today. I hope they come out punching, Luminar is coming out with a new smart DAM that will be free for Luminar 2018 users, and they're just giving up the goods to their customers. I hope we can get in on that technology action! 

On 6/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, pjglad said:

In the Basic Panel in Develop Persona you can set Black Point by using the Blackpoint slider. I realize you can set the White Point via Curves, but why no Whitepoint slider? Thanks.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, D23 said:

I'm sure you've been asked this many times since Affinity Photo was released: When I work on a photo opened from a particular folder I would like, when exporting the photo, to be taken to to the photos home folder (where it was loaded from). Instead Photo seems to go to the last folder exported to. So then I have navigate to the folder I opened the photo from before exporting. Any chance of that happening?

I agree. I have accidentally saved in the wrong folder as a result and have spent time locating it.

In the Basic Panel in Develop Persona you can set Black Point by using the Blackpoint slider. I realize you can set the White Point via Curves, but why no Whitepoint slider?

I sure would like to have white point slider. Raffling it with exposure/brightness is cumbersome.

I wish to have a chance to keep my .abr brushes on my NAS drive, folder linked to Affinity Photo, so every time I add new brushes to this folder and launch Affinity Photo, new brushes will appear on the brushes list.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:20 PM, D23 said:

^^ Yes please! Even better if they allow the user to specify the option. Maybe some people like it as it is now so allow them to keep it, and allow the rest of us to do as above. A nice tick box in preferences please :)

On 10/1/2018 at 6:03 PM, evtonic3 said:

I'm hoping they start adding AI filters to Photo. It seems the ways of Luminar's AI filter, Photolemur's simple auto-fix software, and some other apps, this is where Photo needs to go. We all know that they can compete with Photoshop almost punch for punch, but that doesn't mean they are the future to match up to anymore. There are lots of apps that are integrating tomorrow's technologies today. I hope they come out punching, Luminar is coming out with a new smart DAM that will be free for Luminar 2018 users, and they're just giving up the goods to their customers. I hope we can get in on that technology action! 

Yay, let the AI take over all creativity for you. Let someone else's opinion get programmed and then spread around the world to tell you what a good photo is, rather than forming your own opinion and skills. Way to kill art!

AI Filters may not be a bad thing, so long as it's not something we must use. There's already AI type filters, with the various auto corrections, such as PSP's One step photo fix, LR's Auto Tone, but you don't have to use them. They can give you a starting point, if you don't like what was done, simply undo it. Aren't the In Painting, Blemish Tool, Patch Tool, a form of AI? Try doing what they do without the AI they use. If you done post processing before that you know just how long, involved and a pain it was. Just because it's available in the program does not mean you have to use them to process your images. Some people do like them if for no other reason it tends to speed up their workflow.

Affinity Photo 1.7.0.367, ; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645