You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask-to-below and Release bug in Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481

• Open the application, and the attached test file: Affinity Publisher - mask to below + release bug.afpub

• In the Layers panel (View > Studio > Layers),
    - right-click on the top item, labelled “(Ellipse)”,
    - and then left-click on Mask to Below.
    This produces a combined layer-item labelled “Photo (Image)”, comprising the photo and its elliptical mask.

• Click the little triangle at the left of the combined item, to expand it.
    The item labelled “(Ellipse)” should now show as the only item selected.

• Right-click on the label, “(Ellipse)”, and then left-click on Release.

For me, Affinity Publisher then crashes and terminates, every time these steps are repeated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System details:
Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481
Windows 10 Home (© 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.)
Intel(R) Core(TM) Ì7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
System type:    64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Graphics: GeForce GTX 950M
DirectX runtime version: 12.0

Edited by PatrickOfLondon
"Linked image" could not work for others.

19 hours ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

For me, Affinity Publisher then crashes and terminates, every time these steps are repeated.

I can't confirm that. However, I do not have access to the image (Linked). This could be an indication that there is something wrong with the image or its origin. Can you provide the file with the embedded image?

6 hours ago, Michail said:

I can't confirm that. However, I do not have access to the image (Linked). This could be an indication that there is something wrong with the image or its origin. Can you provide the file with the embedded image?

Thank you for looking at this, and my apologies for the previously attached sample file, which contained a link to an image that, obviously, no one else could access.

I have now removed that file from my original post. Here, instead, is a version containing an embedded image. The behaviour is still the same, for me, as described above.

Affinity Publisher - mask to below + release bug - embedded photo.afpub

3 hours ago, Michail said:

Also with the new file there are no problems with me. Does this also happen with other documents if you do the same?

I created a new file from scratch, incorporating a different image and a different shape. That file is attached (Af......file 2b).

When I open this file and then:

• left-click on the cloud shape at the top of the Layers stack, to select it
  • right-click on it and left-click on Mask to Below
  • left-click on the little triangle next to the top item in the layers panel...
    the cloud item should show as selected
  • right-click on the cloud item and left-click on Release

...the same thing happens: program termination.

Affinity Publisher - mask to below + release bug - embedded photo - file 2b.afpub

On 10/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, PatrickOfLondon said:

...the same thing happens: program termination.

I can't crash APub with your file. The document is so simple that I don't think it's the document. So it could be a system related incompatibility, or a peripheral device.
Maybe it helps to reset APub (start the program with the Ctrl key pressed). I don't have another idea right now :|.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area of the program in the latest customer beta, namely

• Releasing a mask by right clicking on the layer name and not the thumbnail deletes both the parent and the mask
  • Releasing a mask by right clicking on the layer name and not the thumbnail can crash the app

If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon